Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Challenge Roth?
Quote | Reply
Has anybody done Challenge Roth Tri? Is it worth it if you are already within 4 hrs drive that weekend?
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Roth? [SBR.NYC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've done it 7 times so far . . . it will blow your mind! Absolutely you should try to do it. I have done a lot of triathlons over the past 36 years and I'd say it is beyond compare.

See:

https://daviddaggett.wordpress.com/2014/07/09/nothing-like-a-challenge/

https://daviddaggett.wordpress.com/...7/12/epic-challenge/

https://daviddaggett.wordpress.com/2014/07/22/triathlon-magic/

There are links in there to photo albums also. Do it!!

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Last edited by: david: Oct 13, 17 13:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went to support a friend. Nice place. Nice race. Definitely worthwhile if the logistics of getting your bike there don't scare you (it's proper hard to find a bike to rent, I've unsuccessfully tried to find bikes for friends twice).
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Roth? [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
awesome.. i assume time for December registration is Roth's time. is that right? (i.e. their website doesn't do time change based on where you are)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes Roth time . . . that is "last chance" Have others up with you with several computers going at one time. You will literally have just seconds. Best wishes. I just updated links to photos.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Best race on the planet. If I was within 4 hours drive I would consider going just to spectate and making a weekend of it.

Good luck on the rego.
Even if you get in, accommodation anywhere close to Roth is almost impossible to find as well.
I stayed in Nuremberg last time.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Roth? [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I heard there are lots of camping places close or airbnb eBen hostel works. that is an easy piece of the puzzle, registration is my worry with latency from Western hemisphere )
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got a slot! Not sure whether to take it though - logistics etc., and 1st July is slightly too early in July.

I may opt for the payment protection which guarantees a slot in 2019 (July 6) if I cancel at the right time.

Anyone else?

My race site: https://racesandplaces.wixsite.com/racesandplaces
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Roth? [Jigsy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was a few minutes after the hour and missed it! Ugh...

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Everything I've heard suggests it's epic. I've heard people say it's a better overall experience than Kona. It obviously doesn't have the history of Kona but I hear the actual race experience, crowds, support, etc are absolutely fantastic. It's been on my bucket list so and friend and I decided to sack up this year and do it. We are going all-in and hooking up with the IM Talk camp for 10 days prior to the race. That guaranteed us slots and also takes care of all logistics. We just need to show up and enjoy.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Roth? [CPT Chaos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
minutes is definitely too late.. i started to enter info 3 secs past opening (looking at GPS device time ),clicked submit, jumped on the 2nd computer to register my sister after submitting her info, at that time pre-registration was already closed.

So assume it was sold out within first 10-15 seconds
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Roth? [TH3_FRB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh ya can't wait

just watching last 3 minutes of this video gets the blood going
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33Gwkr9QjFU
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Definately worth it...one of the most fun at that distance

- easy to talk with pros at preparty
-party atmosphere with hot air balloons and fireworks and djs
- enthusiastic crowds with cowbells
-protected freshwater swim
- beautiful rolling bike course
- closest thing to tdf climb with screaming fans
- forest trail run protected from wind
-stadium style finish with party atmosphere
- awesome organisation
- good value
- long standing and record breaking history
- the free camping is great

A great triathlon!
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Roth? [lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Couple questions
1) what is total elevation gain on a bike
2) what is penalty loop below? (never done tri's outside of IM branded ones)
http://www.challenge-roth.com/130.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know about those, would have to google

I was expecting pancake flat bike and run because of the records but it's definately not that. The main climb was doable with normal gears which wasn't like Switzerland and Stein in Netherlands. The famous climb flies by cos of the crowds....you don't even have time to think about it

The start was in multiple waves based on estimated times and that made the bike field quite spaced out so penalties are easy to avoid
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
110.63 miles 4,700ft. (+/-)
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Roth? [lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So there is penalty loop for bike violation instead of just time standing in tent as in Ironmans.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The penalty is an extra 1K on the run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I raced Roth this year so can help a bit with these:
  1. My Strava shows ~1,900m climbing over 178.1km. If it's any consolation, it didn't feel like 1,900m of climbing - the road surfaces are amazing
  2. It's actually a double-whammy. If you're pinged for drafting it's a 5 minute penalty plus a 1km penalty loop on the run. Even worse, the penalty loop is clearly not part of the run course, so if you head off that way everyone knows you cheated

Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Roth? [CPT Chaos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Roth is fantastic, but if you didn't get in consider IM Austria. Same day as Roth this year (which sucks for exhibitor types like me) a notch smaller, every bit as cool.

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Roth? [aka_finto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had 179km and 1450m on my Garmin last year, bike course was the same this year I guess.

And btw...the race kicks major ass. Great atmosphere.

-shoki
Last edited by: shoki: Dec 7, 17 12:38
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Roth? [fredly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fredly wrote:
Roth is fantastic, but if you didn't get in consider IM Austria. Same day as Roth this year (which sucks for exhibitor types like me) a notch smaller, every bit as cool.

I did Roth in 2016 (Frodo was a bit faster) and wanted to do Klagenfurt maybe in 2018 but it seems that also sells out fast. So now doing Frankfurt instead, and I'm not even German (also doing Elbaman later on). So for all these races you have to decide fast.

But on topic: Roth 2016 was pretty amazing to do, especially Solar hill. The swim was great too, even for a crappy swimmer like me. Loved that in T2 I had a personal helper to put away my bike, while another applied sunscreen as I was putting on the shoes and a cycling cap. Maybe this happens in other races too, but was a first for me. They changed the run course so can't say much about that, but the finish area in a big arena being handed a medal by Chrissie Wellington wasn't bad either. And the party in the last hour was just crazy. I hope to return in 2019 or 2020 with my brother.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will find out in March if I will be in Germany during Roth. I didn't get slot. What are the chances that a relay spot would be available?
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Roth? [doodlekonagirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You probably can sign up on triathlon-szene forum, it’s a German forum, and ask in the Roth thread. There might be possibilities.

-shoki
Quote Reply