Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
EFS vs Tailwind vs Infinit?
Quote | Reply
Any one of these better than the others? Seems like all three allow you to get close to 300 cals in a typical bike bottle (~24oz).
Quote Reply
Re: EFS vs Tailwind vs Infinit? [SBRcoffee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I recently started using tailwind. Great taste, goes down easy. There is just enough flavor, without being heavy. Some drinks are not not easy to keep down after many hours of drinking it- Tailwind gets in the nutrients, easy to swallow and refreshing without a hravy taste left in your mouth... For me anyway.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's all personal and depends on what you like and can stand.

I've tried them all and am a big fan of a tailwind.

EFS - puked within minutes of using it (both times I tried it).

Infinite - too inconvenient for me. Would always forget to order, would run out and then stuck with nothing.

Tailwind - light taste, easy on stomach and readily available.
Quote Reply
Re: EFS vs Tailwind vs Infinit? [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How many cals per bottle did you guys make with the tailwind? Was it your only calorie source for races?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In 10 years of racing, I've tried everything. For a few years, I had settled on Infinit but the cost kept rising and I had more then one mix where it just didn't seem or taste right.

Recently switched to Tailwind. Cheaper and works better IMHO.

I just did a 7.5 hr ride yesterday in 95 deg heat plus 80% humidity. Normally, this would have wrecked my stomach but tailwind rocked and no stomach issues.

I've tried it with CarboPro and it works if you want liquid only calories (I'm 6'1" 155 lbs and tried 300 cals per bottle - it was OK on a cool day that I tried it but for a hotter day, it was too many calories). For my IM, I plan to use Tailwind only plus a mix of Uncrustables, energy blocks, and Stinger waffles as I've found I do better with some solids.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm primarily running at the moment (ultras) and use 200 cals per hour of Tailwind plus random aid station solid food when I feel like it (chips, cookies, pbj's, quesadillas, etc).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SBRcoffee wrote:
How many cals per bottle did you guys make with the tailwind? Was it your only calorie source for races?

2 scoops per 24oz bottle. Additionally a Gu or waffles every 45 minutes. Additional salt tablet occasionally... I sweat alot
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love Infinit. Tailwind tasted like nothing and I still felt energy lows while using it. I like that Infinit is customized to your caloric needs and also how much you sweat. Infinit tastes great and I have used only that during races and have had enough energy start to finish. Zero stomach issues too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Definitely recommend TailWind! It's all relative to what works for you. I use Tailwind, 300 cal per bottle Hr on bike and 200 cal per 24 on run HR. No stomach issues, simple ingredients and they also have Caffinated flavors for a little pick me up.

I'd recommend using each in training and see what works best for you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SBRcoffee wrote:

this is something I'm currently sorting out leading up to my first IM. Mostly liquid seems to work best for me. I'm just not sure how much I need for IM distance. Seems 300-400 calories per bottle seems pretty common.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I switched to Tailwind as I started doing ultras and it's so much cheaper than Infinit. I like the taste and it's been just great on the stomach for me. Plus you can get it from a lot of different retailers which helps as well...
Quote Reply
Re: EFS vs Tailwind vs Infinit? [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
It's all personal and depends on what you like and can stand.

I've tried them all and am a big fan of a tailwind.

EFS - puked within minutes of using it (both times I tried it).

Infinite - too inconvenient for me. Would always forget to order, would run out and then stuck with nothing.

Tailwind - light taste, easy on stomach and readily available.

^^This^^ Great summary of all the reasons why I switched from Infinit to Tailwind. The convenience of just being able to easily buy it at my LRS was huge and the price is right as well. The taste is very light and my stomach seems to agree with it. I have used it for a 50 mile Ultra and for training and will be using it for a 100 mile Ultra in September.

------------------
http://dontletitdefeatyou.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
testing liquid nutrition for upcoming IMLOU.
currently trying EFS (grape flavored), having used it for two 3 hour long rides with 200-300 cals/hr of Carbo-pro, it's worked well so far.
haven't used the other two.
Quote Reply
Re: EFS vs Tailwind vs Infinit? [srschick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
srschick wrote:
testing liquid nutrition for upcoming IMLOU.
currently trying EFS (grape flavored), having used it for two 3 hour long rides with 200-300 cals/hr of Carbo-pro, it's worked well so far.
haven't used the other two.

Have you tried the Gatorade Endurance Formula that is available on course? That could be a much simpler solution.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: EFS vs Tailwind vs Infinit? [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
Have you tried the Gatorade Endurance Formula that is available on course? That could be a much simpler solution.

Actually, I'm trying to get on this eval that ST is offering for Gatorade Endurance.
Quote Reply
Re: EFS vs Tailwind vs Infinit? [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bumping this thread with a question. How do you guys use these mixes during an actual long-course race? Do you carry the powder with you and then mix it in at the water refill stations? I'm eyeing trying out Tailwind but want to make sure it's possible to actually use it on race day.

Thanks for any thoughts!
Quote Reply
Re: EFS vs Tailwind vs Infinit? [SBR10003] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes. Depending on your definition of long course and your speed. For a flatter 70.3 you can mix 2-3 bottles and put them on your bike. For 140.6 I generally mix concentrate bottles and use my bta for water (and keep grabbing water on course) A big gulp from the energy concentrate and a few good pulls of water. Needless to say don’t let race day be the first time you try this. As a side note through an extra bottle in special needs in case you are slower and/or launch a bottle . Good luck
Quote Reply
Re: EFS vs Tailwind vs Infinit? [soldagreen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very interesting - I hadn't thought about that before! Makes a lot of sense. And what do you do for the run on a 140.6?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been using the original EFS drink for years and have tried Tailwind several times. For whatever reason I cannot stomach Tailwind and it leaves me nauseous on even an easy run. I typically don't mix EFS for more than ~100 cal/bottle but find it works like a charm. EFS Pro, which is hard to find here in Canada, has an even milder flavour at ~120 cal/bottle (so far I have only tried Lemon Water flavour).

On course Gatorade Endurance is just as easy to drink which is very handy during a race even though I don't use it otherwise (I understand either the formula is different or it is simply not available here in Canada). Regardless, what I don't like about Gatorade is the excess amount of food colouring used. A single race was enough to permanently stain my Xlab Torpedo bottle lid. Not sure what it would do to your insides with regular use, but I find that gross and entirely unnecessary.

Kiwami NA Racing Team
Quote Reply
Re: EFS vs Tailwind vs Infinit? [shaggyrider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you like the EFS Pro more than the regular?
Worth going through the trouble to ship it from US to Canada? I'm able to buy the regular EFS locally here in NS...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use Spizz, 500 calories per bottle.

Tried Tailwind, if I make each bottle 500 calories it taste like I am drinking salt water.

I tried Infinit and I do not like that I cannot just make my own and I need to plan too far in advance. Also if weather changes so does my Infinit needs.

For am IM race I will use 2 bottles of Spizz totaling 1,000 calories and eat an uncrustable giving me 1,250 calories which is about perfect in my goal to consume to 250 calories per hour.
Last edited by: JamieK: Dec 13, 17 9:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i like the infinit custom blend. you can get more / less of anything you want based on your own needs. flavor, i've had it dialed back because it can be strong. its worked very well for me, and given some GI / colon issues, i prefer to get as many of my calories in liquid form. a lot easier to pee than poop via a colostomy for me.

tailwind - tried twice, tasted fine worked well but lived up to its name... i had a lot of gas.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Michael Folan of Infinit just posted an image with Tailwind mixed at 300 calories. The osmolity measured at 700, indicating that it could very possibly cause gastric issues. Perhaps he can share his wisdom here, as osmolity is pretty huge with high caloric mixes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use the Infinit on the bike only. I can get by with not having to deal with additional "food-food" On the run i use whatever is served on course and bring salt.
Quote Reply
Re: EFS vs Tailwind vs Infinit? [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ggeiger wrote:
Michael Folan of Infinit just posted an image with Tailwind mixed at 300 calories. The osmolity measured at 700, indicating that it could very possibly cause gastric issues. Perhaps he can share his wisdom here, as osmolity is pretty huge with high caloric mixes.

I've used Tailwind and Infinit, I like to concentrate my bottles so I don't have to fumble with anything during the race. For me personally I like Infinit better than TW, it does cost more to do the custom blend but I don't mind since I don't use it except for a couple race simulations and then during the race since I know it works well for me with no issues. I like to keep TW around as a backup and have nothing negative to say about it at all, flavors are all pretty good and if you use their unflavored combined with any of their other flavors you can manually dial the taste back yourself.
Quote Reply

Prev Next