Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Ironman Winner Sues Supplement Maker
Quote | Reply
will be interesting to see how this turns out.

https://www.dallasnews.com/...-products-cost-title

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Winner Sues Supplement Maker [Mike Plumb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
she seems to have a point and damages to her clearly occurred.

2018 Races: IM Santa Rosa, Vineman Monte Rio, Lake Tahoe 70.3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
People are going to that manufacturer knowing full well they are dodgy, and actually expecting that those supps contain PEDs. But the mfg won't be able to use that excuse in court. It will be an interesting case indeed.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Winner Sues Supplement Maker [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
People are going to that manufacturer knowing full well they are dodgy, and actually expecting that those supps contain PEDs.
Sorta like TylerHamilton taking a supplement for depression even though the supplement was known to contain DHEA. He's never copped to that.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Winner Sues Supplement Maker [spookini] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spookini wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:
People are going to that manufacturer knowing full well they are dodgy, and actually expecting that those supps contain PEDs.

Sorta like TylerHamilton taking a supplement for depression even though the supplement was known to contain DHEA. He's never copped to that.

I rode the tour with a severely broken collar bone on just bread and water... really!

Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Winner Sues Supplement Maker [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
johnnybefit wrote:
spookini wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:

I rode the tour with a severely broken collar bone on just bread and water... really!

Off topic I know but every time I see that picture, I can't help thinking that he literally looks like a concentration camp survivor. If this level of leanness is what people call "race weight", F*** the the hell out of that!!! He looks totally unhealthy.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Winner Sues Supplement Maker [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd say it is unhealthy racing at that level.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Typed 3 responses and deleted them......yeah, interested to see how this turns out.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Winner Sues Supplement Maker [Mike Alexander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Winner Sues Supplement Maker [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Mike Alexander wrote:
Typed 3 responses and deleted them......yeah, interested to see how this turns out.

I can't imagine either party wants to actually go to court.

Interesting perspective.

Care to elaborate?
Last edited by: windschatten: Dec 6, 17 0:06
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Winner Sues Supplement Maker [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Mike Alexander wrote:

Interesting perspective.

Care to elaborate?

Don't you think the parties will just settle out of court?

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Winner Sues Supplement Maker [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
windschatten wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Mike Alexander wrote:

Interesting perspective.

Care to elaborate?

Don't you think the parties will just settle out of court?

As a supplement distributor, I wouldn't.

Enough blame to go around.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Winner Sues Supplement Maker [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Doesn't seem to say what she is suing for. This is a dodgy area. If the banned substance isn't listed on the product's label, but it's in there, the manufacturer may be liable?

"The first virtue in a soldier is endurance of fatigue; courage is only the second virtue."
- Napoleon Bonaparte
Last edited by: Don_W: Dec 6, 17 4:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
johnnybefit wrote:
spookini wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:

Off topic I know but every time I see that picture, I can't help thinking that he literally looks like a concentration camp survivor. If this level of leanness is what people call "race weight", F*** the the hell out of that!!! He looks totally unhealthy.

That's what it takes to be a top rider in the tour.
Yes, it takes PED's too, but you also have to be stupid light.
Remember Michael R?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Winner Sues Supplement Maker [spookini] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spookini wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:

Actually, he did cop to it. Not sure how it went down, but it would be easy enough to check...in his book the "The Secret Race," Hamilton says he held a press conference wherein he said that he took the supplement and that he knew it contained DHEA after he the positive test.

Quote | Reply
This is why you have to know your supply chain all the way back to the original manufacturer. Unless there are boots on the ground inspecting the place they make some of this stuff, you cannot be assured of quality. Think of what happened to Cyto a few years back with arsenic and lead from contaminated protein (India). China...is an "issue". There was that issue in Australia with salt pills some years back. Our little tri world is pretty insulated, but when you venture into the body building world it should be a HUGE red flag for everyone. It's buyer beware.

I know everyone on the drink side, and this is the stuff that keeps us up at night. We all are ex-athletes and the though of causing an issue for anyone makes me sick to my stomach. What makes me sleep well is knowing that if there was a better ingredient available, we would use it. Sacrificing quality for price is NEVER a factor for us. We are probably 95% US Domestic produced ingredients. Everything we do is pre-tested before it hits my door. I know we are premium, but it's the very best quality with supply chain control from beginning to end. That makes me feel better.

infinIT Nutrition
Custom Blended Nutrition Solutions
http://www.infinITNutrition.com

Last edited by: infinIT 1: Dec 6, 17 5:49
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Winner Sues Supplement Maker [Don_W] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don_W wrote:
Doesn't seem to say what she is suing for. This is a dodgy area. If the banned substance isn't listed on the product's label, but it's in there, the manufacturer may be liable?

https://www.fda.gov/...480069.htm#what_info

The manufacturer has to list all ingredients. In practice, many products are not evaluated by the FDA for accurate information because it lacks time and funding for this.
Typically, a product will be evaluated if several folks suffer adverse medical events.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, he looks incredibly malnourished. But the one line I remember from his book, The Secret Race, is the doctor telling him, "Tyler, you are sooooo fat!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good for her. If you can prove, and it seems she did, that a supplement was mislabeled or contaminated then the athlete either shouldn't get a ban or the company needs to be held responsible for the damage done to that athlete.
It's easy to be high and mighty and say we should all know and be accountable for everything we put in our body, but during an IM it's hard to be completely self contained and not use any on course support. Or even keeping yourself from sampling anything at a race expo w/o first fully vetting the company.

I lived w/ a guy using testosterone cream for several months before I found out. I very likely would've failed a drug test because of trace amounts left on doorknobs, countertops, etc. It's impossible to always know everything that's going in.

Full disclosure, I knew Lauren when she first started tri, but i'd back anyone who provided an unopened product to be tested and found the contaminant. If a product is widely known to contain an unlisted substance then put it on the banned list.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Winner Sues Supplement Maker [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not an expert on this, but most supplements don't seem to be regulated by the FDA, which is pointed out on their labels. In that case, FDA regulations would not apply (I would think). Not sure what supplement was being used here, but as others have said, I think if something isn't regulated by FDA, you are taking it into your own hands.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Winner Sues Supplement Maker [triball13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are confusing 2 things here. First, the link I posted is directly from the FDA.
What the FDA does not regulate are the claims made by supplement manufacturers. Manufacturers still have to indicate what is in their products.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Winner Sues Supplement Maker [infinIT 1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
infinIT 1 wrote:
This is why you have to know your supply chain all the way back to the original manufacturer. Unless there are boots on the ground inspecting the place they make some of this stuff, you cannot be assured of quality. Think of what happened to Cyto a few years back with arsenic and lead from contaminated protein (India). China...is an "issue". There was that issue in Australia with salt pills some years back. Our little tri world is pretty insulated, but when you venture into the body building world it should be a HUGE red flag for everyone. It's buyer beware.

I know everyone on the drink side, and this is the stuff that keeps us up at night. We all are ex-athletes and the though of causing an issue for anyone makes me sick to my stomach. What makes me sleep well is knowing that if there was a better ingredient available, we would use it. Sacrificing quality for price is NEVER a factor for us. We are probably 95% US Domestic produced ingredients. Everything we do is pre-tested before it hits my door. I know we are premium, but it's the very best quality with supply chain control from beginning to end. That makes me feel better.

"...which Barnett had purchased at a store in Plano and cleared with her trainer before using..."

Who on earth is her trainer? I had never heard of this/these products & just a quick glance in viewing their website, how could any 1/2-way decent trainer, recommend a product w/ literally zero independent testing on the ingredients/sourcing?

Brian Shea
http://www.PersonalBestNutrition.com
Open-Water/Masters Swimming at the Jersey Shore:
Monmouth County NJ Ocean Swim/Masters Workouts
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Winner Sues Supplement Maker [BrianPBN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BrianPBN wrote:
infinIT 1 wrote:

"...which Barnett had purchased at a store in Plano and cleared with her trainer before using..."

Who on earth is her trainer? I had never heard of this/these products & just a quick glance in viewing their website, how could any 1/2-way decent trainer, recommend a product w/ literally zero independent testing on the ingredients/sourcing?

Ah, what do you know?

:-)

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Winner Sues Supplement Maker [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ah okay, there's my lack of understanding there. Good thing to have learned though as I always thought it was a little confusing.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Winner Sues Supplement Maker [triball13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Practically, you are correct however, because the FDA lacks the resources to check the product labels. So until things are monitored more closely, it will remain as if there is zero oversight, unless people die (usually the only time the FDA will start looking at a specific product).
Quote Reply

Prev Next