Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Roka Sleeved swim skin reports?
Quote | Reply
Apologies if there is topics on this already, I've searched and come up with nothing.

Has anyone tried one of these? I am looking to order one when they become available again but I am yet to read any reports and havent even seen a picture of anyone wearing one..

Very interested in some real life experiences with sleeved tri suits under them.
Quote Reply
Re: Roka Sleeved swim skin reports? [Brett runs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i have one and like it. i've now done 3 races in it and it worked well; which is to say, i didn't notice it.
on the sleeves underneath: i haven't tried that, so can't report.
peggy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
50/50 for me. I have it and have tested it in the pool. It is faster than without. The fit is not very good for me. I have a larger upper body in the chest and shoulders and I get pinching under the arms. If it fit a little better I would be much happier. It fits everywhere else. Over all I think it is fast.
Quote Reply
Re: Roka Sleeved swim skin reports? [Triben32] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Triben32 wrote:
50/50 for me. I have it and have tested it in the pool. It is faster than without. The fit is not very good for me. I have a larger upper body in the chest and shoulders and I get pinching under the arms. If it fit a little better I would be much happier. It fits everywhere else. Over all I think it is fast.

Can you explain your protocol a little more that you did to test

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Roka Sleeved swim skin reports? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not very scientific but did 5 x 100 with suit and 5 x 100 without. I was 3-5 seconds faster with the suit. Only used RPE to grade effort. Not like with a bike and power meter which can be used to make sure effort is the same when comparing speed.

I did a race this weekend out of town and I forgot my swim skin. Which I had it.

For the Roka I like it technically just which it fit "me" better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
very non scientific here: I swam faster in kona this yr with sleeves then i did last yr without sleeves on what felt like much less effort. Did not even notice the sleeves. Full disclose: i am not a swimmer and don't pretend to be.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: Roka Sleeved swim skin reports? [Triben32] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Triben32 wrote:
Not very scientific but did 5 x 100 with suit and 5 x 100 without. I was 3-5 seconds faster with the suit. Only used RPE to grade effort. Not like with a bike and power meter which can be used to make sure effort is the same when comparing speed.

I did a race this weekend out of town and I forgot my swim skin. Which I had it.

For the Roka I like it technically just which it fit "me" better.

What is your hundred time. Can I suggest some thing if you have time. Do a 4x800 at this same RPE. I don't care which one you start with but would like to see A B A B or A BB A. Curious what the results are.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Last edited by: Thomas Gerlach: Nov 13, 17 22:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas what are you trying to point out?

That the suit is no faster than wearing a tri suit with nothing over?
Or
That the suit is no faster than a non sleeved suit with a sleeved tri suit under?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Probably that the testing doesn't alllow you to determine if the suit is better and by how much in a predictable manner.
Quote Reply
Re: Roka Sleeved swim skin reports? [elf6c] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree and stated that it was pretty unscientific. I already own it so will wear it in my next race in February. It's not wetsuit legal. The hydrophobic fabrics are faster. There is a reason that the IOC and FINA banned them from competition. How much for the avg swimmer can be debated.
Quote Reply
Re: Roka Sleeved swim skin reports? [elf6c] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
elf6c wrote:
Probably that the testing doesn't alllow you to determine if the suit is better and by how much in a predictable manner.

better than what though? sorry I was just trying to work out if he was saying its no faster than wearing a tri suit only, or wearing a sleeved tri suit under a swim skin with the arms sticking out.

Anyways Ive placed an order on one today as they are now available again. From those who have them the reports sound positive enough.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I totally agree with Thomas. If anything, I would reverse the order and start withOUT the suit. This way, even with fatigue after the first 5 setting in, you would see possibly a slight improvement even if you're starting to feel tanked. Mixing it up would be a lot of changes because you'd be trying to put on a wet material every other 100, where you may or may not work all the wrinkles out & the material will not be in the exact same place as when you originally put it on. Therefore, all things are not really the same with the back & forth switching. Rest time will vary as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Brett runs wrote:
Thomas what are you trying to point out?

That the suit is no faster than wearing a tri suit with nothing over?
Or
That the suit is no faster than a non sleeved suit with a sleeved tri suit under?

Worse, that it is slower, than wearing a tight fitting tri suit.

Sorry, I didn't see this until it got bumped today. I am interested in more data. I know for myself they are slow. I didn't test the Roka, but I tested a Kiwami and it was just awful. For me a slightly older, trisuit, front zip with two rear pockets and a neck line I could feel water buzzing over, was consistently faster over cruise 800s than a both a swimskin (BS) and the Kiwami Aquarush. I have since tested sleeveless trisuits more afterward and I found an even faster suit than my test suit, that was a Kiwami Amphib rear zip. I have a lot of thoughts on this. I need to do a post, I have been talking about needing to do a post for 9 months... I guess I was hoping to see some sort of testing whitepaper produced from somebody showing what thought actually went into this all

And keep in mind the last time I did testing myself was many many moons ago with the neoprene swimskins which were fast fast fast. I simply never tested swimskins after the ban because I was basing my decision on others.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting.

I wear scody and even the sleeves sticking out feels slower but maybe it's in my head. I've never really tested or considered testing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Brett runs wrote:
Interesting.

I wear scody and even the sleeves sticking out feels slower but maybe it's in my head. I've never really tested or considered testing.

I tested a sleeved trisuit in there as well. It was with the sleeved trisuit that I saw some benefit from wearing a swimskin, but everything was slower than just my trisuit albeit they are tight fitting which I think is also key. But I have a whole theory on sleeved suits in general after going back to the wind tunnel for a second trip. I'll have to explain that theory as well in a post but the skinny is I am still not convinced that in a practical application of sleeved suits they are faster for the masses. If you are Sebastian Kienle and you are wearing essentially a brand new suit all the time maybe it works, or if you are dry and you put it on, but if you are wet and/or it is used and stretched, ripped in minor places that you might not even notice, or maybe the fibers haven't gotten just a little too rough the benefit could go out the window. If you are using the UV that is one thing, but pure speed, well I am not convinced for triathlon.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Checking in to see if anyone has feedback on this. I too am looking at wearing a trisuit under a sleeved swimskin, assuming the sleeved swimskin is faster than the sleeveless swimskin. I will be wearing a trisuit regardless under my swimskin.
Quote Reply
Re: Roka Sleeved swim skin reports? [DesertTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DesertTriGuy wrote:
Checking in to see if anyone has feedback on this. I too am looking at wearing a trisuit under a sleeved swimskin, assuming the sleeved swimskin is faster than the sleeveless swimskin. I will be wearing a trisuit regardless under my swimskin.

It wasn't for me and is why I went sans swimskin all last year. Being less fit than previous years, I was better positioned in every swim last year without it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Always agreed with your theory but always swum with a swim skim as I had bought one and FOMO always stopped me from not wearing it. The first time I couldn't wear a wetsuit in a race was at Kona and me and a girl who both had the same coach pretty much always swum the same times in races we did with wetsuits and our coach being a top swimmer said they were no advantage and advised her not to buy or wear one. At the open water race the week before the race I was wearing my swim skin and she wore her sleeveless tri suit. I think she beat me by around 30 seconds and for the actual race I beat her time by about 30 seconds. This was a couple of years ago before sleeved swim skins and I had my sleeved tri suit rolled down under my swim skin for the race before the rules changed.

Anyways the point I'm trying to make is that over Ironman distance there was no significant gain or proof that a swim skin was faster based on we always swum times with the same sort of difference.

Personally I think the whole hydrophobic material selling point is a load of crap. Someone may correct me but it's my understanding the current swimming rules came in about what dimensions swimmers suits are able to be worn, at the same time swimming suits which had buoyancy and swimmers often wore multiple suits were banned. The advantage was the buoyancy in the suits. As I say feel free to correct me but curious if this was the case and if swim skins are just another con to part a triathlete from their money.
Quote Reply
Re: Roka Sleeved swim skin reports? [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shambolic wrote:
Always agreed with your theory but always swum with a swim skim as I had bought one and FOMO always stopped me from not wearing it. The first time I couldn't wear a wetsuit in a race was at Kona and me and a girl who both had the same coach pretty much always swum the same times in races we did with wetsuits and our coach being a top swimmer said they were no advantage and advised her not to buy or wear one. At the open water race the week before the race I was wearing my swim skin and she wore her sleeveless tri suit. I think she beat me by around 30 seconds and for the actual race I beat her time by about 30 seconds. This was a couple of years ago before sleeved swim skins and I had my sleeved tri suit rolled down under my swim skin for the race before the rules changed.

Anyways the point I'm trying to make is that over Ironman distance there was no significant gain or proof that a swim skin was faster based on we always swum times with the same sort of difference.

Personally I think the whole hydrophobic material selling point is a load of crap. Someone may correct me but it's my understanding the current swimming rules came in about what dimensions swimmers suits are able to be worn, at the same time swimming suits which had buoyancy and swimmers often wore multiple suits were banned. The advantage was the buoyancy in the suits. As I say feel free to correct me but curious if this was the case and if swim skins are just another con to part a triathlete from their money.

I would love to see people do more research and collect more data so they can make more informed decision instead of just believing everything that is marketed at them. I personally have had conversations with Matt Hanson, Cody Beals, Lionel Sanders, and Trevor Wuertele early last year (April). After Ironman Texas 70.3 and before I really got cemented on the idea that swim skins were slow for me in racing. A few more races really cemented it for me. My science won't pass any sort of peer review, but I dedicated 8 day to it and lots of lots of 800s and for the time being I can't see myself wearing a swim skin that is available today.

The old neoprene skins were fast, my Xterra X.002 is the fastest suit I have ever tested personally. There have been some threads in the last year that touched on why my results may show what they do. Someone mentioned the water between the two layers of fabric. My own personal thought is that a second swim skin at the very least is going to add girth to your body, after all it is material and makes you a bit wider without materially changing your shape. I am not sure what that equates to and I am sure someone could calculate it but that is my theory where some drag exists. Swim skins were faster when I tested a sleeved trisuit that is one of those two piece, one piece suits with the flap at the middle to allow easy number #1.

Quote Reply
Re: Roka Sleeved swim skin reports? [DesertTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got one of the sleeved suits to wear over my sleeved tri suit. I don't have the time or inclination to do the testing, but I have swum in both sleeved tri suit only, short sleeve swim skin and sleeved swim skin. It's night and day the drag from the whole suit (for me) compared to putting on the sleeveless swim skin but the arms still felt very heavy and dragging (like wearing drag shorts but on my shoulders) the new sleeved suit seems to be slightly thicker material but takes that shoulder drag away. It isn't as tight as my original sleeveless roka either which was very very tight. Overall I'm not unhappy with my purchase at all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bump for anyone else’s input
Quote Reply
Re: Roka Sleeved swim skin reports? [RBR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wore one at Lavaman in March, with sleeved tri suit rolled down under it. It's TIGHT, so I was worried having 2 sleeves on would be a problem. I can say it felt great, didn't restrict me at all. Was I faster than without? Who knows...I'm not fast to begin with so hard to tell.
Quote Reply
Re: Roka Sleeved swim skin reports? [mattyboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are sleeved swimskins allowed in Ironman races? I was thinking of getting a short-sleeved swimskin to wear over my trisuit for IM Texas. But looking at the FAQ, it seems like they are not allowed. Here is the direct quote:

"Swimwear (Skinsuits/Speedsuits) must be 100% textile material, which is defined as materials consisting of natural and/or synthetic, individual and non-consolidated yarns used to constitute a fabric by weaving, knitting and/or braiding. Simply put, this would generally refer to suits made only from nylon or Lycra that do not have any rubberized material such as polyurethane or neoprene. Swimwear must not cover the neck, extend past the shoulder, nor extend past the knees. Swimwear may contain a zipper. A race kit may be worn underneath swimwear".

Originally from: https://www.ironman.com/...s.aspx#ixzz5yZvWJHsk
Quote Reply