Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

HOA nuttiness
Quote | Reply
Saw this gem: https://jalopnik.com/...or-policy-1821967915

Quote:
A homeowners’ association in Auburn, California has rescinded its imbecilic policy that allegedly forced owners to keep their overhead doors open from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday, The Sacramento Beereports. Thank goodness—perhaps there is hope for this world yet.

00:00
According to Sacramento-based news channel KCRA 3, the Auburn Greens complex HOA in Placer County, California decided in the fall to enact a policy aimed at preventing people from living in garages. That policy, a work of true brilliance, required residents to keep their garage doors open during the day, or else face a $200 fine.
How can an HOA board be so out of touch with reality with its residents and common sense?
Last edited by: loxx0050: Jan 11, 18 10:17
Quote Reply
Re: HOA nuttiness [loxx0050] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The first person to have something stolen from their open garage should be suing the HOA

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Take a photo of your empty garage. Turn it into a wrap. Wrap the closed garage door.

Done and done!

(For those who do not understand, use a garage door vinyl like that below with a picture of an empty garage).

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last year I was running claims in Virginia after a hail storm. There were lots of people that had copper standing seam roofs over bay windows. A contractor I met several times told me that in one subdivision the homeowners were being fined after replacing the damaged copper with new copper. Why? Because the old copper had tarnished and was brown, and the new copper was, well, it was copper colored.

The president of the HOA fined them because their new copper roofs didn't match the rest of the houses in the subdivision. If they wanted to avoid fines, they had to paint their beautiful copper a brown so it would match the rest of the homes.

I understand that there are advantages to HOA's, but I would never buy/build in one.
Quote Reply
Re: HOA nuttiness [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I get you. Only in an HOA can you own a home/unit/condo and not be allowed to live in it. That is some pretty messed up power that the HOA is wielding there but if you piss the board off you're in for a world of hurt.

My brother owns an now investment condo near a downtown area (used to live there part time when in town but took a different job so turned in into an rental property). Somthing about the builder doing shoddy work on the roof and some other things the HOA messed up on maintenance around the building required a bunch of money to fix things. They assessed single one time HOA fees to cover these "shared" members costs to be distributed among the units (equal being they distributed based on square footage of each unit). His unit being a small studio style place still got hit with a 1 time fee of $14k (or was it $17k?) to help pay for the HOA and builder screw. He didn't even own the unit for a year when they slapped him with that additional fee. Pretty asinine to me. Not sure of this detail but they wanted the entire amount within a year or end of the year (no payment plan of any sort offered I believe but the details are little fuzzy to me at the moment).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am not of the opinion the HOA can regulate issues not agreed upon in the covenants (contract) or added via an amendment that meets the requirements of the covenants.

My former HOA used to send me letters saying I couldn't park my truck with trailer on the street in front of my house. It was usually overnight when I had returned from hunting and was too tired to put it up behind a fence. At first, responded that it was a public street, the covenants didn't address it, and they had no jurisdiction. They periodically would send them again. Finally, I resorted to writing "Go Fuck Yourself" in large red print on the notice, signing it and mailing it back to them. After doing that a half dozen times they quit sending me the notices.
Last edited by: Harbinger: Jan 11, 18 12:37
Quote Reply
Re: HOA nuttiness [Harbinger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Didn't stop them from trying though. It seems some of the HOA board members seem to take covenants at times as a suggestion. But results will vary.

Only times I've lived in an HOA was renting and luckily haven't owned so I don't have to deal with that. Maybe when the kids are out of the house and I am ready to downsize I'll move into a townhome. But I'm making sure to find one that only takes care of snow removal along with lawn services only if possible in addition to the normal hazard on the structure. I am not a huge keep up my landscaping person (mow the lawn and weed occasionally but for me that's about it most of the time).
Last edited by: loxx0050: Jan 11, 18 13:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
loxx0050 wrote:
Saw this gem: https://jalopnik.com/...or-policy-1821967915

Quote:

A homeowners’ association in Auburn, California has rescinded its imbecilic policy that allegedly forced owners to keep their overhead doors open from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday, The Sacramento Beereports. Thank goodness—perhaps there is hope for this world yet.

According to Sacramento-based news channel KCRA 3, the Auburn Greens complex HOA in Placer County, California decided in the fall to enact a policy aimed at preventing people from living in garages. That policy, a work of true brilliance, required residents to keep their garage doors open during the day, or else face a $200 fine.

How can an HOA board be so out of touch with reality with its residents and common sense?

1) isn't he from Auburn CA?
2) I'll bet he is on his HOA board.
3) figure it out...
Quote Reply
Re: HOA nuttiness [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
loxx0050 wrote:

1) isn't he from Auburn CA?
2) I'll bet he is on his HOA board.
3) figure it out...

When you say "he" who are you referring to? The author of the article on Jalopink or more a post I guess. That guy isn't from CA but looks like Michigan. More of a rhetorical question, not actually asking anybody to "figure it out". Yes the HOA had reasons and concerns that lead to the decision but actually going through and passing such a mandate wasn't thought through very well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The HOA that implemented this asinine rule is in Auburn Ca, the hometown of a famous slowtwitch troll who very much fits the profile of an HOA board member.
Quote Reply
Re: HOA nuttiness [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh, that's what you meant. Didn't pay attention to infamous troll and his place or region of residence. Now I get it and carry on.
Quote Reply