Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official BMC Time Machine Owners Thread [mike s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In my opinion, and BMC has never released numbers to prove me wrong, the new TM01 is only faster than the old one if you ride a more relaxed position that benefits from the V cockpit. If you are aggressive and would need the new flat cockpit, the difference in drag is probably negligible, but there are other benefits of the new bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Official BMC Time Machine Owners Thread [bhoage] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bhoage wrote:
I run eTap on a older (2012) TM01. The blip-box mounted on the cover at the base of the stem positioned "backwards" with the wires pointing forward to the various blips. I didn't specifically ask for this but my LBS did a great job of making it quite clean IMO. I have a TriSport ZippVuka or whatever it's called, BTA mount for my bottle and Garmin and it is rock solid and works like a charm. I've loved eTap in this config on this bike and would highly recommend it, at least based on my experience.

Did Aero testing with it in place as well and the whole thing tested quite clean.

I'll try to get a picture up shortly.

Yeah, I have a 2012 also and would love to see that picture because there are so many ways to build the stem for fit; and the cap just behind the stem (held by 3 small screws) is rounded. I'm frustrated shopping for a new bike right now given all the trade-offs (especially ease of packing) and thinking about putting all Sram Red 11 speed components on the old TM01 with eTap, a new base bar and aero bars ... a complete upgrade but only if I can be assured eTap can be installed cleanly.
Quote Reply
Re: Official BMC Time Machine Owners Thread [spntrxi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spntrxi wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:
I think it's $650. And then you are stuck with a worthless "V" cockpit. You only get an either/or option when you buy the frameset and that is priced ridiculously high. It has pissed me off enough to ditch the idea of a new BMC.

that's what is pretty much keeping me away as well... I want the flat as well

Not that it will do any good but I did send them feedback to the "contact us" on their website to let them know they are losing sales over this policy.
Quote Reply
Re: Official BMC Time Machine Owners Thread [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Still a work in progress...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bhoage wrote:
I run eTap on a older (2012) TM01. The blip-box mounted on the cover at the base of the stem positioned "backwards" with the wires pointing forward to the various blips. I didn't specifically ask for this but my LBS did a great job of making it quite clean IMO. I have a TriSport ZippVuka or whatever it's called, BTA mount for my bottle and Garmin and it is rock solid and works like a charm. I've loved eTap in this config on this bike and would highly recommend it, at least based on my experience.

Did Aero testing with it in place as well and the whole thing tested quite clean.

I'll try to get a picture up shortly.

Please don't leave me hanging!
Quote Reply
Re: Official BMC Time Machine Owners Thread [j4son] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It looks much better than the original configuration. Nice job.

Stay home, stay healthy.
Quote Reply
Re: Official BMC Time Machine Owners Thread [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry about that. Here you go and ignore the filthy bike....

that picture is a little higher than head on as you can see, and it's all but completely hidden behind the stem

and...

and finally....

It looks cleaner / less obtrusive in real life than the photos

Hope that helps.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very nice; how is it mounted? Epoxy or somehow screwed into place?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you....very clean - except the bike! :) I'm also curious about the mount.
Quote Reply
Re: Official BMC Time Machine Owners Thread [onceatriathlet3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
onceatriathlet3 wrote:
Does your rear brake have the quick pad technology as the TM01 does?

Quick pad technology?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a 2013 TM02. Does anyone know where I can buy the seat post plug in the US?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Official BMC Time Machine Owners Thread [summers_jm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
summers_jm wrote:
I have a 2013 TM02. Does anyone know where I can buy the seat post plug in the US?

Thanks!

They aren't unique to BMC. I found mine at a specialty hardware store....or at least a rubber grommet similar enough to work.
Quote Reply
Re: Official BMC Time Machine Owners Thread [summers_jm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
summers_jm wrote:

Thanks!

I ended up going with electrical tape.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The real problem with the V-cockpit ( and i have no idea how no one at BMC thought of this) is that it is impossible [/b]to get your fit right.
whenever you change your stack, you are dramatically changing your pad spacing and your reach.

So for example, if you go with the lowest stack available, your arm pads will be touching each other, same with the extension bars, pretty much no way around this.
The system also doesn't have any numbering, marks to match left and right adjustments (they move separately), and the worst part is that if you think you got it right, tightening up the bolts causes some micro adjustments that is impossible to predict, so you undo and redo.

So If you have a flat system, you can easily use/machine a spacer with your exact stack, and use a bracket with your exact reach and spacing, easy. This is - again - Impossible [/b]with the V-cockpit.
one more thing to consider in the v cockpit is that you won't be able to use angled pads, they have to be horizontal.

All that being said, if you put the time and effort to work on getting this cockpit to fit you (forget any old bike fit data and start from scratch on a Guru) then i think its not that bad,
think about it as you can have a taller stack and be more comfortable while achieving the same aerodynamic performance -according to them, which is thier goal at the end.

Overall, I think it is a premature system that was rushed without being fully tested and thought out with actual riders, it works on paper but not on the bike :)
the simple proof is that none [/b]of the pro riders on TM01s are using it, i think again because it is impossible to get your fit right.

You can get the flat for around 400$ + installation fees after all which isn't huge given the other good things about the bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Official BMC Time Machine Owners Thread [Zakalunce] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The problem with the new TM01 is that there just aren't enough good things about it compared to the old one to justify buying the bike, and then another $400+ simply because they make you buy the V cockpit and then pay even more to get the flat one that works. They only give you the choice of cockpits if you order the frameset which simply isn't worth the money. And if I got the TM01 three I would have a set of wheels I don't want, the wrong size crank, and Di2 instead of eTap. In the end, I decided it would be far cheaper just to upgrade my old TM01. I've already bought an upgraded cockpit and am waiting on a quote for the other parts. I'll move from 10 to 11 speed, mech to eTap, and maintain better wheels than BMC offers on any version of the new TM01. If they would have offered a choice in cockpit, they would have got my money. If the frameset were about $4500 instead of $6500 they would have got my money. Instead, they are getting jack squat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Completely agree, If you already have a groupset/wheels and looking for a frame upgrade, the new TM01 is not a good option at all.
The frameset price is also extremely expensive, as if they are trying to force you to pay for the groupset + wheels (which i am sure they make money also with)

All in all, if you are looking for an upgrade from an existing good setup, the new TM01 isn't the bike of choice.
I believe this bike is meant to replace everything you currently have, which - again - seems to be the trend with all the bike/component manufacturers. They want us to always keep buying their new stuff and throw the old - perfectly working - stuff in the bin.
Quote Reply
Re: Official BMC Time Machine Owners Thread [Zakalunce] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zakalunce wrote:
Completely agree, If you already have a groupset/wheels and looking for a frame upgrade, the new TM01 is not a good option at all.
The frameset price is also extremely expensive, as if they are trying to force you to pay for the groupset + wheels (which i am sure they make money also with)

All in all, if you are looking for an upgrade from an existing good setup, the new TM01 isn't the bike of choice.
I believe this bike is meant to replace everything you currently have, which - again - seems to be the trend with all the bike/component manufacturers. They want us to always keep buying their new stuff and throw the old - perfectly working - stuff in the bin.

correct on all.. I fit into this catagory as I have a 2014 TM01.. already with 808/Super9.. DuraAce Di2.. Shimano EVO cockpit..etc etc.. so no way am I buying a complete bike and 2 cockpits.(as I do not want the V-cockpit) I will use the bike in TT setup (no draftbox etc)
Quote Reply
Re: Official BMC Time Machine Owners Thread [lcparlatto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
just use some tape
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone might be able to help me out. I've got a TM01 2016 with ultegra mech and was planning on upgrading to di2. I'm just getting a big confused with exactly what I need to purchase, especially seeing upgrade kits are hard to come by now that the new groupsets are out. Has anyone upgraded their mech group to di2 themselves, if so what exact components do I need? It's likely i'll be purchasing them individually. I have a M-S frame and will likely getting the base bar shifters as well as the aero bar shifters. Also, how long did it take you/a mechanic to install it?

Thanks for any feedback.
Quote Reply
Re: Official BMC Time Machine Owners Thread [stubs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know where I can buy the rear storage box for the 2017 TM02?
Quote Reply
Re: Official BMC Time Machine Owners Thread [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Last edited by: zedzded: Feb 18, 18 22:36
Quote Reply
Re: Official BMC Time Machine Owners Thread [j4son] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j4son wrote:
Still a work in progress...

Hey mate is that a nutrition storage box on your down tube? If not where do you store your nutrition? I'm after a solution!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Has anyone mounted a stages powermeter to the newer TM02 with the shimano direct mount rear brake, If so, did you swap out the brake and what did you use?
Quote Reply
Re: Official BMC Time Machine Owners Thread [stubs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stubs wrote:
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone might be able to help me out. I've got a TM01 2016 with ultegra mech and was planning on upgrading to di2. I'm just getting a big confused with exactly what I need to purchase, especially seeing upgrade kits are hard to come by now that the new groupsets are out. Has anyone upgraded their mech group to di2 themselves, if so what exact components do I need? It's likely i'll be purchasing them individually. I have a M-S frame and will likely getting the base bar shifters as well as the aero bar shifters. Also, how long did it take you/a mechanic to install it?

Thanks for any feedback.

Hey Stubs - not sure if anyone's responded but here's the quick-n-dirty.

- The only parts you'll be able to keep are crankset, chain, and cassette
- I'm sure you know about the external parts, like FD, RD, Bar End, STI shifters

In addition to those, you'll need

- 5-port junction, each for L-STI, R-STI, L-Bar End, R-Bar End, and the 5th port is for a long e-tube cable that runs through the downtube to the BB area
- In the BB area, you'll need a 4-port junction, each for FD, RD, Battery, the last port connects with the cable coming from the 5-port junction

That's pretty much it! There are a lot of modular bells-n-whistles you can add to this setup. You can also do what I did to hide the cables better but just be careful as I hear the latest e-tube firmware update may not work with this setup.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/?post=5799563

#KISPERFORMANCE
Quote Reply
Re: Official BMC Time Machine Owners Thread [limited] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
limited wrote:
Has anyone mounted a stages powermeter to the newer TM02 with the shimano direct mount rear brake, If so, did you swap out the brake and what did you use?

I almost bought a Stages PM then saw it wouldn't fit... not sure if you can find a caliper that would?
Quote Reply

Prev Next