Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Recommend me a new chef knife.
Quote | Reply
Been using Wustof knives for a while and looking to switch it up. Looking at Myabi. What else should I be looking at? Shun?
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend me a new chef knife. [s.gentz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Now I really like my Henckels Professional, But if I had the money I would commission one from a well established private blacksmith.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a few of the Shun classic and they're great.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend me a new chef knife. [knewbike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's what my mother in law uses currently. I feel they are on par with my Wustof. A little bulky. Thinking of going to a Japanese knife. They seem to have a thinner profile. Have held the shun knives but haven't tested them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Shun that is absolutely fantastic, so much so that I sort of 'save' it for special meal preps. Use an 8" Global day to day, which is also great, though some find them a little bit light.

Shameless plug for https://www.chefknivestogo.com/. Run by a couple who used to be my bosses when they ran a different small business selling furniture back in the '90s.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
s.gentz wrote:
That's what my mother in law uses currently. I feel they are on par with my Wustof. A little bulky. Thinking of going to a Japanese knife. They seem to have a thinner profile. Have held the shun knives but haven't tested them.

Wife has a Global. Too light. I like bulky.
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend me a new chef knife. [wimsey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice site. Great pricing and some nice alternatives. I will investigate more later. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
knewbike wrote:
Now I really like my Henckels Professional,

I have a set of these. They need a good sharpening but they have lasted very well for 15 years or so.

I'd like to add a santoku knife. The few times I've used one really I liked that style.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a shun classic, but have been using a Suisin for a few years. Certainly better, but also a lot more expensive. Is way bigger, but significantly lighter than a Wustof 10” that I have.

http://www.korin.com/...&category=280067
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend me a new chef knife. [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How does the edge hold up? Are you sharpening with stone or ceramic sharpener?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
s.gentz wrote:
How does the edge hold up? Are you sharpening with stone or ceramic sharpener?

The edge holds well. I hone regularly, and use a stone sharpener. I was gifted the Bob Kramer sharpening kit a few years back and it's works great.

I have a handful of their knives, and I use the 8" chefs knife almost all the time, unless I have some specialized cutting to do.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend me a new chef knife. [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm thinking of replacing my chef and slicer. They are my most used. Shun is def on the shortlist. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been using my Henckels 10" chef's knife for over 35 years now. The only wear is that the ink on the blade has faded. I will pass these knives on to my kids...if they ever learn to cook.

http://www.zwillingonline.com/...lling-four-star.html

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend me a new chef knife. [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
I've been using my Henckels 10" chef's knife for over 35 years now. The only wear is that the ink on the blade has faded. I will pass these knives on to my kids...if they ever learn to cook.

http://www.zwillingonline.com/...lling-four-star.html

IMO nothing less than the PRO S line
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would second checking out a local maker for a great knife. You can get exactly what you want or they may have some already made. Plus your contributing to the local economy and helping a small business.

I'd offer but don't make kitchen knives or play with stainless yet. It's on my list but need a kiln to heat treat.

knife networks or a few other web sites may be helpful for research.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the Shun 6" Utility and the 10" Chef's knife. I use the Utility about 90% of the time (small work space). Both knives are fantastic.
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend me a new chef knife. [Elvis Runner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you prefer the 10” to the 8”? Why?
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend me a new chef knife. [Tik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure I have a local guy in Buffalo but will look into it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The wife and I bought a set of the Miyabi Artisan series recently and they are fantastic. Look like art work too!

Quote | Reply
<<Do you prefer the 10” to the 8”? Why? >>

I wish I had gotten the 8". I have tight counter top space and the 10 feels too big to work comfortably in my cramped area. Even if my work space was larger, I suspect I would still prefer the 8. I don't need to make really long cuts often and don't really need those last 2 inches. The knives also came really really sharp and though I was careful and mindful when I first got them, I inevitably still cut myself a few times. All else being equal, I think its easier to cut yourself with a longer blade. I keep them sharp, but not as sharp as they were when purchased.
(When my wife and kids are not around and I fight imaginary bad guys off like Steven Seagall as the cook in Under Siege, then the 10" would be preferable).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tik wrote:
I would second checking out a local maker for a great knife. You can get exactly what you want or they may have some already made. Plus your contributing to the local economy and helping a small business.

I'd offer but don't make kitchen knives or play with stainless yet. It's on my list but need a kiln to heat treat.

Most knife snobs actually prefer good carbon steel knives over stainless. Stainless can be a royal pain in the ass to get an edge on when it dulls.
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend me a new chef knife. [racin_rusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
racin_rusty wrote:
Tik wrote:

Most knife snobs actually prefer good carbon steel knives over stainless. Stainless can be a royal pain in the ass to get an edge on when it dulls.

Yeah I've been checking out the link that wimsey posted. Pretty nice looking knives. Most carbon steel.
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend me a new chef knife. [racin_rusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very true. That stainless can be difficult to sharpen. Everything I make now is 1095 high carbon. Sold a few and I always make sure the buyer understands you have to care for the knife. I have a couple I’ve made for the house that are awesome sharp but smaller. Don’t have a big enough forge yet for longer knives.

People tend to want to just throw them in the dish washer which would cause rust and potential handle issues due to the heat depending upon material.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If your interested I know a local guy in Idaho that does kitchen knives. Send me a PM and I’d be happy to share his contact info and web site. Great guy that belongs to our local knife association. Our president was a contestant on Forged in Fire.

It’s a pretty fun hobby.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tik wrote:
Very true. That stainless can be difficult to sharpen.

I've had a pretty decent stainless one that I've used for years, but I've noticed that now it IS getting harder to keep sharp

Has anyone seen this?

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply

Prev Next