Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Blisters with Hoka Clifton 4's
Quote | Reply
I expected so much from these shoes, my 1st pair of Hoka's, but I develop blisters mid foot, behind the big toe; never suffered blisters anywhere in 25 years of running. Simply impossible for me running in them,
big disappointment
Quote Reply
Re: Blisters with Hoka Clifton 4's [jollyroger88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you get them in the same size all as your other shoes over the past 25 years?
Quote Reply
Re: Blisters with Hoka Clifton 4's [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sizes change from brand to brand. Sometimes I pick 9.5 (asics, nike, saucony), sometimes 10 (brooks, zoot). Cliftons are 10 and felt ok in the shop
Last edited by: jollyroger88: Jan 10, 18 7:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got a pretty bad blister on my mid-foot from my Clifton 4s as well. The edges on the insole of the shoe are so rigid that they rubbed against the bottom of my foot, right at the arch. It took me probably 60 miles to get it worn down enough to not cause a blister.

I considered trimming that section of the insole down with scissors to make a smoother angle against the bottom of my foot, but just breaking them in did the trick.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The insoles sound like they might be the culprit. Hoka used to include two sets of insoles, and I've kept the more minimal ones and just put them into new shoes I get. You can probably take some insoles from older shoes or buy a minimal pair to help the issue.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Blisters with Hoka Clifton 4's [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will try this for tomorrow's run, thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Same thing happened to me.

Have yet to fully wear them in.

Shoes feel great but that spot is terrible. only happens on my left foot. Will probably try and wear them in anyway.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Suffered the same blisters on both feet with my Cilftons. I applied body glide to my feet which allowed me to get further in them before developing hotspots but basically I just had to consistently run in them until the blisters stopped forming (calluses?). Initially I would only break them in while on a treadmill so that I could jump at the first sign of a hotspot developing. Took a few weeks but now I haven't had an issue since.
Quote Reply
Re: Blisters with Hoka Clifton 4's [joshtri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
same thing here
Quote Reply
Re: Blisters with Hoka Clifton 4's [Blainyboy8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Never had any issues with any of the Cliftons I've had but both years of Claytons tore me insteps to shreds.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jollyroger88 wrote:
I expected so much from these shoes, my 1st pair of Hoka's, but I develop blisters mid foot, behind the big toe; never suffered blisters anywhere in 25 years of running. Simply impossible for me running in them,
big disappointment

x2

These are the worst blisters I have ever had with any pair of shoes ever. I thought it would get better, but i'm 5 or 6 runs back from a stress fx and I have to drain my foot after every run. Disappointed in these shoes
Quote Reply
Re: Blisters with Hoka Clifton 4's [Troy B] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's evidence that this is a Clifton 4s -related issue. Which ones do you own?
Last edited by: jollyroger88: Jan 12, 18 7:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I blistered with C1’s after 100 miles of running in those shoes.

Then I thought maybe I got unlucky and bout C3’s. Those blistered from the start.

Both were in the same spot by my pinky toe. I know another person who had the same issue.

Hoka no more for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jollyroger88 wrote:
There's evidence that this is a Clifton 4s -related issue. Which ones do you own?

2's, 3's and 4's. The 4's are by far my least favorite for several reasons and I'm glad there are still 3's readily available. There's also evidence that the blistering was an issue with the Claytons, both years, but several people still run in them without issues.
Quote Reply
Re: Blisters with Hoka Clifton 4's [Troy B] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hokas run narrow. I got bad blisters on my first pair of Bondi's. Next pair I went with the wide width and have no problems. I'm on my third pair of Bondis now. Best shoes I've ever had for distance running.

"The first virtue in a soldier is endurance of fatigue; courage is only the second virtue."
- Napoleon Bonaparte
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jollyroger88 wrote:
There are reports of this for the 2, 3 and 4. Extensive reports.
I've given up on Hoka making a shoe worthy of my money. Insoles/arches, uppers and toe box design are simply bad designs. Pity, since the outsoles and midsoles are/were so good (before they just started changing the formula).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
no problems here. the only cliftons i didn't like so much were the 2's.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ordered a pair of Clifton 4's as well. I had pretty good luck with some older model Hoka's, but as soon as I tried on the 4's I knew they would cause blisters in the mid-foot. I even ordered the wide version. Sent them back right away.

I heard all the new Hoka models were running narrow in the mid-foot. Switched back to New Balance and couldn't be happier.

https://trigeek1969.blogspot.ca
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're getting blisters then your shoes are probably the wrong size or the shape of the shoe doesn't work with your foot, especially considering you've been running for 25 years.
Quote Reply
Re: Blisters with Hoka Clifton 4's [iruntrails] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The shoes felt ok for a few miles into the run, then the insoles started to bruise my feet; I don't believe the size was wrong, anyway I moved to Brooks Glycerin 15's and never looked back
Quote Reply
Re: Blisters with Hoka Clifton 4's [TriowaCPA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Me too, my new one one Clifton’s have torn the Insteon my right foot to shredseven with a dressing and thicker sock. I’ll persevere with them but I’m sooo disappointed. It’s where the insole rises on the inside of the shoe, flipping agony!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I *loved* my 5-6 pairs of Cliftons, but always fought weird issues with sizing, fit, and blisters. The new Rincons by Hoka seem to have fixed all of this for me. Give them a shot if you can't make the Cliftons work for you.
Quote Reply