Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

edco freehub
Quote | Reply
Anyone know if the edco Multisys freehub will fit other hubs? Or more specifically, other freehubs that can be used as a replacement? I'd like to exchange the Multisys component supplied on a Tacx Neo with a Shimano-specific/only component.

The edco has a 3 prawl arrangement that appears similar to many other freehubs but I'm not familiar enough with this configuration (long time DT Swiss user) to know about interchanges.

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: edco freehub [Quattroporte] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why?
The supplied freehub will fit a Shimano cassette already.
Quote Reply
Re: edco freehub [lyrrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe he wants to use a Shimano 10 speed only freehub body.
Quote Reply
Re: edco freehub [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Exactly. Or 11 speed.

From my initial post: " I'd like to exchange the Multisys component supplied on a Tacx Neo with a Shimano-specific/only component."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The freehub body that is on your Tacx Neo is already Shimano 10 and 11 speed compatible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I appreciate that and am currently using a Shimano cassette on the edco but I am not nuts about the spline interface and was hoping to replace it with a Shimano-only freehub.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What do you mean when you say "Shimano only freehub"?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A freehub with splines to match Shimano cassettes. Not splines for Campy cassettes or the edco hybrid spline pattern.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess I am not understanding your problem.

What is wrong with their hybrid freehub body?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
I guess I am not understanding your problem.

What is wrong with their hybrid freehub body?

My only guess would be that perhaps they are looking for an alternative that allows swapping between 10 and 11 speed Shimano cassettes with less "concentration". Concentration is the best description I can come up with for removing/installing cassettes on the Edco Multisys freehubs. They do take some extra effort to align splines and the cogs are "tight" when pulling them off. If cassettes had to be swapped often in a studio or to support a couple of different bikes at home, I can see where a non-Multisys freehub would be preferred.

Multisys is a cool idea, but the need for Campy compatibility probably isn't high anymore, especially on a freehub that already supports Shimano 11 speed.

With bankruptcy and financing issues it isn't clear what is going to happen with Edco long term. This might impact Tacx and their Neo trainers at some point.
Quote Reply
Re: edco freehub [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is nothing "wrong" with the edco Multisys per se as it is working for me (and I presume many, many others) with a Shimano cassette.

My personal bias is that there is more spline contact area between a Shimano cassette and a freehub splined specifically for a Shimano cassette. That should equate to less wear. After just 2 weeks I have already noticed some gouging of the splines on the edco despite their "Antibite" strips. And yes, after 25 years of doing this bike thing, the cassette is installed properly.

SummitAK has a secondary part of it: It takes more "concentration" to fit a Shimano cassette to the edco than a non-Multisys freehub. And there may be questions around long term availability of spare edco replacements. And depending on the cassette the spacers required are not the same as other freehubs.

I have not referred specifically to either a 10 or 11 speed cassette as the question relates to the spline contact area rather than the number of gears.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am going to guess that those hybrid freehub bodies were made specifically for that brand of trainers and there isn't anything else that will fit them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know if you belong to the Facebook Neo group, but you'll find there that the Edco hub appears to be one of the weak links in the Neo. Sounds like many have to replace worn or destroyed bearings within a year. I actually purchased a Neo a few weeks back after being on a Computrainer for nearly 20 years. Still on one as a matter of fact, and still going strong. Only issue is going through 4-5 Hometrainer tires a year. I realize the Neo FB page is essentially a forum for people to gain assistance and understanding of the unit, as well as trouble shooting advice, but frankly, the amount of issues that pop up has me reticent to open up my Neo. There are likely many people using them problem free, but all you find in that group discussion is issue after issue. As such, my Neo still sits, after 3 weeks, unopened in it's shipping box. I'll ride my Computrainer until I decide what to do with the Neo.

I wanna go fast!
Quote Reply
Re: edco freehub [ironmanatee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, I belong to the FB Neo owners group and agree that there are issues raised there about the edco freehub. I also note that the only periodic Neo maintenance Tacx specifies is for freehub. This is another reason for my desire to find a compatible replacement.

I posted the same question about freehub interchanges to that group and have seen only raging silence in response.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Post up a picture of the freehub removed from the unit.
Include some measurements and lets see if we can find a replacement.
Quote Reply