Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Squirrels in attic- traps set
Quote | Reply
Pay a professional in my best guess $400 - $500 or buy the trap pictured for $40. We already use a pest control so I really don't want to pay another service. Especially since it's $260 just to get them to come out the first time.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Last edited by: Leddy: Jan 11, 18 9:30
Quote Reply
Re: Chipmunk(s) in attic [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ratzapper google it, only issue is you have to dump in the trash after every kill.
Quote Reply
Re: Chipmunk(s) in attic [moliver] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you used it ? Work well ?

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, works good. Get the right bait in there, like peanut butter...they go in get zapped and you dump in trash. Are you in the USA, I could be convinced to sell or loan it to you, its winter in the Chicago area.
Quote Reply
Re: Chipmunk(s) in attic [moliver] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
moliver wrote:
Yes, works good. Get the right bait in there, like peanut butter...they go in get zapped and you dump in trash. Are you in the USA, I could be convinced to sell or loan it to you, its winter in the Chicago area.

Appreciate the offer! This will be a recurring problem I think so going to buy something. Like the idea it works on mice also then I could get rid of the other service. Do you have the regular or ultra ? There's a 3 pack of the regular one which is why I was curious how well you though it works.

When do you use yours ? Winter is when we get the mice and now chipmunks coming in the house.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used it outside to get the ground squirrels and chipmunks, that were digging holes all over the garden, under the deck close to the house foundation.

I have a big one, it takes 4 or 6 don't remember D size batteries...its one of the original zappers.

The chipmunk is a perfect fit, small mice might be a little too small, never caught one.

Only other thing you could try, that I didn't, is a good old fashioned rat trap.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's the issue? You don't like the singing?

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Chipmunk(s) in attic [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How could anyone kill Alvin?

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I forget what brand I have but I find that the single door ones work better

I own the one you have above. They have stolen the food more often from it.

Most effective is a $2 rat trap. Screw it down to a bigger board so they don't run away with it and die.
Last edited by: knewbike: Jan 10, 18 10:06
Quote Reply
Re: Chipmunk(s) in attic [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:

Singing would be one thing. The scratching around in the walls I heard last night is a deal breaker. Not to mention when I went up in the attic the little MFer looked right at me like I was in his house.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cheaper route.. Chipper dipper.. 5 gallon pail, a small 2x4, water and some sunflower seeds.. https://hubpages.com/...ild-a-chipper-dipper

Had a problem with them burrowing under my pool. I got 10 of them suckers in a few hours.
Quote Reply
Re: Chipmunk(s) in attic [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
len wrote:
How could anyone kill Alvin?

Alvin is a trouble maker and has it coming. Plus his extended family seem to live in our neighborhood. They are everywhere. Until the neighbors cat started hanging out in our back yard they would sit by the kitchen door if we were cooking something that smelled good.

Quote Reply
Re: Chipmunk(s) in attic [knewbike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Most effective is a $2 rat trap. Screw it down to a bigger board so they don't run away with it and die.

That's a concern right now. There's mice traps up there already with poison. I don't really want to deal with one of them dying in the wall.

I also need something that is either quick or humane. My son might deal with it but my daughter might not forgive me for taking out chip and dale.

Quote Reply
Re: Chipmunk(s) in attic [orphious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Cheaper route.. Chipper dipper.. 5 gallon pail, a small 2x4, water and some sunflower seeds..

Couldn't get link to work but I think I saw a picture of one of those earlier. Not sure I want that in the attic.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the trap you show and I catch several every year. I also have the larger single door trap and use it for squirrels. I don't even bother to bait it for chipmunks anymore. They are such curious creatures they need to explore everything and will naturally enter the trap just by their nature.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining
Quote Reply
Re: Chipmunk(s) in attic [mop] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you catching them inside or out ? I've only found one person at work who has had any experience with them. They just use peanut butter or raisins maybe. Are they loud once trapped in the cage ? Cause of the kids age I am leaning toward the silent but lethal.

Quote Reply
Re: Chipmunk(s) in attic [knewbike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
knewbike wrote:
I forget what brand I have but I find that the single door ones work better

I own the one you have above. They have stolen the food more often from it.

I haven't found these to work well for chipmunks. I keep getting tree squirrels.
Quote Reply
Re: Chipmunk(s) in attic [Harbinger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
10-15yrs ago we had a bunch of problems with squirrels. They kept chewing their way into inaccessible (to humans) parts of the attic. We had their holes repaired 3x, not easy because it's way way above the ground, before I finally got pissed off.

I love little fuzzy critters as much as the next guy, but I'd reached my limit. They were no longer cute little things, they were "tree rats".

First we explored the "humane trapping" schtick but the outfits that do that wanted huge $$. So it came down to me and a pellet rifle. As a young teen, my little buddies and I were hell on wheels with BB guns and pellet rifles. We put so many rounds down range, shooting anything that moved, that tweety birds gave our little OR logging town a wide berth.

In the first month the squirrel tally was 12:0.

This is a pretty dense pack suburban area so I had to be wary of neighbor peering out of windows. Didn't want folks to call 911 reporting "some madman running around with a machine gun."

My mother came one week and bought some squirrel chow and put it out in the yard. I said "Mom, what the heck, we're having squirrel problems and you open a cafeteria?" Later, prowling with the pellet gun, I realized what Mom had really done is tempt the squirrels to their doom. Mom would have been mortified if she'd have known how many squirrels fell for her bait.

Once every couple of years I'll hear something moving around in the same inaccessible part of the attic so I'll pull out the pellet rifle again.

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Last edited by: RangerGress: Jan 10, 18 12:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In the springtime, we get the scratching in the walls in springtime from birds that make their way into the vents. It's always right above my son's room, which is an exterior wall with the vent they fly into, and the bathroom right next to that. They hate it when I turn on the vent fan, scattering quickly. We finally had it capped by the roof guy last springtime when we needed a minor post-storm shingle repair.

Critters are brazen if you don't stay on top of them. Zap every last one of those little punks, because they're just going to make their way back if you do the humane thing of trapping and releasing elsewhere.

We've been lucky with rodents, but once it warms up a little bit I think I need to check the entry door from the garage to make sure it's sealed as best as possible since, theoretically, they could possibly squeeze their way through if it's not tight...and I suspect it's worn down just enough to make that a possibility.

Leddy wrote:
slowguy wrote:

Singing would be one thing. The scratching around in the walls I heard last night is a deal breaker. Not to mention when I went up in the attic the little MFer looked right at me like I was in his house.
Quote Reply
Re: Chipmunk(s) in attic [RangerGress] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RangerGress wrote:
10-15yrs ago we had a bunch of problems with squirreles. They kept chewing their way into inaccessible (to humans) parts of the attic. We had their holes repaired 3x, not easy because it's way way above the ground, before I finally got pissed off.

I love little fuzzy critters as much as the next guy, but I'd reached my limit. They were no longer cute little things, they were "tree rats".

First we explored trapping them but the outfits that do that wanted huge $$. So it came down to me and a pellet rifle. As a young teen, my little buddies were hell on wheels with BB guns and pellet rifles. We put so many rounds down range, shooting anything that moved, that tweety birds gave our little OR logging town a wide berth.

In the first month the squirrel tally was 12:0.

This is a pretty dense pack suburban area so I always have to be wary of the neighbors windows. Don't want folks to call 911 reporting "some madman running around with a machine gun."

My mother came one week and bought some squirrel chow and put it out in the yard. I said "Mom, what the heck, we're having squirrel problems and you open a cafeteria?" Later, prowling with the pellet gun, I realized what Mom had really done is tempt the squirrels to their doom. Mom would have been mortified if she'd have known how many squirrels fell for her bait.

Once every couple of years I'll hear something moving around in the same inaccessible part of the attic so I'll pull out the pellet rifle again.

When I was around 7 or 8 years old we had a problem with pigeons roosting under the eaves of our house. Chicken wire didn't keep them out, fake snakes and owls didn't scare them (thought that as a harebrained idea anyway). My Dad got fed up and for every day for a couple weeks, just after dusk, my job was to stand on the walk in front of our house and hold the flashlight while my Dad plinked a pigeon or two with a .22. This was in a quite suburban area, where he/we had no right to be firing off guns. The 22nd and last pigeon my Dad winged, and it fluttered across the street, hit the neighbor's front window and left a blood streak on the glass before dropping dead into the garden. I will never forget my Dad's face as he sprinted across the street, retrieved the pigeon and frantically used his handkerchief to scrub off the blood from the window.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you are more then welcome to go hunting in my attic ! Walk up stair, floored and plenty of crap to use as blinds. I'll even provide beer.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SkipJack turned me onto this little beauty, with an entire chapter about how to cook squirrel. Perhaps you should get some of your mom's squirrel chow, go to work with that pellet gun, and then have mom over for a thank you dinner.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Leddy wrote:
Are you catching them inside or out ? I've only found one person at work who has had any experience with them. They just use peanut butter or raisins maybe. Are they loud once trapped in the cage ? Cause of the kids age I am leaning toward the silent but lethal.

Mostly outside but a couple in the garage, the only time I've heard any noise is when I pick up the trap they get a little excited. As a matter of fact, a couple times I forgot about it and didn't get to it in time (poor little bastards).

Black oil sunflower seeds are also good if you want to bait.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Leddy wrote:
Quote:

That's a concern right now. There's mice traps up there already with poison. I don't really want to deal with one of them dying in the wall.

I also need something that is either quick or humane. My son might deal with it but my daughter might not forgive me for taking out chip and dale.

I have 3 massive black walnut trees that give plenty of food. That combined with a 19th century house has had me murder 100's of red squirrels. My wife and daughter have learned to get over it. I tend to leave the ground squirrels alone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Leddy wrote:
Quote:

We get squirrels in our office building. Block one hole they make another. This summer one fell down into an interior wall and couldn't get out. We were actually ok with him dying in there. Except he wouldn't die. You'd think after 3 or 4 days dehydration would do him in. On the 8th day he was still scratching around so we opened the doors, blocked the hallways to make a path and cut a hole in the wall. The studs are metal studs that have holes in them to run wires but also work well for squirrels wanting to travel between studs. He came out when we were at lunch and the secretary shooed him out the door, still appearing to be in fine health.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply

Prev Next