Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

So I Put a Packet of Splenda in a Bottle of Diet Coke...
Quote | Reply
I'm a sucralose/Splenda person and generally put it in the Gold Peak unsweet iced tea I drink on a near-constant basis. And on my morning cereal (with a banana and skim milk).

Sucralose is probably one of the safest substances, as far as artificial sweeteners go, in human history -- though some of those whackadoo GMO/artificial-sweeteners-are-bad-for-you people seem to think it's akin to using Zyklon B or something. In this, I refer them to the Science Babe website, where the proprietor does a takedown of all the junk science CRAP (including anti-sucralose BS) permeating the atmosphere. And then I tell them go FU*K THEMSELVES! ;-)

Anyway, I became curious today about what a packet of Splenda (sucralose) would do if dumped it into one of those 20-ounce bottles of Diet Coke. Would it make it taste better than the nail polish remover it typically tastes like? I don't drink it, normally, except for times when I'm desperate for a battery acid tonic or something, but curiosity always wins out when it comes to my thought processes. So, time for a Mister Wizard science experiment!

The results? Ummmmm... less-than-fruitful. And the damn bottle almost fizzed out completely at one point right after I added that packet to the Diet Coke. Taste-wise? Well, absolutely no difference I can tell, although I now am dealing with an aftertaste that two bouts of 4-minute-long SoniCare tooth brushing, plus two Listerine mouth washes, hasn't gotten rid of yet.

Eh, my last university organic chemistry class was in 1981, so I have no idea why the Diet Coke reacted the way it did, though I can make a few educated guesses. Now if you'll excuse me... if have to clean up the kitchen countertop before the wife gets home. ;-)

Diet Coke pre-Splenda injection:

Diet Coke post-Splenda injection. Fizzing like crazy.

Diet Coke after fizzing ceased and all ejecta was, well... ejected. ;-)

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: So I Put a Packet of Splenda in a Bottle of Diet Coke... [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You should try this on at altitude next time you fly ;)
In the name of science!
Quote Reply
Re: So I Put a Packet of Splenda in a Bottle of Diet Coke... [LuckyLo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LuckyLo wrote:
You should try this on at altitude next time you fly ;)
In the name of science!

Yeah, no. That would get me put on the airline blacklist, methinks. ;-)

Quote Reply
Re: So I Put a Packet of Splenda in a Bottle of Diet Coke... [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
next time try it with a mentos. it's really cool, but hard to see. you got to shake it up first. i recommend you put your eye right in the top of the bottle, over the little hole, so that you can see the magic way down in there.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: So I Put a Packet of Splenda in a Bottle of Diet Coke... [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
next time try it with a mentos. it's really cool, but hard to see. you got to shake it up first. i recommend you put your eye right in the top of the bottle, over the little hole, so that you can see the magic way down in there.

Sounds good! I'll try that tomorrow! ;-)

Quote Reply
Re: So I Put a Packet of Splenda in a Bottle of Diet Coke... [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:

Here's what happens. You can't ride your bike if you put your eye out. Just trying to do my part to save the bicycle industry as we now know it ;-)

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: So I Put a Packet of Splenda in a Bottle of Diet Coke... [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SallyShortyPnts wrote:
Slowman wrote:

Here's what happens. You can't ride your bike if you put your eye out. Just trying to do my part to save the bicycle industry as we now know it ;-)

you can't ride a bike with one eye?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds to me like you need a big fat government grant, something in the $1+ million range, to study the issue.
Quote Reply
Re: So I Put a Packet of Splenda in a Bottle of Diet Coke... [Go Pound Sand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Go Pound Sand wrote:
Sounds to me like you need a big fat government grant, something in the $1+ million range, to study the issue.

Thanks for the idea! I'll download the forms tonight and write everything up tomorrow. I'm thinking I'll be on be Easy Street by June or so. :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
Go Pound Sand wrote:

Thanks for the idea! I'll download the forms tonight and write everything up tomorrow. I'm thinking I'll be on be Easy Street by June or so. :-)
I have a title for your paper.

"The effect of Mentos and Diet Coke on Climate Change"

Guaranteed to get funding for that!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
my last university organic chemistry class was in 1981, so I have no idea why the Diet Coke reacted the way it did
---

It wouldn't matter since there's nothing organic about sucralose or diet coke.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In my efforts to create a new breakfast drink craze I have in the past...

Mixed tea and coffee

Mixed coke and coffee

Mixed tea and coke

All were horrible failures.
Quote Reply
Re: So I Put a Packet of Splenda in a Bottle of Diet Coke... [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
my last university organic chemistry class was in 1981, so I have no idea why the Diet Coke reacted the way it did
---

It wouldn't matter since there's nothing organic about sucralose or diet coke.

Hahahahaha! True dat! :-)

Quote Reply
Re: So I Put a Packet of Splenda in a Bottle of Diet Coke... [Andrew69] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrew69 wrote:
big kahuna wrote:
Go Pound Sand wrote:

I have a title for your paper.

"The effect of Mentos and Diet Coke on Climate Change"

Guaranteed to get funding for that!

Ooooh, that's a $2 million grant right there! Thanks, brohomino! I'll send you your cut as soon as I get the funds. It'll be coming from a Costa Rican address, though, so keep an eye out (no extradition from Costa Rica, I hear ;-).

Quote Reply
Re: So I Put a Packet of Splenda in a Bottle of Diet Coke... [knewbike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
knewbike wrote:
In my efforts to create a new breakfast drink craze I have in the past...

Mixed tea and coffee

Mixed coke and coffee

Mixed tea and coke

All were horrible failures.

Yes, but you added to our body of knowledge and, in the end, that's what really counts. ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
SallyShortyPnts wrote:
Slowman wrote:

you can't ride a bike with one eye?

News to me.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
IEh, my last university organic chemistry class was in 1981, so I have no idea why the Diet Coke reacted the way it did, though I can make a few educated guesses.

I really tried to control myself and not correct this but the chemistry nerd in me is too powerful.
The reaction is primarily explainable via physical (surface) chemistry and has little to do with organic.

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply