Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What should the family see near Munich?
Quote | Reply
I ran around Munich when I was stationed in the area, but all my buddies and i were interested in was beer and loose women. Now I'm heading back and taking the family. The kids are early teens. I'm pretty sure Mrs RG will put the kibosh on a nostalgic week of my antics from 25yrs ago. So what are some interesting things to see/do near Munich for teenage boys?

Already on the list is the BMW museum because we're fans. Dachau, and Newschwanstein (Mad King Ludwig's castle, borrowed by Disney).

Suggestions? Austrian suggestions welcome too. I'm much more interested in having the boys "do" things rather than "see" things. They are the video game generation. Not much attention span, and too shallow young to appreciate much things that are really pretty or historically significant.

Oh, and I feel kinda obligated to say something controversial. Hmm. I'm not an LR veteran so I've keeping out of the recent drama. But I will miss Duffy, Windywave, and the short cranks experiment guy.

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Quote Reply
Re: What should the family see near Munich? [RangerGress] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It has beeen many years for me as well but remember the English Gardens as a nice place to get some fresh air.

Quote | Reply
Austrian suggestions welcome too.

Since you started the Sound of Music thread, you could do the Sound of Music Tour.

I miss YaHey
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zeppelin ride - expensive though http://www.zeppelinflug.de/en/muenchen.html

Deutsches museum http://www.deutsches-museum.de/en

Hofbrau house

Dachau

Neuschwanstein Castle
Last edited by: ChiTownJack: Jan 10, 18 19:23
Quote Reply
Re: What should the family see near Munich? [ChiTownJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My friend’s dad started one of the first kayaking schools south of Munich on the Austrian border. There is also whitewater rafting. I’m pretty sure this is their website since it link’s to my friend’s consulting business. http://kajakschule-oberland.de I would think whitewater kayaking or rafting would be fun for kids.

The rivers are gorgeous. We stayed in the pretty town of Bad Tolz last time I visited. I have kayaked the Isar and it is fun and really pretty.
Quote Reply
Re: What should the family see near Munich? [ChiTownJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChiTownJack wrote:
Zeppelin ride - expensive though http://www.zeppelinflug.de/en/muenchen.html

Deutsches museum http://www.deutsches-museum.de/en

Hofbrau house

Dachau

Neuschwanstein Castle
Zeppelin riding is a great idea. I did it in Switzerland and enjoyed every moment of it.

Quote | Reply
When are you going and where are you staying?
Quote Reply
Re: What should the family see near Munich? [travelmama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you go on the Zepplin ride, please post a review- I’ve always wanted to go on a Airship ride and the one company on the US that did it went out of business.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Me in March.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We were just there in July of 17. Great trip.

Museum was nice. Hofbrauhaus too. Olympic grounds are also said to be neat, but I didn't make it that far.

If in Austria - whereabouts? We were in Salzburg, Vienna, Graz and ultimately Klagenfurt for the Ironman.

They were all great. In Salzburg, we had a Salzburg card (available in lobby of hotel, and other places). This gave us city transit and access for the day to all the different places. We easily got 2x its face value out of it. I think my favourite thing in Salzburg was the Wasserspiele grounds. We stumbled upon it and I think a lot of people tend to miss it. Otherwise, the downtown area, Sound of Music sights, and fortress are all fun, but the water park was my #1.

In Vienna, we did some art touring, went to the Habsburg's palace and grounds, checked out the Prater Amusement Park, went up the Donauturm (English: Danube Tower), etc. If you're a movie fan, there is a "Third Man" tour of the sewers. Sounds gross, but is actually a very cool architectural wonder if you've ever seen the movie. Of course, you'll want to walk around downtown in old Vienna, see the cathedral and all that.

Graz was more of the same. It's cool city with a mini-"mountain" downtown upon which an old fort was built.

Klagenfurt was a nice spot, not really touristy, but the lake was beautiful for swimming and overall it was a pleasant environment.

M.
Quote Reply
Re: What should the family see near Munich? [slink] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Sound of Music tour was a great idea. It would be cool to check out the castle where some of the scenes were filmed.

slink wrote:
When are you going and where are you staying?
The week in the Munich area will be end of June. Mrs RG is responsible for figuring out the follow-on week in Italy.

I read a bunch of stuff re. teenage tourists in Munich/Bavaria last night and I think I realized that we need to expand the radius a bit. Car rentals look to be available pretty inexpensively so that should make it easy to go check stuff out all over S. Germany. So I need to scheme up a bunch of day trips, each to something the kids will have fun at.

The last place I lived in Germany is prob 90min outside of Munich. I'd love to revisit that area. Cycling my ass off day after day thru the villages, farmland and forests, swimming in the local lakes.....it was all so damned fun. The kids tho, would have no tolerance for me spending a day going down memory lane. Because the Army moved me several times, I ended up in 3 very different parts of Germany. Geeze how I'd love to spend a month there with my bicycle.

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Quote Reply