Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Skinsuit testing article
Quote | Reply
Some track testing results from cycling weekly

http://www.cyclingweekly.com/...s-for-cycling-360975

Some less expensive options. More evidence of personal differences and peak areo.
Quote Reply
Re: Skinsuit testing article [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The difference between a skinsuit and trousers/jersey tested 5 W. The difference between the slowest and fastest skinsuit 15W.
Very strange.

I guess it all depends how well the clothes fit for an individual person.
Quote Reply
Re: Skinsuit testing article [longtrousers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tighter is righter. I'm not convinced any specific fabric has a measurable difference. But do believe better fitting kits are key.

Which also follows the logic of the best bike fit is better than any adjustments. At least in a general statement.

Plus I just like saying tighter is righter.
Quote Reply
Re: Skinsuit testing article [Jnags7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jnags7 wrote:
Tighter is righter. I'm not convinced any specific fabric has a measurable difference. But do believe better fitting kits are key.......

Plus I just like saying tighter is righter.

To an extent, yes. Tight fitting is the goal. However, too tight has its negatives.

I saw a Pearl Izumi video where they tested different sizes in the win tunnel. Turned out that a size too small actually stretched the fabric too much and messed with how the fabric texture was supposed to fit on the athlete.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting. I would've thought the Castelli BP suit would have tested a little faster. Can you buy the Bioracer suit in the US?
Quote Reply
Re: Skinsuit testing article [SteveDDS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SteveDDS wrote:
Interesting. I would've thought the Castelli BP suit would have tested a little faster. Can you buy the Bioracer suit in the US?

I'd like to see the data from each of the three riders per suit and get a sense of the body shapes. What was the shape of the rider that tested terribly in the BP? Take that one bad tester out and the article suggests the BP did really well. Take that rider as the only tester and the BP is a waste of $$.
Quote Reply
Re: Skinsuit testing article [ctflower] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, it sounds like that one outlier could have skewed the data a little.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
time to get a velotec and retire my Assos.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ctflower wrote:
SteveDDS wrote:

I'd like to see the data from each of the three riders per suit and get a sense of the body shapes. What was the shape of the rider that tested terribly in the BP? Take that one bad tester out and the article suggests the BP did really well. Take that rider as the only tester and the BP is a waste of $$.

Ya I tested the BP 3.0, tripsuit, and Pearl. Pretty close and BP was pretty worn out
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ctflower wrote:
SteveDDS wrote:

No idea who belongs to which data point but I found pictures of 2 out of 3. Very different shapes

http://www.ttlegends.org/men-cyclists/?mid=276
versus
http://www.ttlegends.org/men-cyclists/?mid=6825

Bigham's fastest 25K is sub 46, so he is as slippery as he looks and must put out a ton of power. I am reasonably fast by US standards, but this guy could be starting his second beer by the time I would arrive at the finish.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hope you mean 25 miles? Otherwise that doesn't seem fast at all.

Terrible Tuesday’s Triathlon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you can buy BioR online and in some select store. There custom clothing line is huge and super legit, I can personally recommend them.
Quote Reply
Re: Skinsuit testing article [doublea334] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just mentioning here that Holloway just destroyed the UCI World Cup track event. Which a successful U.S. male omnium rider is like a unicorn these days.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
ctflower wrote:
SteveDDS wrote:

No idea who belongs to which data point but I found pictures of 2 out of 3. Very different shapes

http://www.ttlegends.org/men-cyclists/?mid=276
versus
http://www.ttlegends.org/men-cyclists/?mid=6825

Bigham's fastest 25K is sub 46, so he is as slippery as he looks and must put out a ton of power. I am reasonably fast by US standards, but this guy could be starting his second beer by the time I would arrive at the finish.

Bigham looks like he puts out all of the watts.

Our team kits are from Castelli, so some of us ordered the customizable 3.3. I'll keep my fingers crossed that its a good match. I've used the 3.0 for a couple seasons and while it's fragile, I feel like it has been a good fit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ctflower wrote:
Bigham looks like he puts out all of the watts.

Yes. Yes he does. He’s a world class rider (lookup team KGF), and he runs an aero testing service

Developing aero, fit and other fun stuff at Red is Faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The other interesting thing in the article is how does the CdA vary with speed (error bar for a supposed precision +/-1%):

Blog | Twitter| Bike CdaCrr app
Last edited by: bugno: Dec 13, 17 2:01
Quote Reply
Re: Skinsuit testing article [bugno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have not read the article, but did the calculations assume that Crr is constant?

If so, any change in actual rolling resistance (e.g., due to changes in steering angle/scrub) would show up as a change in CdA instead.
Quote Reply
Re: Skinsuit testing article [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrew Coggan wrote:
I have not read the article, but did the calculations assume that Crr is constant?

If so, any change in actual rolling resistance (e.g., due to changes in steering angle/scrub) would show up as a change in CdA instead.

Crr also increases with speed right?

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
my sleeved triathlon skinsuit tested faster for me than my BP 3.0. Both were properly fitting newer suits. It's all highly individual.

SteveDDS wrote:

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Skinsuit testing article [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is some evidence that rolling resistance may be slightly speed-dependent, yes.
Quote Reply
Re: Skinsuit testing article [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrew Coggan wrote:
There is some evidence that rolling resistance may be slightly speed-dependent, yes.

Thanks for this.

Andrew Coggan wrote:

The article says:
"We tested this at a velodrome, using a CdA (coefficient of drag * area) measuring system. This is calculated by taking a rider’s power output and speed, and also taking into account air density, lean angle, rolling resistance and the rider’s position on the track."

So, if lean angle and rider's position are taking in account, we may suppose it is to calculate the normal force on the tires and possibly for the scrubbing in bends. If not, you are right. But it will not explain the different trend for one of the skinsuit (Velotec):

Blog | Twitter| Bike CdaCrr app
Quote Reply
Re: Skinsuit testing article [bugno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bugno wrote:
The article says:[/font]
"We tested this at a velodrome, using a CdA (coefficient of drag * area) measuring system. This is calculated by taking a rider’s power output and speed, and also taking into account air density, lean angle, rolling resistance and the rider’s position on the track."

So, if lean angle and rider's position are taking in account, we may suppose it is to calculate the normal force on the tires and possibly for the scrubbing in bends. If not, you are right. But it will not explain the different trend for one of the skinsuit (Velotec):

It's the steering angle/scrub issue that I had in mind. I don't know how one could account for it.

Agreed that the Velotec results are an outlier in this context.
Quote Reply