Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? Dec. 11 Edition
Quote | Reply
How are you and how was your week?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Dec. 11 Edition [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
my goals were 3 rides (rode 1x as I decided to race over the weekend), 5 swims (done w/ 6), and a day off from running (done).

I decided to run a half marathon on Sunday. I didn't run what I feel is a spectacular time, but in retrospect I ran the race that I had set myself up for - I haven't run over 9.6 miles in awhile (except maybe one run over 10 miles), and I've spent most of my time around 8:20 ish pace. So, I ran a 1:51:22 (8:30s). I had fun, managed a 2nd AG, and the real win for me is that I did a good job resting my legs the two days before. I am really proud of that, as it's hard for me!

M: 8.5 mi run + 1625 yd swim
T: 9.5 mi run + 725 yd swim + 6 mi bike
W: 8.6 mi run + 750 yd swim
Th: 7.6 mi run + 400 yd swim
F: 3225 yd swim
S: 4.5 mi easy run
S: half marathon race 1:51:25 + 1825 yd swim

this week - bike 3x while I am still in OK and it is warm; 4 swims.... I fly home Friday. At least 1 day off from running, and start training for spring 10ks. :-)

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Woohoo, well done on the AG placing Dr TC! And safe travels home at the end of the week.

I didn't check in last week because we were in Tucson for our cycling holiday. If I had, I'd have probably said my goals were: make it to the top of Mount Lemmon, don't walk any climbs and don't do any dumb slow motion falls.

Well, I achieved all those goals! It worked out to 6 days of cycling for about 266miles and just over 17000ft of climbing. It was my biggest week ever in terms of distance & elevation. As an indication of how flat my local area is, my 2016 climbing total was about 20500 ft so I came home with a glow of achievement. http://littlecondo.tumblr.com has a bunch of pictures.

This week: I'm doing the guppy challenge and want to build some run base, so swim x 3 and run x 3. I'm taking a few days off the bike because I need to FTP test and I want a little break first.

I hope everyone is doing well!
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Anna s [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi, Women!

What a week. The Thomas Fire in Ventura and Santa Barbara have been pretty impactful in my neck of the woods. So many people I know lost homes in fires this year. It is crazy. The smoke arrived in SLO yesterday. The apocalypse is happening here.

On the exercise front, I did okay.

Swim x0
Bike x4
Run x2

I got a Wahoo Kickr a week ago and have been using it all week. Wow. Screw dumb trainers. I have it on Zwift and I'm getting my ass handed to me.

I'm ready for the 100/100 challenge. I'm taking Tri3 down this year. It is my only goal in life. Even if I have to do 101 runs. Wish me luck...

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Dec. 11 Edition [Anna s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Happy birthday Anna!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Happy Birthday Anna :D
Congratulation on the win and the successful rest, Dr. Tigerchik.
Amazing climbing, Scheherazade -- what an epic trip.

Things down here are okay. Like SLO, the fires have impacted my training -- everything smells like smoke and the poor air quality meant moving inside for nearly everything. I'm feeling very grateful that my training is all that has been impacted as it's been very scary for so many people. I wish I could do more to help.
My goals were: 3 bikes, swims, and runs plus 2 strength sessions, 1 yoga and daily p/rehab.
I only swam twice -- our pool was closed for smoke one day and the air wasn't very good for my ocean swim so I only swam for about 20 minutes and then called it. On the plus side, we did drink our coffee in the ocean which was fun. Alas, I finally put a wetsuit on.
I did my 3 bike workouts on the trainer and did 2 of my runs on the treadmill. I think I've shared this before but I hate/fear the treadmill after a freakish accident. I'm proud of myself for getting my intervals in and not being a wuss. Treadmill running is no joke.
On Sunday, I drove an hour south to do my long run but the air quality was still pretty poor. My long run was awful. Awful. AWFUL. I was really grumpy about it but I've chalked it up to heat/fueling/cumulative load/air quality and have moved on.
My strength sessions were both good and I am really happy with my progress there.
This week I'm traveling for work so things are a little up in the air (especially swims). I hope to get in 3 bikes, 3 runs, 2 swims, take my strength on the road, and do my daily p/rehab. I don't think I'll be able to fit in a yoga class but I'm going to try.
I hope everyone has a great week.

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Dec. 11 Edition [Anna s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anna, glad you're feeling better. Happy belated birthday!

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Dec. 11 Edition [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the photos! I've ridden Mt. Lemmon and in Gates Pass and I hope to do it again someday.

Incredible vertical climbing total for the year! Nice job.

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Dec. 11 Edition [SLOgoing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I'm taking Tri3 down this year. It is my only goal in life. Even if I have to do 101 runs.

Game on, SLO! How do you feel about doubles? I'm resting my running legs now, in anticipation of a big start on Friday. ;-)

Scheherazade, that is an amazing cycling trip.

Happy b-day, Anna.

SoCal, I have friends out that way. It sounds terrifying.

Dr TC, did you just "throw in" this half marathon, ie, not on the year's race plan? Isn't it fun to have the base to be able to do that sort of thing?

I spent the week in computer hell. Since I "retired" and am setting up my own shop as a consultant, I'm having to do all my own IT. First laptop had a bad fan, second laptop wouldn't boot Windows. Got a third laptop as a backup (cause down time is lost billables). Figured out how to work around the fast startup to boot the second laptop from a recovery disc. Arrgh....!

Yesterday I threw the computer towel in and took a kettle ball class. With my hand injuries I focused more on the movements. I can see how this would be really good for strengthening glutes--and coordination.

This week's plan is to rest up so that I can give SLO a good RUN for her money.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Still on a roll and feeling pretty good. I've tried both Zwift and TR and will probably do both.

Mon: Trainer 10 minutes + Zwift ride - 6.1 miles, 26 min.
Tue: Trainer Evan strength workout
Wed: Zwift ride - 8.1 miles, 33 min.
Thur: 0.5 mi treadmill walk (11:24) + 25 min weights at home.
Fri: Swift ride - 12.4 mi, 45 min
Sat: TrainerRoad FTP test - 1 hour (13 miles). Mine was 118 watts which is pretty pathetic if you look at watts/kg, though over time watts should go up and kg down so stronger = faster. Like they say, what gets measured, gets monitored.
Sun: Yoga 1:20

At Tuesday's session with Evan he told me that he was leaving the next day since his sister had had emergency surgery and he needed to go home to help out his mother. Crushed! But of course I understand. He texted me his personal email and planned to stay in touch. On Sunday night I sent him a long email (the usual weekly report), but I also brought up the idea of him training me long distance and he agreed, so happy clm! He knows that I have a lot of experience in having a coach geographically far away from working with Scott Molina for 4 years and also my bike racing coach after that. Plus, my director at work knows how important getting back in shape and training is to me so I'll probably go spend time in Austin and work out of that office occasionally. And who knows - I might like it so much there I talk them into moving me there.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Dec. 11 Edition [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hurray for finding a solution to keep training with Evan.

And nice work on another consistent week!
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Tri3 [ In reply to ]
Re: How was your week? Dec. 11 Edition [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri3 wrote:
Hey SLO,

I'm already 3 places in front of you in the 100/100. See:

Yes. I noticed that. I think the whole thing is rigged.

I'm so ready for this. I'm going to probably need to do double out of the gate because I already know there are 3 days in there where I won't be able to run at all! I'm going to try and get ahead of it this year so I can cruise through the last week. Last year that last week was really rough.

I'm a little worried because I don't have the running base I did last year as I head into this. And I've discovered plantar fasciitis this year. It has been very mild so I'm hoping it stays that way. AND you went and retired and I'm headed into tax season. So.... odds are against me. Which means I'll win! HAHAHHAHA. :-p

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Dec. 11 Edition [SLOgoing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't worry about that retirement thing--I started a new job the very next day. I was just yanking your chain.

And I never go into the 100/100 with a run base. I use it to build my base. I think it will be a fair matchup--and fun to have some competition.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, I had my followup with the orthopedist today and got good news/bad news.

Good news: My menisci are fine! No evidence of tears. My ligaments are fine, also. No surgery needed.

Bad news:
"Patellofemoral joint: Abnormality of lateral patellar facet. There is moderate subarticular marrow edema in inferolateral patella. There is probably a small overlying deep chondral fissure or defect."

So in non-doctor speak I have swelling and a fissure going on in the patellar area causing all this pain and discomfort. The ortho was hopeful that with PT to work on flexibility and strengthening of my IT band, hamstring, glutes, etc. I will help get things working the way they should be, which will lessen the stress in the joint. But since cartilage doesn't grow back, if that doesn't work, we talk chicken cartilage injections (!!!) and maybe stem cells. I also got a flier about taking fat from your abdomen and injecting it into the knee, which, hey, they can take as much fat from there as they want! haha But I'm sure PT will help with correcting core, form and gait, if nothing else.

He also said I can do anything that doesn't hurt as long as my knee doesn't bend much past 90 degrees so I feel better about getting back on the bike (and forcing myself to go to the pool haha) and weight training again. Running is out for a bit longer to let things calm down, though.

Here is an image from my MRI that shows the "deep chondral fissure" the best:

http://mediocremultisport.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Dec. 11 Edition [Midtown Miles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm glad to hear the menisci are fine. It seems like you have a plan A, B, and C so that's good. Please keep us updated. Many hugs.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you Dr. T, Scheherazade, and others who have commented and given me support. I appreciate it. <3

I'm going to post to the larger forum asking if anyone else has had this. Even Google is turning up mostly medical sites for me.

Hope everyone is well!

http://mediocremultisport.blogspot.com
Quote Reply