Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tri-suit vs. riding naked
Quote | Reply
In my quest to pursue better times, I'm starting with getting in shape. Silly things like losing some weight, having my swim form looked at, and actually spending consistent time on the bike. I bought a Flo60 for the front, and will get the matching rear in a few months (lots of wind where I live, so no deeper). I'm watching the threads here about aero helmets too.
That said, I honestly don't understand trisuits as compared to snug fitting regular cycling kits. I race in a 2-piece set up by Scuddo. It's a fair tight tank (especially when I'm a bit heavy), and shorts with a thinner pad, so I can run in it. A post I just read in the aero helmet thread mentions a tri suit with long sleeves. WHY? Does skin actually have measurable air drag compared to modern fabrics?
I have no problem spending $200 to gain 5-10 min on a 70.3, but I'd like to understand that it's the real deal for the MOP, not just getting the last 0.005% for the top pros.
And, not to hijack my own thread, I've gone tubeless on my Flo wheel. I'm using the Specialized Roubaix. Lots of thorns where I live. How would this compare with the standard GP4000sII and latex tubes?

Cheers,
Michael
Say hi on ZWIFT @M.Derksen
Quote Reply
Re: Tri-suit vs. riding naked [mpderksen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, one of those new aero tri suits will make you significantly more aerodynamic than a tank top. It's not that the fabric is more aerodynamic than skin but the shape of the body around the shoulders is significantly less aero due to how unevenly shaped it is. You will save a significant amount of energy if you are going around 25-30 mph on the flats otherwise and a good amount of time if you are going around 20 mph, otherwise, don't bother too much with it.

As for your tires, do give tubeless a try. I think that the Schwalbe pro one is the best choice.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri-suit vs. riding naked [Charleslo_99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd have to dig up the exact data but a good, tight tri suit will aerodynamically give you at least 5 min. on a 70.3 compared to bare skin. Bare skin with arm hair has a lot of drag so those tri tops that leave your shoulder blades exposed are one of the worst choices and if they aren't super tight fitting the material actually lifts away from your skin on your back causing an increase in frontal area, this makes you slower even as a MOP racer.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri-suit vs. riding naked [John Cobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Surprising, but okay then. My goal is actually to average 20mph on the next race. It’ll be Vineman, so HOT. Kinda concerned about being so covered, especially once I transition to the run.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri-suit vs. riding naked [John Cobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
John Cobb wrote:
......... tri tops that leave your shoulder blades exposed are one of the worst choices and if they aren't super tight fitting the material actually lifts away from your skin on your back causing an increase in frontal area........
How can that increase frontal area?
Quote Reply
Re: Tri-suit vs. riding naked [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
John Cobb wrote:
......... tri tops that leave your shoulder blades exposed are one of the worst choices and if they aren't super tight fitting the material actually lifts away from your skin on your back causing an increase in frontal area........
How can that increase frontal area?

I believe he’s talking about loose fitting clothing and a bit of a parachute effect.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This thread is not at all what the title promises...

:-)
Quote Reply
Re: Tri-suit vs. riding naked [malte] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
malte wrote:

No shit! Here I had several cracks ready regarding getting my crank tangled in....my cranks.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri-suit vs. riding naked [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
No shit! Here I had several cracks ready regarding getting my crank tangled in....my cranks.
Ditto. That's whole reason I went to short crankarms. 175s were just too...ticklish.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here are a few experts on the topic

Oui, mais pas de femme toute de suite (yes, but I am not ready for a woman straight away) -Stephen Roche's reply when asked whether he was okay after collapsing at the finish in the La Plagne stage of the 1987 Tour
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
malte wrote:

As in Sales, subject lines get attention. Sorry for the click-bait.
Since I will not be doing any personal wind tunnel comparisons, and race in the California summer (90F), can I get some recommendations to shop for?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mpderksen wrote:
Surprising, but okay then. My goal is actually to average 20mph on the next race. It’ll be Vineman, so HOT. Kinda concerned about being so covered, especially once I transition to the run.

Most of the really high-end Tri-suits these days will make you cooler than bare skin.

It's kind of crazy the difference when you go to a long sleeve Tri suit versus a tank top.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri-suit vs. riding naked [davejustdave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davejustdave wrote:
mpderksen wrote:

Most of the really high-end Tri-suits these days will make you cooler than bare skin.

It's kind of crazy the difference when you go to a long sleeve Tri suit versus a tank top.
Are these like helmets and saddles where there isn’t a single “best” for everyone? Pretty expensive to guess and be wrong. How do I pick? (Easy to put it on the Christmas list)
Quote Reply