Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Help me with my Felt B14 Di2 upgrade
Quote | Reply
I´m getting ready to upgrade to a Di2, I think I got everything figured out, but before I place the order I like to run it by those who have experience with it.

The plan is to install a bar end junction in the back of one of the extensions and hide one B junction box in the aerobar (alpha x), and the second B junction in the downtube along with the internal battery.

The components I´m planning to use are:
Rear derailleur: RD-6870
Front derailleur: FD-6870 (I also seen a FD-6870-F, not sure what the difference is)
Tri shifters: SW-R671
Brake shifters: ST-6871
A junction: EW-RS910
Battery: BT-DN110
B junctions (2) SM-JC41
EW-JC130-SM Y splitter
Misc. e-tube wires

Wiring will go something like this:
The brake shifters will go to the front B junction box using the y splitter
One of the tri shifters will go directly to the same B junction
The second tri shifter will go to the A junction (EW-RS910) and from there to the B junction, this will use 3 of the four ports.
The fourth port will go to the second B junction, which will connect to the battery front and rear derailleur

Am I missing anything? Do you see any compatibility issues?
Last edited by: Art M.: Oct 29, 18 5:57
Quote Reply
Re: Help me with my Di2 upgrade [Art M.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're not going to fit the RS910 in the back of a carbon extension unless you do some drilling or grinding. Can't get the cable out beside it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The y-splitter has e-tube male ends and won't directly connnect to the wires that come out of the shifters you've selected. You will need female Junction boxes of some sort to link them. The new ew-jc200 will work, but with your proposed combo it will mean four Junction-b's plus the y-splitter. This will add up.

If the Alpha has space for the 6-port SM-BCT1 Junction-b and the shifter wires reach the stem you would only need the RS910 with one additional e-tube wire from there to 6-port Junction b. From there to frame 4 port Junction b would follow your proposed setup.

Some grinding on the RS910 and sanding inside the ends on carbon extensions passes an e-tube wire fine. You'll want to be sure the modified extension ends are well behind where they clamp. Or you can drill as David mentions, but same warning.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me with my Di2 upgrade [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn't think of that, I guess the y splitter was designed to plug into the junction box and the st-6870 both of which have e-tube connectors. But the 6871 tri brakes come with a cable intended to plug directly into the junction box.

There should be enough room to hide a 5 port A junction inside the bar, so I´m hoping hiding the 6 port junction from the SM-BCT1 won´t be a problem.
Now I am wondering if there is enough room to install the RS910 directly to the aerobar if I drill on the cover.

As for installing the RS910 on the extension I plan on grinding down the junction box and then the inside of the extension to make it fit, then drill a hole behind the clamp to get the wire out. How far back would you consider well behind?
Last edited by: Art M.: Aug 8, 18 5:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Right. I was more excited when the y-splitter was first announced, but the male only connector option limits the value for playing with aerobar options.

It is unfortunate that more companies aren't offering options for holding the RS910. Trek and the new Culprit aero stem are the only two that I've noted.

Zipp must make their carbon aero extensions pretty stout because the installation manual only requires 5mm extension beyond the clamp. So I'd keep sanding or drilling behind that area. http://www.zipp.com/...ions_User_Manual.pdf
Quote Reply
Re: Help me with my Di2 upgrade [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tririg also recommends the 5mm or more, they replied to my message right away. I can live with that, I was expecting it to be half an inch or more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm pretty sure Bonty requires 15mm on SC Gen1 extensions, but they have a noticeably larger I.D.

On the Zipp extensions I grind a small half circle at the back bottom then wrap the e-tube wire out, then back under against the extension with tape and down the back of the extension riser to the basebar. The grooved Alpha risers would work nice for this too.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me with my Di2 upgrade [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thnks for the help, I installed the Di2 today, install went without a hitch. I´m using the alloy extensions from the stock aerobar until tririg ships the gamma one.

Last edited by: Art M.: Dec 10, 17 18:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Art M. wrote:
Thnks for the help, I installed the Di2 today, install went without a hitch. I´m using the alloy extensions from the stock aerobar until tririg ships the gamma one.

Nice work!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can we see a total Bike pic?
Quote Reply
Re: Help me with my Di2 upgrade [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
Can we see a total Bike pic?

Sure thing

Last edited by: Art M.: Oct 31, 18 14:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pictures should be taken with the chain on the carne grande.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me with my Di2 upgrade [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
Pictures should be taken with the chain on the carne grande.

Fixed
Last edited by: Art M.: Oct 31, 18 14:03
Quote Reply
Re: Help me with my Di2 upgrade [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carbon extensions arrived last weekend, as expected I had to do some grinding to fit the EW-RS910 but again no issues. While I was at it I added a saltstick dispenser and a BTA.

Last edited by: Art M.: Jan 10, 18 12:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Grinding needed as well for the saltstick or did PD change the interior of the T3+?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very cool. I am planning a similar upgrade to my IA16. Does the EW-RS910 bar-end plug eliminate the need for the Junction Box A? I was not sure from your final setup how you accounted for all of the ports up front?

Did you use the six-port SM-BCT1, two Bs, one B and a splitter, or go back to a 5-port A?
Last edited by: exxxviii: Jan 10, 18 8:04
Quote Reply
Re: Help me with my Di2 upgrade [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
Very cool. I am planning a similar upgrade to my IA16. Does the EW-RS910 bar-end plug eliminate the need for the Junction Box A? I was not sure from your final setup how you accounted for all of the ports up front?

Did you use the six-port SM-BCT1, two Bs, one B and a splitter, or go back to a 5-port A?

Not sure what Art ended up using for Junction B's but yes, the EW-RS910 is a Junction A. It has button, charging port and LEDs all fit into the face.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me with my Di2 upgrade [lordhong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lordhong wrote:
Grinding needed as well for the saltstick or did PD change the interior of the T3+?
No grinding needed for the saltstick, there is enough room for the dispenser and the wire to run together.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Art M. wrote:
lordhong wrote:

No grinding needed for the saltstick, there is enough room for the dispenser and the wire to run together.

Ahhhh, that means PD changed the design somewhere along the way. There is not enough room inside my T3+, the moulding inside the aerobars precent the dispenser going in more than 1" more or less. Good to know, as I really liked the T3+
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
how/where are the two extension(bar end) shifter buttons connected?

edit: nevermind., I can see now from the earlier picture and your description. very nice.

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Last edited by: Callin': Jan 10, 18 11:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

exxxviii wrote:

SummitAK wrote:

Not sure what Art ended up using for Junction B's but yes, the EW-RS910 is a Junction A. It has button, charging port and LEDs all fit into the face.

I went with two B's, the 6 port SM-BCT1 hidden in the aerobar/stem. and a 4 port inside the frame by the BB for the battery, RD and FD.
The EW-RS910 is in series with the left shifter so only 5 ports of the SM-BCT1 are needed.
Last edited by: Art M.: Jan 10, 18 12:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Art M. wrote:
I went with two B's, the 6 port SM-BCT1 hidden in the aerobar/stem. and a 4 port inside the frame by the BB for the battery, RD and FD.
Perfect, thank you. I will probably do almost the exact same setup as you, but with the R8050 snifters and derailleurs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am in the process of mimicking your setup... I have a few more questions for you, if you do not mind.
  1. What size salt dispenser did you use?
  2. Where did you drill your extensions for the Di2 wires to exit?
  3. Did you route the Di2 wires along the back edge of the spacers or internally inside the spacers.
  4. Is there enough room between the salt tube and extension for the Di2 wires?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
I am in the process of mimicking your setup... I have a few more questions for you, if you do not mind.
  1. What size salt dispenser did you use?
  2. Where did you drill your extensions for the Di2 wires to exit?
  3. Did you route the Di2 wires along the back edge of the spacers or internally inside the spacers.
  4. Is there enough room between the salt tube and extension for the Di2 wires?
Don't mind at all, happy to help.
1. I used the one that holds 6 capsules, I guess we can call it the regular size as opposed to the mini which only holds 3.
2. I drilled the extensions right between the clamps, I will post a picture when I get home.
3. I routed them along the back edge of the spacers. The tririg spacers have a channel made just for that, so the wires tuck inside the back edge, I will post a picture of this as well.
4. Yes, the Di2 wire is running alongside the dispenser, it wasn't even tight.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pics

Quote Reply

Prev Next