Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Trek Isospeed Decoupler
Quote | Reply
I'm considering getting a Trek Domane. I'm looking for something more comfortable than what I am currently on (old style S5) as I don't road race as much anymore. My question is: Does that Isospeed decoupler seem do do much? I think the biggest gain in a bike such as the Domane (or really any new bike for that matter) is the ability to ride wider rubber, but I am curious about peoples experience. Also, any concerns about longevity?
Quote Reply
Re: Trek Isospeed Decoupler [jsoderman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have an older Domane 5.2 and really love it (rim brakes/25c tires). BUT I recently purchased a Trek Crockett as a 'cross/gravel' bike that has disc brakes and 38c tires. The tires make all the difference, but I think that a carbon frame is definitely helpful.

If I could do it all over again, I would get a Domane with a carbon frame and disc brakes. That way you can run tires up to 35c and get the benefits of a carbon frame.

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bikes/road-bikes/performance-road/domane/domane-sl/domane-sl-5-disc/p/1447000-2018/?colorCode=grey_red

An Emonda would be appealing too, but only can run 28c. IMO tires are going to make the biggest difference, followed by a carbon frame.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wider rubber at lower pressures will always do more for comfort than a frame will. That said, the Domane is really in a class of its own for comfort. I can’t tell the difference between *any* frame most of the time but the Domane is noticeably smoother over less than ideal roads.
Quote Reply
Re: Trek Isospeed Decoupler [MrPinochio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the input. I'm not going to go disc as I already have a eTap groupo with rim brakes, so I'll just be buying a frameset. According to the Trek website, the rim brake model will take 28's, which is what I think I would run in training and then 25s for the racing I do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a 2015 Domane 5.2 (carbon with the seat tube decoupler only) which replaced my Fuji SST. I ran 25s on both bikes and I definitely notice a difference with the decoupler. Much better ride, and the rear is a lot calmer when descending.

I want to trade up to one with both the front and rear decoupler. I considered an Emonda, but I prefer the smoother ride since my roadie is just for fun rides.

I talk to myself because mine are the only answers I'll accept - George Carlin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just bought a Trek Domane SL6 disc - and it is in a league of its own in terms of comfort. I only have a few rides on it (about 225 total miles) and it just feels great. I did 50 last Sunday on a loop that i had only done on my P3 prior and i remember feeling beaten up on the P3. After the ride on the Domane i felt super fresh. Granted the tires 30mm are like riding on clouds - but i can feel a noticeable difference with the front decoupler.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I owned a Domane until I got hit by a car, and the bike was rendered taco'd. The ride was a VERY comfortable one, and one that I wouldn't mind returning to in the future. Up until I got hit, I had put in about 8k miles on that bike, and the only issues I had were regular maintenance ones (tyres, chains, cassettes, etc).

My only hesitation right now is getting any kind of permission to buy another ride...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jsoderman wrote:
I'm considering getting a Trek Domane. I'm looking for something more comfortable than what I am currently on (old style S5) as I don't road race as much anymore. My question is: Does that Isospeed decoupler seem do do much? I think the biggest gain in a bike such as the Domane (or really any new bike for that matter) is the ability to ride wider rubber, but I am curious about peoples experience. Also, any concerns about longevity?

I can't comment on the Domane, but I've been riding and racing the hell out of my Boone for the past four seasons (the Boone was the first bike with the decoupler). I can't specifically say how the decoupler affects the ride (it's a cross bike after all, and 'smoothing out' a CX course isn't really a thing), but I absolutely love the bike.

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The decoupler on the new Domanes definitely works. You can even adjust how much it moves with a lever on the seat tube. But it is that same flexibility that makes me question the long-term durability of the new decoupler system they are using.
Quote Reply
Re: Trek Isospeed Decoupler [nightfend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cool thing about composites is that they are fantastic in fatigue. I bet it doesn't have much, if any, of an impact on the longevity.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a boone I use on the road a fair amount and also use for gravel races. It is pretty awesome, especially with a low pressure tubeless set up. Even when running 28mm conti all seasons with tubes I can tell a difference from other road bikes I own.
Quote Reply