Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? Jan. 8 Edition
Quote | Reply
How are you and how was your first week of 2018?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Jan. 8 Edition [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
goals this week - 5 swims at least one day off from running (1 done as I took yesterday off), structure run week to make me faster!

check, check, did ok

I had an okay week. We had some family drama that was very stressful, and I did not get as much work done as I had hoped to. Workouts were pretty good though, and I was able to donate blood on Tuesday :-) though it took me longer than usual to feel recovered from it

M: off
T: 10.1 mi run w/ 10k @ 8:34 pace + 1225 yd swim
W: 7 mi easy run + 1800 yd swim
T: 7 mi easy run + 1475 yd swim
F: 7.5 mi easy run + 775 yd swim
S: 5 mi easy run + 1025 yd swim
S: 13 mi easy run

totals 6300 yd swim, 49.6 mi run

goals this week: swim at least 4 times, run two speed workouts (1 done this morning), no food issues

I fly to San Diego on Thursday for a conference, then Salt Lake on Saturday. :-)

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Last edited by: Dr. Tigerchik: Jan 8, 18 7:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for getting us started Dr. Tigerchik, I am sorry things are stressful at home but I;m glad you're taking time for you.

My goals last week were to finally do some yoga and "run three times (or maybe four which would be bananas for me), bike three times, swim three times, lift twice, and do my daily p/rehab."

I only swam once but I did run four times (wowza! one long, one track, one hills, one easy off the bike), biked three time (including a MTB ride), lifted twice, and did my daily p/rehab all but one day. I really like mountain biking -- this was my third time and it's more fun each time I go. I'm solid going up hills and a big wimp going down. I did notice I was a little sore in unexpected places (neck/low back) -- I guess from getting jostled around? Hoping that feels better today. I have an adventure race at the end of this month with a MTB portion which is why I've been trying to get up to (literal and figurative) speed.

On the triathlon front, I've been having some back and forth with my coach about setting goals for 2018, racing, and other items. I still haven't signed up for any triathlons yet and feel like we're kicking the can. I am hoping to get some clarity this week because it's been a frustrating not to have a timeline or a race to work backwards from.

I'm planning the same schedule as last week run, bike, swim for three, lift twice, yoga once, and daily p/rehab.

I hope everyone has a great week.

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TC, hope things calm down on the family front. SoCal, I'm curious. Do you or your coach decide which races you're going to do? I find it very hard to train in the absence of a race goal. For example, once again I didn't get my bike rides in this week. Plan was to have a run/bike schedule down before I added swims to the mix the middle of this month. So much for that plan....

Still holding steady on the 100/100, although I've been missing the motivation from SLO. Hope she's back soon.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Jan. 8 Edition [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri3, it's usually a conversation -- last season, my goals were to get more race experience and stay healthy for a whole year whereas this season I set some specific performance goals. Great job on the 100/100 :D

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Happy Monday Ladies!

Hope the family drama settles down TC, glad you got some good workouts in. That's usually my saving grace when life gets bumpy.

SoCal, on the mtb are you standing up/getting out of the saddle in rough terrain? If not, that could account for some of the lower back pain. The neck could be tension from having a death grip on the bars. Unlike road/tri riding where you tend to just sit and pedal - mountain biking is about flow and movement. You're constantly shifting your weight front/back, side-to-side, up and down. As one friend used to say "it'a a dance with your bike".

As for me, it was a quiet week of doing nothing. Being sick sucks, but at least I'm finally on the rebound.

Hoping to get back on a bike this week and eventually need to start working running & swimming back into the mix. My coach told me about the Life Time Indoor Tri that's in a couple of weeks. I'm no where being in shape enough to 'race' it, but it sounds like it could be a fun way to kick start my training.

Try not to drown / rock the bike / hobby-jog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have a lovely time in San Diego TC; hopefully it is a good distraction from family stuff. We were there in April and it was wonderful!
SoCal - hope you figure out your schedule soon. And good luck with those performance goals you have set.
N+1 - feel better soon!
Tri3 - I think you are a superstar for all that running you are doing!

My goals were: This week: ease back into workouts. I'm going to say 2 each of s/b/r/strength. Lengths/intensity tbd.

I managed: two easy bike workouts; abandoned a third because my lungs couldn't take it. Swim x 1. Strength x 2. No running because my sinuses were so so painful.

It was a bit of a mixed week otherwise. GREAT: I got the promotion I applied for so now have myself some shiny Lieutenant stripes and a bright red officer helmet. Not so great: Dan was away the whole week so he wasn't here to celebrate with me; I beat out a friend who also applied and he is sad; because Dan was away I haven't slept particularly well in a week (lots of hours spent wide awake in the middle of the night).

This week: swim x 3, bike x 3, run x 2, first XC ski lesson, strength x 2 (one will probably be in a physio session).
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Jan. 8 Edition [N+1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
N+1, I'm definitely not dancing yet. I don't have a death grip but I did stay seated for as much of the ride as I could and that makes sense. I will try to think of my limbs and joints as additional "suspension" to encourage the flow. Thanks for the feedback, I hope you feel fully better soon.

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Jan. 8 Edition [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats on the promotion!! The collateral damage - that's just life sometimes.

Funny that you sleep worse when your SO is away. Mine is away this week and I'm sleeping WAY better. He's sick - the snoring/weird noises were getting old. I'm hoping he comes home healthy.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Jan. 8 Edition [SoCalTricurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SoCalTricurious wrote:
N+1, I'm definitely not dancing yet. I don't have a death grip but I did stay seated for as much of the ride as I could and that makes sense. I will try to think of my limbs and joints as additional "suspension" to encourage the flow. Thanks for the feedback, I hope you feel fully better soon.

That's exactly how you want to think about it.

-> A light, but firm grip on the bars; similar to a golf grip.
-> Elbows slightly bent and arms/shoulders relaxed. (1) To help absorb bumps; and (2), if your arms are locked out/tight and you hit something that makes your front wheel jerk, you could cross up your arms and go down.
-> Get out of the saddle for rough terrain. You don't have to stand all the way up, but get your butt up and let your elbows/knees work and save your back; even if you have a full suspension bike.
-> Look ahead and where you want to go, the faster you go the further ahead you look.
-> Don't focus on an obstacle - you WILL hit it. Look, recognize it's there, and then look past it; just like trail running.
-> Counterbalance is important. If you can't pedal through a corner, your inside pedal is up and weight is shifted towards the outside pedal.
-> If you can't already - learn to ride up/down a curb.
-> There's no zoning out/day dreaming in mountain biking. If you do, you'll be picking yourself up off the ground; again, just like trail running.

Enjoy the dirt. That's my background and first love.

Try not to drown / rock the bike / hobby-jog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
How are you and how was your first week of 2018?

Jan 1-3 good, then it's been majorly downhill!

Jan. 1 - flew to Vegas - first time there in about 20 years. Got about 5 miles of walking in.
Jan. 2 - went to see Sally at her swanky LifeTime Fitness club and SWAM OUTDOORS!!! Massage later, then that night we went to the hockey game. My team lost, but a fun time.
Jan. 3 - got up and rode the bike in the hotel gym then showered, packed and went to the airport. Flying exacerbated an ear infection I didn't know I had and I thought my ears would explode.
Jan. 4 - work, not feeling great
Jan. 5 - feeling even worse so doc said come in - yes - major ear infection. Antibiotics x 10 days.
Jan. 6 - feeling way worse - lots of sleeping - temp. hit 101.4F overnight
Jan. 7 - starting to feel a little better but still lots of laying around

Good news - I lost 5 pounds!
Bad news - coffee doesn't taste good.

Hitting the bed again early tonight.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi all,

I'm mostly new to the forum, so I'd like to introduce myself: I'm a stay-at-home mom of 3 elementary-aged kids. I've done triathlons on and off for 25 years. I'm 43. I have a lot of experience racing slowly. Our fam recently moved across country, so I'm new to SoCal, as well.

I like the weekly run-down on The Womens. You seem like a nice crowd. Impressive running, workouts, & mtn bike insights this week!

I'm doing the 100/100. I have been doing the minimum 30 minutes daily, but it takes about 2 miles for me to warm up. Do others feel so creaky & painful at the beginning of a run when you run every single day? Is it old age? I'm left with only one mile (b/c I'm that slow) to feel good. That ratio stinks. In the next week I plan to run at least 5 miles per day. Thanks in advance for any running advice.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Jan. 8 Edition [CalamityJane88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Welcome CalamityJane88! Looking forward to your weekly updates.

I don't know about running everyday but when I cycle lots I find the same thing; it usually takes me the first 10 miles to get into the groove.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you, Scheherazade!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Tri3 - I think you are a superstar for all that running you are doing!

Well, that will make MistressK a Super Duper Rock Star. She's ahead of me now with the same number of runs, but with about 60% more mileage.

Last edited by: Tri3: Jan 9, 18 15:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Do others feel so creaky & painful at the beginning of a run when you run every single day? Is it old age?

Yes, and not just at the beginning. For the 100/100 I just stick with what I can get done in 30 minutes (which is less than 3 miles at this point) until I don't feel "creaky." Then I gradually add additional time to each run. If I start feeling creaky when I add time, I drop back the time a bit. That's how I completed the 100/100 for the first time last year.

I would be super cautious about jumping up to 5 mile runs. One way you might approach your 100/100 runs is to take your pre-100/100 weekly mileage and divide it by 7. As a starting point, your 100/100 runs could be either 1/7th of your weekly mileage or 30 minutes if 30 minutes is shorter than 1/7th, and no faster than your slowest pre-100/100 pace.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you, Tri3! I was at 20-25/week before, so I should probably stick with the 3 miles for another few weeks. Hopefully running will feel smoother and less painful, and then I'll increase my time and distance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi CalamityJane, Welcome to the The Womens and welcome to SoCal -- I promise the weather gets better :D

I've been involved in triathlon for about two years but am pretty well plugged into the SoCal scene in and around LA -- please let me know if I can help in anyway. Feel free to DM me.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks, SoCalTricurious! I'll be in touch!!

I was feeling a little gloomy yesterday with all the rain, until I realized it was our first non-perfect weather day since our family moved here 6 months ago. (Hilarious that I would be so wimpy!!) So, I ran in the rain & was happy that I wasn't struggling with snow, ice and sub-zero temps.

Hats off to all of you who are getting out despite slippery roads & cold, cold temps!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As far as racing goes, SoCalTricurious, my theme this year is "sleep in my own bed racing." No reason to travel & sleep in hotels. San Diego has lots of race options, right?

I'm planning to do the San Diego tri series that includes the Spring Sprint, Chula Vista Half & Mission Bay Sprint.

Also, I see the Campy GranFondo 105 on April 7, but that's the Saturday b/4 spring break. My hubby & kids might insist on a trip or something fun for everyone.

I have access to a condo at Big Bear, so the Big Bear triathlon fits my theme. Is that a good race?

I'd like to do an interesting marathon near me, too, perhaps.

Any thoughts on these races? I prioritize safety, an organized event, & non-glam. I don't necessarily need hoopla.
Last edited by: CalamityJane88: Jan 10, 18 12:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on the promotion Scheherazade, and welcome CalamityJane!

Thanks, but I'm far from a rock star Tri3 - I did have that track ultra on Saturday, so that was a little more than 48k to add to the total. Fortunately I didn't beat myself up too badly, so was able to get a run in on Sunday (from a 18c/64f track to -12c/10f was quite an overnight transition!) and a double on Monday. The weather has come up milder this week so it's been a bit easier to get out, though the freezing rain last night was...challenging. 7k of trying not to fall on my arse!

It's supposed to freezing rain again on Friday, transitioning to wet snow...then a hard freeze for Saturday (high of -11c/12f), so everything is going to be an icy nightmare. Might have to bust out my traction devices this weekend, especially since I'm committed to running the Waterloo Half Marathon course preview with friends on Sunday morning. 21.1km of exposed, slippery country roads in howling winds and deep, deep cold...just like last year!

Have a great rest of your week, womens!

Quote | Reply
CalamityJane, I know San Diego has tons of options but I haven't done any of those races -- Maybe SLO or someone else has?

I enjoyed Desert Tri and the race series at Bonelli Park (https://trievents.com) -- both non-hotel for me but I'm not sure where you are.

If you're looking for a longer race there is a "70.4" in Long Beach in March.

Happy training!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know I am in the wrong week, but I just saw this. CJane, I am SoCal as well, and have raced Big Bear Oly and planning to go back this year, so let’s chat. I am also going to be in Chula Vista next week for tri camp, yay.

Both you and SoCal (and SLO) should think about coming to womens camp at Xantusia. Check clm’s posts; she is the fearless leader.
Quote Reply