Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Could Oprah do it?
Quote | Reply
Semi-serious question. Could Oprah win an election to be president? Women love her, I would think she would have the minority vote and she seems quite articulate. Aside from a couple of blunders on her tv show, would anyone really have enough dirt on her to make her go away?

Personally, I would be torn on voting for her (although I am from Canuckistan so it doesn't matter anyway). People seem to really love her though.
Quote Reply
Re: Could Oprah do it? [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A TV personality as President??? Don't be stupid. Nobody would be dense enough to vote for someone like that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was about to start the same thread.

Quite a speech she made last night.

http://www.cnn.com/...ranscript/index.html

She certainly looks good next to the current so-called president.

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Re: Could Oprah do it? [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rick_pcfl wrote:
A TV personality as President??? Don't be stupid. Nobody would be dense enough to vote for someone like that.

I'll put you down as undecided.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Over the years I've found her to be a really obnoxious, even odious person. But as a progressive I'd have to vote for her unless the Republican party does some sort of about face in the near future.

I guess it would increase my empathy for all those conservatives who had to vote for Trump against their good sense.

As a caveat, she is probably even more out of touch with reality than Trump is.
Quote Reply
Re: Could Oprah do it? [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
Over the years I've found her to be a really obnoxious, even odious person. But as a progressive I'd have to vote for her unless the Republican party does some sort of about face in the near future.

I guess it would increase my empathy for all those conservatives who had to vote for Trump against their good sense.

I'd give her credit for being more informed than Trump even if he is a stable genius.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:

Probably true, but on the positive side she can't lose. She's known for giving away "free stuff", and that what most voters apparently want.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Id think she would have a greater challenge in the primaries going against E.Warren and other veteran democrats. If she made it to the general election, she would have a very good chance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:

A quick review of her early life, and a comparison to that of Trump, would change your view on that. I'm guessing Oprah pretty well understands the reality of life.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Could Oprah do it? [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
She's known for giving away "free stuff", and that what most voters apparently want.

She's a natural. She gets someone else to donate the goods, then makes it look like she's the one giving people free stuff.
Last edited by: efernand: Jan 8, 18 7:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does Putin like her?

If so, she's in

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am just looking forward to Trump's twitter nickname for her.

With his continuing mental decline I am guessing it will contain the n-word ;)

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Re: Could Oprah do it? [efernand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
efernand wrote:
Quote:
She's known for giving away "free stuff", and that what most voters apparently want.

She's a natural. She gets someone else to donate the goods, then makes it look like she's the one giving people free stuff.

Do you know how much of her own money she has donated to various charities? An order of magnitude estimate will do fine, thanks.

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Could Oprah do it? [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rick_pcfl wrote:

Not a 3rd time anyway...

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Re: Could Oprah do it? [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Do you know how much of her own money she has donated to various charities? An order of magnitude estimate will do fine, thanks.

Less than President Trump?

But, to the point I was making, do you believe that Oprah paid for the cars SHE gave away?

https://www.motor1.com/...giveaway-didnt-know/

The idea for the car giveaway came from Oprah’s friend Gayle King, who sat next to someone from Pontiac on a flight and struck up a conversation. The show had originally asked Pontiac for 25 cars to giveaway, but kept asking the automaker for more until the total number reached 276. The value of the cars to Pontiac was about $7.7 million.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Please no.

President is a skill position. Turns out knowledge and experience are actually a thing. Who could have possibly known?

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As far as celebrities go, I don't know that you could find a person who seems to be more genuinely caring, hard working, polished in their delivery, poised, inclusive, and diplomatic than Oprah. She's worked her ass off to get to where she is, seems to know how to spot and take advantage of an opportunity and does well to bridge sides. That said, I'm not sure that her skills translate to the position of POTUS and she'd have progressive stigmas to overcome in the type of anti-entitlement spending culture that got Trump elected. She'd be hit hard with claims of being unqualified, with the right claiming that Trump's business experience made him qualified but Oprah "only" has celebrity status so "obviously" she's not qualified. The reality is that she's a far more diplomatic and stable individual than the current POTUS and would do a better job. But doing a better job than the current POTUS is really a low bar and my opinion is that we need someone with the organizational skills and capacity to understand the magnitude of the problem's we're facing and get things done, someone with some stronger understandings of governmental inner workings. Of course, Oprah would be surrounded by incredibly qualified people who she could entrust to doing the job without her misguided opinions and lack of IQ being an issue -- rather than making excuses and apologizing for her behavior, as is the case with current POTUS -- so perhaps it wouldn't be a bad thing. I don't love it, but I also feel fairly confident that a rotting road kill opossum would make for a superior President than DJT.

M~ wrote:
Semi-serious question. Could Oprah win an election to be president? Women love her, I would think she would have the minority vote and she seems quite articulate. Aside from a couple of blunders on her tv show, would anyone really have enough dirt on her to make her go away?

Personally, I would be torn on voting for her (although I am from Canuckistan so it doesn't matter anyway). People seem to really love her though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
efernand wrote:
Quote:

That's pretty much what Trump does too (as a businessman). They're both natural deal-makers. And comparable net worth!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
efernand wrote:
Quote:

But, to the point I was making, do you believe that Oprah paid for the cars SHE gave away?

The idea for the car giveaway came from Oprah’s friend Gayle King, who sat next to someone from Pontiac on a flight and struck up a conversation. The show had originally asked Pontiac for 25 cars to giveaway, but kept asking the automaker for more until the total number reached 276. The value of the cars to Pontiac was about $7.7 million.

I have no idea, nor do I care, whether she used her personal funds or facilitated this giveaway.

What I care about is that her *personal* charitable giving is at least two, if not three, orders of magnitude greater than Trump, and as far as I know she has never been accused of using her charitable foundation for personal gain.

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
and as far as I know she has never been accused of using her charitable foundation for personal gain

Then clearly she is not fit for office and doesn't know the first thing about being a politician !

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I have no idea, nor do I care, whether she used her personal funds or facilitated this giveaway.
What I care about is that her *personal* charitable giving is at least two, if not three, orders of magnitude greater than Trump, and as far as I know she has never been accused of using her charitable foundation for personal gain.

So, you just want to argue about an unrelated topic.

She's a natural politician because she is good at spending (giving away) other people's money.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Who knows what the hard dollar amount of charitable contributions is in comparison to Trump. It's indisputable that her nearly $3billion estimated net worth was earned by way of her hard work and pulling herself up, making something out of nothing. With her work ethic and self-fulfilled success, she's employed a ton of people and has a stellar track record as a human. Trump's "business intelligence" is a complete sham, made possibly only by the fact that he inherited between $200-250million. He's never been in a position where his failure could sink him, never had to rely on actual skill other than being surrounded by the right yes men. He hasn't actually had to do anything on his own, if he's even actually capable. At his age and with his inheritance, it wouldn't take much of a person to have the cash he does...which, coincidentally, isn't a significant percentage more than Oprah, but their paths are obviously different. As far as his charity, he's been full of highly publicized, empty, unfulfilled promises on that front. Not that Oprah is qualified or should be POTUS, but DJT is an absolute huckster who's completely unqualified for the role and obviously in over his head.

efernand wrote:
Quote:

Quote Reply
Re: Could Oprah do it? [MidwestRoadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As people said, would her skills translate over?

Can you see Oprah standing up to Putin? Iran? NK? Being Commander in Chief ordering slowguy and our military around?
Quote Reply
Re: Could Oprah do it? [AndysStrongAle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AndysStrongAle wrote:
Id think she would have a greater challenge in the primaries going against E.Warren and other veteran democrats. If she made it to the general election, she would have a very good chance.

I'm sorry, but if Opie runs against Elizabeth Warren she is a shoe in. Can the Democratic Party please find some new blood? I have a dream that both parties get it together by 2020 and we see Kasich against... I guess on the Dem side you need to look at Governors, there are several current Dem Governor's who live in the real world and has clue. Just give us someone.

Maybe, just maybe the country can decide between two intelligent people instead of Trump v one of the idiot Left (Opra/Liz Warren/Bernie Sanders)
Quote Reply
Re: Could Oprah do it? [AndysStrongAle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's what I also mentioned in my first reply, just without the specific Putin, etc. instances.

Honestly, any worse than Trump? Let's face it, Russia, Iran, NK are outliers on the global front when it comes to diplomacy. I don't see any of those examples listening to DJT or being swayed by him. Certainly Oprah wouldn't hold less credibility with those, but she would hold a far greater amount of credibility with more mainstream diplomatic partners and be better equipped to work with them than DJT will be, a net benefit.

As far as the military is concerned -- is Trump any more respectable than Oprah when he's rage tweeting about bringing us to the brink of nuclear war? Is that something that should make our troops want to stand in line behind him? He wasn't any more qualified to be Commander in Chief than Oprah would be, although I'd imagine her behavior and ability to take sound advice to be far greater than Trump's.

AndysStrongAle wrote:
As people said, would her skills translate over?

Can you see Oprah standing up to Putin? Iran? NK? Being Commander in Chief ordering slowguy and our military around?
Quote Reply

Prev Next