Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Is the USA out of the 2018 Olympics??
Quote | Reply
Asked if it's a "done deal" that US athletes will be able to attend the Olympics, Haley said: "There's an open question.
http://www.cnn.com/2017/12/06/politics/nikki-haley-olympics-north-korea/index.html

Must be "fun" to be an athlete now, especially since world championships medals and good placement in world cup races are not appreciated.
I am not a big fan of the IOC, but I really hope the USA will participate.
Quote Reply
Re: Is the USA out of the 2018 Olympics?? [Halvard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure South Korea is a great location.
Hoping the best for their nation and all the athletes.

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am sure we will participate. We are very good allies of South Korea and I think it would be hard for our government not to allow our athletes to show up to a place that we have had a military presence in since the 50s.

I have been there a few times and have never really been worried about safety. The locations chosen are beautiful and I am sure will make for a great Olympics.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
>>>Haley said: "There's an open question.

Of course. Fear. Uncertainty. Doubt.

True leaders are supposed to project optimism and hope for a better future. Shitty leaders fall back to scare tactics.

Quote Reply
Re: Is the USA out of the 2018 Olympics?? [Karl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Karl wrote:
I don't know what's wrong with it?
Except that they hosted it before in the relatively recent past.
Quote Reply
Re: Is the USA out of the 2018 Olympics?? [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
Karl wrote:
I don't know what's wrong with it?
Except that they hosted it before in the relatively recent past.

I don't think it's the country I think it's the Olympic games that those days really only work for greedy officials, that are the problem.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I find it more than a little odd that the government is concerned about the "safety" of athletes competing next to North Korea after sending them to the summer Olympics in Rio where the risk of serious crime is infinitely higher.

It seems like the athletes would be punished to blame North Korea for something they have never done...it makes no sense and is just political posturing.
Quote Reply
Re: Is the USA out of the 2018 Olympics?? [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep.

South Korea is beside North Korea. Is that the concern?
They've been side by side for years. There has been posturing and threats for years.
North Korea may now have long range nuclear weapons but that doesn't change things dramatically for South Korea. Perhaps it does for Japan and the US.

Is the new concern that US citizens are now especially inviting targets for North Korean attacks because of Trump's recent posturing? I don't think that's really their MO. NK is looking to be taken seriously as a nuclear power and a military force not as terrorists. I can't see how a strike on a sporting event within SK would advance those goals. If they were going to do anything against SK it would surely be a more widespread attack or an invasion but neither of those seems at all likely. They would be suicidal for NK.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CNN left the context of Nikki Haley's answer to the penultimate sentence in the article. She essentially said "I don't know" and then gave typical non-answers. The news articles keyed-in on the phrase "open question," because it is clickbait, instead of leading with "I have not heard anything about that."
Last edited by: exxxviii: Dec 7, 17 3:45
Quote Reply
Re: Is the USA out of the 2018 Olympics?? [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Albeit NK will lob some more over towards Japan during the Olympics, it will be a higher profile time over there. They are almost begging for the world wide attention.
Quote Reply
Re: Is the USA out of the 2018 Olympics?? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Is the USA out of the 2018 Olympics?? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
CNN left the context of Nikki Haley's answer to the penultimate sentence in the article. She essentially said "I don't know" and then gave typical non-answers. The news articles keyed-in on the phrase "open question," because it is clickbait, instead of leading with "I have not heard anything about that."

Exactly. What the CNN article quotes is very different than what she meant. But not really shocking, it’s how the news is reported now.
Quote Reply
Re: Is the USA out of the 2018 Olympics?? [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grant.Reuter wrote:
exxxviii wrote:

Exactly. What the CNN article quotes is very different than what she meant. But not really shocking, it’s how the news is reported now.

How hard is it to answer that question? Seriously. Unless there have been any new developments, why not say: "as of today, yes the USA should participate".

Maybe she did not know what the winter Olympic is and tried a political non-answer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My guess is because she may have not been involved with any conversations on it. Or because it is technically an open question, if Kim does something stupid they may not go. Who knows? I think you’re reading into it a lot too much. Or you’re just incredibly biased based on saying maybe she doesn’t know what the Winter Olympics is.

Compared to the Dufas in-chief, she is very well spoken so I’ll give her the benefit of the doubt that she wasn’t trying to say they aren’t going, just being honest that the situation is fluid with NK so saying yes today may not be yes in Feb.
Quote Reply