Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

There is cheating, and then there is ULTRA cheating
Quote | Reply
https://deadspin.com/...hows-he-w-1821998352

Quote:
Race officials were aware of Agnew’s suspicious performances, so they made a special effort to track him this year. What they found was that Agnew was not clocking in at a remote checkpoint at the halfway point of the mile-long lap. He was instead sitting in the bathroom for seven minutes and then jumping out to cross the mat at the start/finish at the right time to keep his “mile pace” consistent. He was disqualified from the event, and then had his results stripped from him after a review showed he was a repeat offender.

Full details at:

https://www.marathoninvestigation.com/...ew-aty-dq-cheat.html

Seriously though, WTF.
Quote Reply
Re: There is cheating, and then there is ULTRA cheating [elf6c] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I really wish I could say I am surprised, but I guess I am at a point where I just assume there are people willing to literally do anything to be able to pump their tires at the water cooler Monday morning.

Sad

Ask me how much I love my Kiwami LD Aero Trisuit
Last edited by: Leavitt: Jan 11, 18 18:28
Quote Reply
Re: There is cheating, and then there is ULTRA cheating [Leavitt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Even more details here- he was sponsored FWIW, not to mention prize money ect:

https://www.marathoninvestigation.com/...ner-kelly-agnew.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He couldn't win any other way so he figured out a way to win certain races for a few years. Sad to say but some people are just that way, both in school and in athletics.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haha reminds me of this one at the Comrades Marathon...

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/two-brothers-one-ultra-marathon-and-the-greatest-cheat-in-running-history
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Best comment I saw on that article:

Quote:
He's staying *in* the bathroom? He's the yin to The Mad Pooper's yang.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does it count if its not ion strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He should get a medal for staying in the bathroom for 7 minutes!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The presence of a double letter should have raised some suspicion, albeit in his given name.

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Re: There is cheating, and then there is ULTRA cheating [Jorgan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jorgan wrote:
The presence of a double letter should have raised some suspicion, albeit in his given name.

Somebody in the comments section asked, what's the deal with the double letters? lol, they have apparently never heard of slowtwitch.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Confused.. What was he doing, riding in the car, and then taking a break to make sure his mile times were consistent? Or just cutting the course every few laps?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At the bottom of the deadspin article was also this one about a lady who is making a dubious claim to have thru-hiked the PCT:

https://deadspin.com/...-on-the-p-1818647235

Quote | Reply
spookini wrote:
Confused.. What was he doing, riding in the car, and then taking a break to make sure his mile times were consistent? Or just cutting the course every few laps?

As I understand it, he was crossing the timing mat, then walking to the porta potty, staying in there for 7 minutes, then walking back around and crossing the mat again, thus getting credit for another lap. It was some 1-mile multi-lap type of race.

There was an account given at another race though where he was apparently seen by other racers riding in the truck with his wife during the race.
Quote Reply
Re: There is cheating, and then there is ULTRA cheating [Dominion] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anybody that sits in a port- a- pot for 7 min several times in an hour deserves the over all win trophy. That guy is some kind of tough. How can anyone hold their breath for 7 min more than once a week?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For us old timer Ultra Runners, we remember the whole Garside round the world record scam. Then there was Stan Cotrell and bogus claims of the Trans Continental record. Both having been debunked, mostly thanks to Nick Marshall's exhaustive research of the matter(s).

Some folks just need some time on the couch.

PS: Whatever became of Julie Miller? I heard she's now taken to Ultras.
Quote Reply
Re: There is cheating, and then there is ULTRA cheating [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas, I happen to agree and believe that people who engage in cheating to this degree and intricacy have some sort of mental illness.
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
elf6c wrote:
Seriously though, WTF.

There is a lot of mental illness in endurance sports. Very sad.
Quote Reply
Re: There is cheating, and then there is ULTRA cheating [Dominion] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dominion wrote:
Jorgan wrote:

Somebody in the comments section asked, what's the deal with the double letters? lol, they have apparently never heard of slowtwitch.

You'd be surprised

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: There is cheating, and then there is ULTRA cheating [pdxjohn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow. I had not heard that about Stan Cottrell, nor had I heard his name since he spoke to and ran with me and my high school cross country team in S Korea back in the 80's. That is really sad to hear. He was very inspirational and I remember his advice of dropping your inside arm in a tight turn rather than keeping it chugging along by your waist.

I'll have to read up on this in between watching videos of dogs that can't catch food on the interwebs......

thechromedome
http://www.favoritefinishlines.blogspot.com
http://www.cupcakecartel.org
My 20% off code for 2018 FS Series races: tricred18
"there are no drafters in heaven" - C Bonner
Quote Reply
Re: There is cheating, and then there is ULTRA cheating [crujones#33] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is easy to come to this conclusion that someone who would cheat must have some sort of mental illness when logically no one in their right mind would do such a thing, but I also tend to think some people are just dishonest or cheaters.

With cheater after cheater being discovered, it would be fantastic if credentialed psychologists, research institutions, or whatever the appropriate professional is needed to analyze the mindset of cheaters in order to provide more insight as to why these cheaters cheat. There certainly are so many factors that would go into this research and the likelihood of cheaters assisting in the research would probably be slim (most cheaters don’t believe he or she cheated), but maybe one day more info will be available. (Or maybe someone on here knows of such research and can post the link.)

Candidly, every time I do see stories like these I appreciate my own abilities even more, as mediocre as I am in triathlon.

crujones#33 wrote:
Thomas, I happen to agree and believe that people who engage in cheating to this degree and intricacy have some sort of mental illness.
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
elf6c wrote:
Seriously though, WTF.

There is a lot of mental illness in endurance sports. Very sad.
Quote Reply
Re: There is cheating, and then there is ULTRA cheating [G-man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
G-man wrote:
Anybody that sits in a port- a- pot for 7 min several times in an hour deserves the over all win trophy.

What? It takes me about 10 minutes just to get properly settled in, get my reading materials all sorted out, etc. That's before "executive time" starts, and then after that proper bidness. Then a leisurely wind down. Then gotta get all cleaned up and sorted out. Can easily clear 20-30 minutes.
Quote Reply
Re: There is cheating, and then there is ULTRA cheating [aztri81] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd really like to understand the motivation of cheats and liars as regards their sports "accomplishments." There are so many instances, and so many stories.

What gets me even MORE: how do people feel they can get away with this business in these high-tech days? Is part of the thrill seeing if they can get away with it? Or are they obsessed enough with chasing the "accomplishments" at any cost that they are oblivious? What's going on in their heads that they (possibly) cheapen the success of those who play by the rules, ignoring others for their own reward? I'm sure they don't think of that aspect. It's all about them, and the attention they can get.

I would never dream about cheating or making up some fantastic achievement that I hadn't earned. I wonder what drives people to do that?

I've posted on other threads about an older swimmer I know who tells people she swam in the 1960 Olympics. She has two Olympic Rings tattoos on her back, having got the second one when she found that the first one was covered by her swimsuit. She even commented about it in the last month on a FB post of mine, when I mentioned the Olympians I've met, trained with, and competed against. She took the opportunity to say I'd left her off the list. SERIOUSLY, WTF?!?! Anyone can do a web search and find the info in a matter of minutes, if not seconds. When I pointed out that I saw only two American names in the results for her event, she first wrote that she hadn't been married at the age of 17 in 1960, so her name was different, and then that she didn't make the finals, so I wouldn't find her results....

Is it attention, adoration, admiration, or something else these people want?
Quote Reply
Re: There is cheating, and then there is ULTRA cheating [140triguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I stopped playing handicapped golf because of all the cheats out there. What always surprised me the most were the "vanity" handicaps, they would get crushed in tournaments and just say they had a bad couple of rounds. But 90% of the time they could walk around and say they were a 4 handicap! There is a thirst for over representing accomplishments out there.

Don't get me started about sandbaggers! There are cheaters on both ends of the spectrum!

Goes to show, can't escape this stuff in any amateur sport.
Quote Reply
Re: There is cheating, and then there is ULTRA cheating [Jayjuno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just read the February 2020 edition of WIRED Magazine. Great article in there on Marathoninvestigation.com.

It makes me so sad that: 1) people would cheat and accept a medal and 2) that anyone would feel the need to cheat in the first place.

I’ll never be an elite or pro athlete but, nonetheless, finishing on my own, in any place, feels great! Cheating and lying about it can’t feel good at all. It must make the cheater feel awful in fact.
Quote Reply
Re: There is cheating, and then there is ULTRA cheating [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas, I see the glass as half full, regarding mental illness in endurance sports. What I mean by that is if a person does have a legit mental illness, what better therapy than to get involved in triathlon, ultra running, ultra swimming..? The vast majority of folks as we know with, or without mental illness, show up at the start line, git er dun (ALL the course), and go for pizza after. Not sure if the person here is suffering for real or just suffering from bastard's disease.

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply