Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New Di2 Parts Optimized for Synchro Only?
Quote | Reply
The new Di2 Time Trial stuff seems optimized to be Syncro-only. Both the new brake levers and new extension shifters are only single-button. I like the idea of Syncro, but I also like choices... especially if Syncro chooses to lose its head (like it did on a friend of mine's road bike). So, anyone think of any issues with this? Or alternatively, if you have both sets of single-button shifters, is there a setup that allows traditional shifting if you wanted to turn Syncro off?

I am soon to pull the trigger on a Di2 upgrade for my tri bike, and I am hoping to optimize all of the choices for my preferences.
Quote Reply
Re: New Di2 Parts Optimized for Synchro Only? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
The new Di2 Time Trial stuff seems optimized to be Syncro-only. Both the new brake levers and new extension shifters are only single-button. I like the idea of Syncro, but I also like choices... especially if Syncro chooses to lose its head (like it did on a friend of mine's road bike). So, anyone think of any issues with this? Or alternatively, if you have both sets of single-button shifters, is there a setup that allows traditional shifting if you wanted to turn Syncro off?

I am soon to pull the trigger on a Di2 upgrade for my tri bike, and I am hoping to optimize all of the choices for my preferences.

You can program this stuff to do whatever you want. So yeah you could add climbing shifters to your face if the e tubes are long enough and you have the system all linked together.

Personally I'm not interested in Syncro shift, so I'm using the new Di2 group for 1x setups only. That said, I am going to mix and match for my next build. I'll have the older two button base bar things on both brifters, with the standard FD shift left and RD shift right, then use the new, single button extension shifters programmed for the rear derailleur. Basically, every time I shift the front derailleur on a TT bike I'm out of the saddle either coming up from aero or going back into aero, so I think I'll like this setup, even as it's somewhat counter intuitive. Besides that I like to dump into the small ring at stop lights. If it's too counter intuitive I'll go back to the old shifters on both extensions and base bar.

Prices are fairly similar across the board between old and new stuff, and in my opinion the new Ultegra 8060 shifts quieter and crisper than the previous model, plus you get the D-fly data without having to buy a d-fly. And the new junctions are great too
Quote Reply
Re: New Di2 Parts Optimized for Synchro Only? [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kileyay wrote:
That said, I am going to mix and match for my next build. I'll have the older two button base bar things on both brifters, with the standard FD shift left and RD shift right, then use the new, single button extension shifters programmed for the rear derailleur. Basically, every time I shift the front derailleur on a TT bike I'm out of the saddle either coming up from aero or going back into aero, so I think I'll like this setup, even as it's somewhat counter intuitive. Besides that I like to dump into the small ring at stop lights. If it's too counter intuitive I'll go back to the old shifters on both extensions and base bar.
I've been using this setup for quite a while, works great for me. There were one-button extension shifters available long before the new synchro-shift came out, to me it's not un-intuitive at all. I can't think of any situation where I would want to shift the front chainring while on the aerobars; on the other hand IMHO accidentally shifting the front chainring while on the aerobars could be disastrous. I never understood why people preferred the two-button extension shifters.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the insights. I had not thought about doing something like your hybrid configuration-- single buttons on the extensions and double-buttons on the brakes. I am planning to install the EW-RS910 on the back of an extension, so I could still use the extension buttons for synchro shifting, but switch out of synchro mode if I wanted to and use it like your setup. To ponder this setup versus a single-button permanent synchro setup...
Quote Reply
Re: New Di2 Parts Optimized for Synchro Only? [jsk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jsk wrote:
I never understood why people preferred the two-button extension shifters.

If you want to run 2x and don't plan on running Shimano brake levers.

My YouTubes

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you know of a good resource to help teach me how to program my new Di2 set up. I have to admit I didn't really give my bike shop any direction so I ended up with the new break lever shifters (one button on each side) and the two button shifters for the aerobars. Right now the break lever shifters only control the rear derailleur.
Quote Reply
Re: New Di2 Parts Optimized for Synchro Only? [bigredrude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
best start is to download the etube program and plug it in to your bike. once in there you can see all of the customization.

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Re: New Di2 Parts Optimized for Synchro Only? [bigredrude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This might help, there’s some links to dealer manuals in there as well

http://carltonbale.com/...ng-you-need-to-know/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jsk wrote:
kileyay wrote:
That said, I am going to mix and match for my next build. I'll have the older two button base bar things on both brifters, with the standard FD shift left and RD shift right, then use the new, single button extension shifters programmed for the rear derailleur. Basically, every time I shift the front derailleur on a TT bike I'm out of the saddle either coming up from aero or going back into aero, so I think I'll like this setup, even as it's somewhat counter intuitive. Besides that I like to dump into the small ring at stop lights. If it's too counter intuitive I'll go back to the old shifters on both extensions and base bar.

I've been using this setup for quite a while, works great for me. There were one-button extension shifters available long before the new synchro-shift came out, to me it's not un-intuitive at all. I can't think of any situation where I would want to shift the front chainring while on the aerobars; on the other hand IMHO accidentally shifting the front chainring while on the aerobars could be disastrous. I never understood why people preferred the two-button extension shifters.

I've never understood why people only have one button extension shifters? If I am on a gradual climb into a headwind or even a short climb that you hit hard and try to push over in aero eventually needing to go to the little ring I don't have to get out of aero if I don't need to so why not have the option there? The options are on opposite sides so can't say I've ever accidentally changed to my little ring from them.

On the synchro only issue I was chatting to some girls in Kona that had just got it and taken it to bike shops and Shimano reps that said they couldn't program it out. I swore to them that can't be right but they said they had tried and were told otherwise. I have no doubt it can but Shimano I would have thought you would have to choose that option or at least make it easier or more well known to shops and reps to turn off. Personally I want to drive a manual bike...
Quote Reply
Re: New Di2 Parts Optimized for Synchro Only? [LAI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LAI wrote:
jsk wrote:
I never understood why people preferred the two-button extension shifters.

If you want to run 2x and don't plan on running Shimano brake levers.
I guess, but to me one of the big advantages to electronic shifting is being able to shift from both the basebar and the extensions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yeah, some of us don't care to shift from the bull horns. but I hear yeah, it's hard to reach over to the extensions when sitting up. ;)

My YouTubes

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I am planning to install the EW-RS910 on the back of an extension

Can you please confirm this can be done with the standard extension diameter?

Sr. Salitre
Quote Reply
Re: New Di2 Parts Optimized for Synchro Only? [SrSalitre] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SrSalitre wrote:
Can you please confirm this can be done with the standard extension diameter?
Here is a thread with some discussion and picture examples: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=6506920#p6506920
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks, I had missed that one!

Sr. Salitre
Quote Reply
Re: New Di2 Parts Optimized for Synchro Only? [LAI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LAI wrote:
yeah, some of us don't care to shift from the bull horns. but I hear yeah, it's hard to reach over to the extensions when sitting up. ;)

Have you ever had the privilege?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is it different than being on the hoods on a road bike?

My YouTubes

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I Agree

I am cool with 1 button at the EXT but i want both buttons at the basebar. When dinking around town on the basebar, and coming to lights etc, having to 1 hand up to the extensions is a PITA and potentially dangerous.

2 Button hoods with disc brake future is not in the cards unfortunately
Quote Reply
Re: New Di2 Parts Optimized for Synchro Only? [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shambolic wrote:
On the synchro only issue I was chatting to some girls in Kona that had just got it and taken it to bike shops and Shimano reps that said they couldn't program it out. I swore to them that can't be right but they said they had tried and were told otherwise. I have no doubt it can but Shimano I would have thought you would have to choose that option or at least make it easier or more well known to shops and reps to turn off. Personally I want to drive a manual bike...

AFAIK synchro-shift can be sequenced across the Manual, S1, S2 programs on any installation. This can be done right from the junction box, some bike computers and using e-tube project software/apps.

The Kona Di2 users may have been misquoting the bike shop due to their configuration. If their bikes were set up with one button shifters on both the brake levers and extensions it would be tough to have them programmed for anything but synchro-shift. The only way I see a manual or S1 synchro-shift setup working for all single button shifters is if e-tube allows programming the FD to be shifted up down from brake buttons and the RD from extension buttons? This setup would be very useful IMO. I can't verify this option as I don't have any of the single button shifters on a bike.

My long term Di2 fear is losing 2 button tri/tt shifting options:( If that happens I guess I'll have to become a 1x convert...
Quote Reply