Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Suggestions for races that are fully embraced by the community
Quote | Reply
Having thousands of emaciated, spandex-clad weekend warriors gallivanting throughout a community for a weekend is understandably a huge headache for the local residents; however, what races are known for having the local community embrace the event with open arms instead of throwing thumb tacks on the bike course?

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: Suggestions for races that are fully embraced by the community [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Muskoka?

Some of the traditional Ontario races are treated with real disdain (i.e. people walking all over the finish chute at Wasaga beach). But its very much a community to community thing. I think Welland, Kingston and the big events up north (Muskoka/Mt Tremblant) are well received.
Quote Reply
Re: Suggestions for races that are fully embraced by the community [Impulse-Warp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mont Tremblant has to be one - when you fly into Montreal the immigration and customs people will already welcome you and somehow know and are excited about the race. The town itself is perfect for such an event and I don't think many locals are negative impacted by the inconvenience from the race since it's quite remote.
Quote Reply
Re: Suggestions for races that are fully embraced by the community [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Roth?

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SOS. More volunteers than racers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Musselman. The community really comes out for the race. Lots of people with hoses out on their front lawns spraying people down as they run by.

Zell am See. Most amazing crowd I have ever experienced.

Quote | Reply
Ironman Sweden. From an American point of view, Kalmar seemed to have a small inferiority complex vis-a-vis Stockholm, especially since long ago Kalmar Castle was where the King of Sweden originally resided. I did the race in 2013 and the town seemed just so proud to host it...banners all over the commercial district and everyone out supporting and watching the race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The races I did at Penticton were amazing on how the community got involved. Never seen anything over the years close to this.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IM Copenhagen. A few pockets at various points on the bike and thousands all over the run course. Great swim too for spectators, they can follow you around the lagoon.
Quote Reply
Re: Suggestions for races that are fully embraced by the community [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:

Isn't this true of most IM races?

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Suggestions for races that are fully embraced by the community [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:

SOS isn't much of a burden for locals. Most people in New Paltz and area wouldn't even know there's a race going on. One race that ISN'T embraced by locals: Ironman Lake Placid. Which I find hilarious because that town is not doing great, and would be doing considerably worse without the ironman.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: Suggestions for races that are fully embraced by the community [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed Penticton is great. However, NOTHING compares to Roth! The local business and restaurants all have "Welcome Triathlete doormats" . . . and that is only the beginning!

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IM New Zealand, hands down best race out there
Quote Reply
Re: Suggestions for races that are fully embraced by the community [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
david wrote:
Agreed Penticton is great. However, NOTHING compares to Roth! The local business and restaurants all have "Welcome Triathlete doormats" . . . and that is only the beginning!

That is what I have heard from Friends who have raced there.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Suggestions for races that are fully embraced by the community [Jocelynmccauley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Races still on my bucket list:

IM Wales, Lanzerote, Austria, Estonia and New Zealand. I want to do Challenge Roth too, but some folks are reporting that Wales is better than Roth, even if it's much harder.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Vitoria, beautiful town, beautiful scenery and incredible support from the community. People will be cheering you by your name: AĂşpa Cloy!

In general support in the north of Spain is awesome, particularly in the Basque country and Navarra. Similar alternatives would be Pamplona, where you will be running the same course as the bulls in San FermĂ­n, and Zarautz. Although you would be very lucky to get a spot in the latter as the go away in less than five minutes. And is a half equivalent, but with odd distances. I believe it's the oldest race in Spain.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+1 for Roth. Awesome race.
Quote Reply
Re: Suggestions for races that are fully embraced by the community [ecce-homo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ecce-homo wrote:
Vitoria, beautiful town, beautiful scenery and incredible support from the community. People will be cheering you by your name: AĂşpa Cloy!

In general support in the north of Spain is awesome, particularly in the Basque country and Navarra. Similar alternatives would be Pamplona, where you will be running the same course as the bulls in San FermĂ­n, and Zarautz. Although you would be very lucky to get a spot in the latter as the go away in less than five minutes. And is a half equivalent, but with odd distances. I believe it's the oldest race in Spain.

good calls.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For US, Ironman Maryland. Awesome community and awesome race director.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Laguna Phuket, St. Croix, IM Austria
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Huskisson long course festival, east coast Australia.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
West Point, Rev3 Punta Cana, Fly by Night.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
small race, but the SSF / Lake George Triathlon in Maine

I think one way to have the race embraced by the community is to have it raise money for something people care about in the community. Ours is in a small town, and that helps with the community environment because you know the people running it, most of the other athletes, etc.

Also, get local businesses involved. We highlight our bakery, brewery, portable brick oven pizza thing, ice cream stand, and many other businesses by having tables in the post race party area.

Get local groups to staff the aid stations - creates community w/ Girl Scouts, etc

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Last edited by: Dr. Tigerchik: Dec 29, 17 14:07
Quote Reply
Re: Suggestions for races that are fully embraced by the community [Jocelynmccauley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jocelynmccauley wrote:

Completely agree - absolutely worth the trip
Quote Reply
Re: Suggestions for races that are fully embraced by the community [Kellermanns] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kellermanns wrote:
Jocelynmccauley wrote:

Completely agree - absolutely worth the trip
===========================================
i agree, as well. i did it 6 times and it was always a full-town event. the set-up is somewhat like kona with the race right in the center of a small town. the people are wonderful.
peggy
Quote Reply

Prev Next