Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Winter Cycling Boots
Quote | Reply
Looking for some recommendations.

Spending $250-$350 for 45NRTH boots seems pretty stupid expensive. I'm hoping for $100-$150 tops. Any recommendations? Lowest temps I'd be riding in is in the teens or twenties.

Also to add, this is my first winter riding, not sure if this will continue, wife already thinks the fat bike was a bad purchase.
Quote Reply
Re: Winter Cycling Boots [AndysStrongAle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can get some nice winter boots from Sorel that are gaiter-high and well within that budget. Check out the Blizzard, Bear, or Alpha Pac. If you are riding platform pedals in the winter then these are great for those temps.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
But the Red Wing 45 NRTH boots look amazing...

Pactimo brand ambassador, ask me about promo codes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For my Fatbike I went with Lake MXZ303-X Wide Winter Bike Boots, still pretty expensive at $250. You could always just use Neoprene overshoes, which is a cheaper option($50).
Quote Reply
Re: Winter Cycling Boots [jdais] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are neoprene covers just as warm? I have some and my feet still get cold at 30 degrees or so, granted im not wearing super thick socks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
how cold does it get, are you riding for under 1hr? For $100-150, you're probably limited to winter hiking boots and flat pedals. If it's not too cold (down to -7C or -10C), you could get by with winter shoes from most companies, otherwise you'll have to look more "boot like" options from Bontrager, 45nrth, or Garneau. The fleece lined or neoprene shoe covers can also get you down to -7C or -10C, but you have to put up with sometimes having to "fix" the toe of the bootie in place if it comes off while you walk.
Quote Reply
Re: Winter Cycling Boots [pknight] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Whats this Celsius stuff? I leave north so -10 or -12 is pretty common. What is probably worse is the wind, 15-25mph winds are pretty normal.

I can't remember the last time I have ridden flat pedals beyond around the block with a kid. I can't see myself going that route, but I might have to.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We’re talking bike shoes right?

I had the old specialized defroster and it was cheap but the ankle covereage wasn’t high enough. The new model seems to remedy that.

Currently I’m riding Siri diablos which are pretty great but I generally don’t ride below freezing. Plenty of room for wool socks.

Lake 303s are absurdly warm and can been found on sale with some looking.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Many people (myself included) use flat pedals for the fat bike. Doing that, you won't be limited to something so expensive - I ride in an older pair of Keen winter boots that have a very flexible ankle/upper.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thing is, if you plan to be doing this for a while, those boots are going to last pretty much forever. The neoprene covers last 1-2 years depending on how much walking you do...you can extend it to 4 years with creative use of duct tape once the toe starts to wear out. If you get the boots, every time one of your buddies with the shoe covers gets frozen toes you can tell them "at least you saved some $$".

I ride down into the single digits and have an ancient pair of the Lake MXZ 300s...probably 15 years old. I brought them to a shoe repair place because the heel was coming off. I put neoprene shoe covers over them permanently since I had a pair kicking around and if the conditions are boot worthy, nobody has ever said "my feet are too hot." I added some duct tape wraps to the toe to protect the part that goes around the cleat.

Make sure you start the ride with warm shoes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got a set of Louis Garneau (LG) size 47's on sale for like $95 5 years ago.

It's basically a cycling shoe with an integrated center zip cover to form a boot. They are great! I have them on right now, just done cycling back from the plant. Using Crank Bros- type pedals. Took off the flat pedals because I wanted to put more coal on the drive-line!

I spray waterproof them every year. I was looking for another set actually, found these but have not ordered....

<https://garneau.com/...r-rd-cycling-shoes-c

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AndysStrongAle wrote:
Looking for some recommendations.

Spending $250-$350 for 45NRTH boots seems pretty stupid expensive. I'm hoping for $100-$150 tops. Any recommendations? Lowest temps I'd be riding in is in the teens or twenties.

Also to add, this is my first winter riding, not sure if this will continue, wife already thinks the fat bike was a bad purchase.

I've used both Lake and 45NRTH, but they come at a price.

The new Fizik Artica X5 caught my eye as something that I might use for crossover seasons here (even that R5 road version would be useful for half our riding season). Not as heavy duty as the Lake/45NRTH options, but probably fine for your riding temps. You can always go a couple sizes larger to allow sock layers, vapor barrier options or electric socks/insoles for very cold days. The $200 price seems reasonable, though a bit over your price cap.
Quote Reply
Re: Winter Cycling Boots [SharkFM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you comfortable in those LGs down to ~20?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use some MTB Northwave boots, picked them up in the sale for ~$100 a couple of years ago. Fine down to the low teens in Fahrenheit even for pretty long rides, where I live that's about as cold as it gets. I prefer two-sided MTB pedals for riding in winter anyway, easier to clip in and out with gunk on the cleats and pedals, and with recessed cleats it's easier to walk around on wet or icy ground. The only time I had an issue with them was when I had a ride where I got unexpectedly soaked with rain and got wet feet, then the temperature plummeted well below freezing. Normally if there's rain expected and it's cold I'll wear some waterproof overtrousers, since the one problem with fully taped, waterproof boots is that if water gets in the top there's nowhere for it to get out again!

Good thing about winter boots is there are always some good deals in spring, though I appreciate that may not help given that it's early December...

Leave plenty of room for nice warm merino socks.
Quote Reply
Re: Winter Cycling Boots [kdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What kdw said - a good quality cycling boot will last many seasons. This is not an area you should skimp on if you are planning to enjoy winter cycling. I do a lot of cold fatbiking up here in Quebec and depending on the temps I'll use either my 45N Fasterkatts or my 45N Wolvenhammers. The Fasterkatts can take me from 0 to -10 cel. and the Wolvenahammers from -5 to -20 cel.

I also use backcountry snow pants with suspenders that cover my boots. Warm legs = warm feet.

Edit: Both boots are purchased a little bigger to fit thicker wool socks.

Last edited by: Bonesbrigade: Dec 6, 17 5:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I found the 45nth boots to be pretty lacking in quality and consistency. Even right to left the sizing is wonky on some pairs.

Those things are definitely priced to market, QBP has about as much expertise in making a shoe as they do in making a bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just bought a pair of Sidi Frost Gore from one of the German online retailers.
A bit over your budget, but I bet they last a lifetime.

Probably not the warmest boot for sub-arctic fat biking, but plenty warm enough for me up to -10C or so.
Any colder than that and I wouldn't be cycling anyways.
All of the hardcore fat bikers are riding 45Nrth. I've heard the Bontrager boots are pretty good to.
Quote Reply
Re: Winter Cycling Boots [kdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kdw wrote:
Thing is, if you plan to be doing this for a while, those boots are going to last pretty much forever. The neoprene covers last 1-2 years depending on how much walking you do...you can extend it to 4 years with creative use of duct tape once the toe starts to wear out. If you get the boots, every time one of your buddies with the shoe covers gets frozen toes you can tell them "at least you saved some $$".

This. I tried going cheap for years, until I finally bit the bullet and invested in some Sidis w/ the Gore-Tex liners (where I live, wet is a much or more of a problem than just straight arctic cold). The various booties kinda sorta work situationally, but I was always struggling w/ some other trade-off (my shoes are big enough it was hard to find the right size that wasn't so tight to squeeze circulation and wrestle on/off, but not too loose so that all kinds of shit seeped in, and they also rubbed the crap out of the crankarms). When I ultimately got the dedicated cold/wet-specific cycling boots, I only had to make the painful trade-off of cash once up front and have never second-guessed it since.
Last edited by: OneGoodLeg: Dec 6, 17 11:25
Quote Reply
Re: Winter Cycling Boots [OneGoodLeg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll add that the MSRP made me cringe, but after having my eye on them for long enough I was able to find my size in the previous color/style off eBay for a little over half (i think they had an older version sole too instead of the very latest super-duper ultra carbon $$$ whatever; hardly a big deal for this application).

Although that's of course not as helpful if you want a new pair immediately and they haven't updated model cycles recently enough.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Until now I used neoprene covers from specialized, worked but feet got cold soon.
Decided to get winter boots last month and went with NW Flash Arctic gtx.
Been described to insulate til -10 degrees Celsius, my feet got cold after 50 mins at just 1 degrees. When the ride was done at little over 2 hrs they were frozen.
I did send em back today and see if I get the refund of little over $ 220 although I used em, which is the only way to find out if they work.
Liked them other than that a lot.

-shoki
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're at the wrong time of year to find the best deals on winter gear ;-)

I bought a pair of Pearl Izumi boots ~8-10 years ago and I think they are a game changer ( Not PI's per se, but a dedicated insulated cycling shoe) - but I bought them in the spring for ~ 50% off clearance pricing.

As others have said - this season you can maybe get away with flat pedals and some snow boots and see how much you like it, then pop for the real winter boots in the spring.

What I love about my PI boots is they make winter cycling fun on the road or MTB also - for that reason I have the same pedals ( Crank Brothers ) on all my bikes, so I can use any shoe on any bike. If you are not planning deep woods expeditions on your fattie, pick something out that is not so heavy you could use it on a chilly road ride or a snowy CX excursion.

" I take my gear out of my car and put my bike together. Tourists and locals are watching from sidewalk cafes. Non-racers. The emptiness of of their lives shocks me. "
(opening lines from Tim Krabbe's The Rider , 1978
Quote Reply
Re: Winter Cycling Boots [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:
Are you comfortable in those LGs down to ~20?

I saw that initially as -minus 20 and I thought it was a "BDB"

I am cycling at about 0 C / 32DegF now. I have thermal socks & feet are toasty. My hands are frozen in cycling mitts.

LG doesn't make my boots anymore, which are a road style but have a MTB sole. Now they have a mountain boot and a road boot, with flap and looks like a BOA.

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply
Re: Winter Cycling Boots [SharkFM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like there are some other good brands on here between 180-200 based on a quick online search. I'll probably make the purchase after Christmas. Next challenge is to get wife approval.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well purchased some Bontrager Old Man Winters for $200. Spoke to a bike store owner who rode in them. They aren't as popular as the 45NRTHs so I guess the price on them kept dropping.

First ride was today, temps were around 10F. After a 40 minute ride I'll say my feet were cold most of the time, but not to the point where I was uncomfortable. The fit was perfect, I generally wear a size 41, but chose a size 42. The cool part about the boots is the inside comes out, sort of like old ski boots. This allows for quicker drying after a ride. I'm hoping the temperature creeps up to the 20's soon, but I can use them for these temperatures. Weekend will bring negative temps meaning I'll be on the trainer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
totally late to the topic, Lake Cycling MXZ series have been the standard for sub zero footwear for 20years. Iditabike and other events.

Have ridden others; Sidi, Gaerne, Northwave et al. I also have the coldest feet in the world, and need booties well into the mid 50'sF temps. While the others were ok for an hour at 30F, they were unbearable after 1 hour. At 20F and lower the Lakes were perfect. The rest of me was miserable, but my feet were warm.

that being said, the Lakes are too warm if it's over 40F, ha!

Anne Barnes
ABBikefit, Ltd
FIST/SICI/FIST DOWN DEEP
X/Y Coordinator
abbikefit@gmail.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next