Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Critique my swim videos [dayvic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slacker.

You're obviously WAY faster than just about all of us but it is interesting what you do with that right hand...almost like a mini-scull when you start your stroke. Idk, maybe you're searching for the best purchase on the water. You're also crossing it under your body when you flip...I wonder if a straight pull at that point would help you flip faster.

Anyway, the only way I know to make changes (if you're serious about it) is to slow things down so you can focus on it. Get the kick board out and do some one-arm work so you can watch what you're doing. Swimming with a snorkel would accomplish the same thing. You've obviously put in a lot of yards so tweaking your stroke won't happen overnight.

No matter how good you get there's always something to work on...that's what keeps it interesting.
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my swim videos [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

What are top 3 things that I should fix?
Last edited by: Slowman: Feb 11, 17 17:14
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my swim videos [Anton84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
watch the last 1 minute of this video. this is the drill YOU should do, after watching your video. you swill well. but this would help you swim better.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My $0.02 is as follows:

1. Left arm appears to crossover, which is causing you to serpentine through the water; VERY costly mistake to mistake to make in open water. Try using the lane line on the bottom of the pool as the absolute authority of where your arms should be as a drill. Make sure that the left arm especially, stays to the LEFT of the lane line. You want, above all else, for your muscular effort to take you forward and towards the end of the pool.

2. Your right hand appears to go a little haywire, i.e., winging to the right as compared to the left. The problem is that the left isn't doing the same thing. Fix it; both do the same thing and go the same angle, otherwise, this mis-match will also cause "snaking" through the pool. Efficient swimming involves symmetry of both sides in all strokes.

3. Early vertical forearm drills (high elbows); your elbows need to stay high while your forearm and hands grab the water.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: Guppy Challenge, Week-7 (Critique my swim vids) [Flowerpot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One thing I see and it is illustrated well in the beginning of "front underwater" is you are putting the brakes on with you right hand. See how on the right side on the front view you can see your palm. You are probably overreaching somewhat and letting you elbow drop. Try to pick up you tempo a bit and think of reaching over a barrel at the front of your stroke

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anton84 wrote:
What are top 3 things that I should fix?

Your floating position or posture is pretty good- your legs aren't dragging too much. That's a great starting point.

1. Your back to front (kick to pull) timing is so far of out whack it looks like a jungle stroke of some kind.

First you need some co-ordination on the kick, not huge power or anything but just the ability to control your legs. Kickboard basics, xxx M per swim set.

Then with a snorkel I would start to integrate some small strokes. When you spear you need to be loading up your kick leg, heel at surface. Therefore when you pull, the leg on same side downstrokes, to offset the force of the pull. Takes time.

When you are co-ordinated, or actually can execute the FS stroke, then start to work on other stuff.

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my swim videos [JoelO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So I spent my time in the pool over the last 2 weeks basically working on the feedback, and can feel more soreness in my lats and deltoids so maybe there is some hope that my stroke is evolving.

That being sad, I took advantage of the pool adding some clarifier and did a few more videos.
To my eye (after watching a bunch of how to videos), it looks like my left elbow (w/ the watch) is still dropping.
I could have sworn that I was getting it up, but evidently not. Maybe I'm rotating the shoulder down towards the bottom of the pool too much, so it is impossible to keep the elbow up?

Also, I don't think I am extending too much on the reach, and maybe the head it too deep?

Cheers,
Sam
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my swim videos [SPBaldwin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok, hoping someone can shred my cred. Err, critique my swim vid . 1st attempt.

About me: not quite AOS. Learned the fundamentals on youth swim team, but probably quit by age 13.
Haven't really done much swimming in last 34yrs or so. Was a cyclist instead.
Started tri on a lark last summer. Couldn't swim more than 1 length of pool, freestyle.
Improved a fair bit since then. My goal for 2017 is to be better than MOP in the water.

Currenlty have weak kick --> started w/ no kick. Trying to work on ankle flexibility.
Things I see: head too high in the water. Left elbow height is ok, decent drive fwd with left to get a good catch.
But right elbow is low and no drive at all. Right arm just sorta goes fwd like a pontoon.

Thanks -

Quote Reply
Post deleted by alexkeoni [ In reply to ]
Re: Critique my swim videos [alexkeoni] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Total newbie to "structured" swimming, did plenty of paddling as a kid, but took up some triathlon training towards the end of last summer and did a couple of sprint tris. Very much fit the definition of adult onset swimmer. Really enjoying swimming in one way, but the grind it out attitude I can use for running and biking not paying off so getting frustrating at times now.

I'm just about a 2:00/100m swimmer over about 1,000m, but definitely feel like I need a lot more technique and finesse to progress. First time on video today so interesting seeing how much I'm rolling and haven't started the guppy plans yet, but that's my next step.

First simple self diagnosis at the moment is too much movement when breathing left/right. Would love some feedback about what and where to focus.

Last edited by: philreynolds: Mar 9, 17 10:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
o Feel free to insult me, I won't get offended

I should be able to post the side view shortly

Last edited by: paolo.s: Dec 24, 17 10:29
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my swim videos [paolo.s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks pretty good from the top to me, but of course underwater is where all the magic(or disaster) happens...(-;
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my swim videos [paolo.s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hard to tell, but you might be fishtailing a bit? otherwise, not a lot jumps out at me

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my swim videos [SPBaldwin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your left arm and should seem to drop and pulls wider than the right. Watch the rear view when you are going away from the camera, your legs and butt are low in the water. You need to kick smaller.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my swim videos [realAB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my swim videos [philreynolds] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PR: your rotation only happens in the shoulders, the hips should be in line or even preferably be leading the rotation. The kick looks too big to me. Elbows a bit higher and less pull under the body on the left.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here goes

https://www.dropbox.com/s/911lv5xfxabiwhw/GOPR7921.MP4?dl=0

I think I recognise a lot of stuff said to people above, notably the need to drive with the hips rather than just drag the lower body along, and to work on EVF.

I'm interested in peoples' thoughts on Jodie Swallow's stroke, which I've always liked for its rhythm (and the fact that she is often first out of the water : ) It seems to me like she deviates quite a lot from the Hackett style often referred to above, and doesn't seem to have much of an EVF at all. Ive certainly found a punchier stroke rate works better in OW

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/hiNkAMU8syI" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allow="encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my swim videos [realAB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mate I've got nothing to say except that your fly leg is beautiful to watch - so rhythmical and powerful. would love to swim like that
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any comments welcome: and same video as my other thread:

Thank you:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1gwa9tgemxcdcc7/IMG_0138.mp4?dl=0
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my swim videos [Zippy303] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i have nothing to teach you. no doubt others might. but your technique is beyond the limit of my ability to find fault. a lot of readers on this forum would trade their swim technique for yours.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you Dan.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm wondering if I actually watch that long enough, if my brain might absorb something by osmosis... beautiful, something to aspire to. Thanks for sharing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. Drop your head to neutral--it's likely your elevated head position is exerting a constant sinking pressure all the way down your body line. (You may not notice any sinking because your body's natural response is to kick more, which elevates the legs at great expense. A neutral head is an energy-saving solution. It raises the legs without firing up big muscle groups.) I'm a big advocate of experimenting in a systematic way to determine if an adjustment is helpful, so try this: Swim a few 50 repeats using your normal head position for 6-8 strokes, then gradually allow your head to settle a bit more into the water. (Settle, not dunk.) Swim at least 6-8 strokes at every adjustment so you get a sense for how each change plays out. What do you notice? Are any head positions more comfortable (less strain, less awkward)? Does head position affect your sense of being level/horizontal from front to back? Does it reduce your feeling of drag in the water? Does it affect your sense of workload? Is the urge to kick reduced with a lower head position? Kicking consumes a ton of fuel and provides little propulsive value. You want to be mindful where you spend your energy.
One of the great challenges in coaching is to determine the cause-and-effect relationships among various moving parts. It doesn't take much variance in head position to facilitate a slew of other problems that few would think to trace back to head position. It's generally the first thing I correct in my coaching because it makes others errors simply disappear.
2. Your recovery is elbow-centric and compressed, and is likely creating some shoulder impingement. Think of the exit/recovery as more of a 'swing' than a 'lift.' If you lift your elbow to raise your hand you'll instantly feel how that locks up the shoulder. As your stroke is about to exit the water there should be a slight outward flare, which will open the recovery and allow for easier, smoother and quicker movement. Zipper-type drills, where you drag the thumb close to the body and focus on high elbows, are uniquely awful and useless, as you merely practice putting body parts in places where they don't belong while forcing joints into unnatural movements that cause injury. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that you've done those drills, or had folks advocate you do them. Please don't. Two of the images attached here: One shows Katie Ledecky's left arm as it just exits--not straight back, but slightly angled away from her legs; the other shows how generously wide and open her recovery is, which permits easy flow from back to front at no energy cost. It's not the height of the elbow, it's the open-ness of the recovery.
3. I'm a big advocate of eliminating unnecessary tension where it exists. Tension impedes flow and consumes energy, so we only want to engage when there is a pay off. That's why highly skilled swimmers look like they aren't 'trying.' They try when they need to, and turn muscles off when they don't. You look like you are 'trying,' especially on the right side recovery. What is the LEAST amount of effort and work you can get away with here? It's a recovery move, after all. Your hands also look a little stiff to me. I'd suggest a few trials like the head position experiment, working your way from tight hands to progressively softer ones. Limp obviously won't cut it, but most people are far more tense than is helpful. As soon as your hand tightens, tension will radiate up your arm and into your shoulders and neck. There's almost nothing humans do where the advice would be "make sure you have tight hands." Bonus image of Nathan Adrian's comfortably spread fingers (2012 Olympic champ / 100 free.)
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my swim videos [StrokeDoctor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow and thanks for such a thoughtful post.

1. Head: yes after the other comment my head looked high, I lowered it and felt my hips come up and float a bit more easily. Great tip. For pool swimming that will work great but not sure how in an open water race when you are always siting that will work but any progress here is great.

2. The elbow recovery, ok what I am hearing is my elbows are too high and I should take my hands away from my quads and 'swing' them around versus 'lifting' them up and over. Will give it a try.

3. Lastly limp wrists, will try that as well. I have tried the spread finger thing before but never felt natural.

Thank you again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll chime in with a drill that, in my experience both teaching/coaching, and cleaning up my own stroke when I've spent time away from the water.

The drill is the "catch-up" drill. You simply leave your hand in the catch phase (straight out in front of you) until your other hand comes around and touches it (catches up to it) before you take the next stroke. You have to kick - hard - because you start to sink while your hand is out there waiting for the other one to catch up.

As long as you're not crossing you hand over the center line of your body, it seems to sort out many many evils. I'm not even sure why it's so effective, but it is.

It's a hard drill, it feels terrible, but when you stop and then swim normally, you'll notice almost immediate improvement. My theory is that it's forcing you to align your kicking with your stroke timing - because you simply have no choice. Rather like riding a fixed-gear - it's forcing proper muscle group recruitment timing whether you like it or not.
Quote Reply

Prev Next