Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Savageman 70.0 to become 60.0 [happyscientist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
happyscientist wrote:
I got that email, too. I live in the area, so I have done either the oly or the 70 almost every year since I started triathlons. I am glad that I had a chance to do the full 70 course before it was changed, but if this change is needed to save the race, then I support it. They were smart and left the wall in, which I think is a big draw for people. Am I reading it right that they put the fire road back in the run course for the 30? I was very disappointed that they took that out. As a trail runner, I could make up some time on that stretch.

In a way, I am relieved to see the race shortened. It still won't be easy, but I am thinking that next year, I would like to do more, shorter races instead of focusing on just a couple longer races. I am close enough to the course, that I can always find friends who want to ride it with me while I train, which makes me extra lucky. Bonus: when I was running this summer, I found a hill less than two miles from my house that is over 25% for longer than the wall, so I can really get ready for that brick.

Yes, the fire tower road is in the run course for both the 30 and 60.
Quote Reply
Re: Savageman 70.0 to become 60.0 [kcb203] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kcb203 wrote:
I just got an e-mail about changes to Savageman. It will now be a 50 mile bike and 10 mile run. The Westernport Wall remains, but the punch climbs in the second half of the bike are gone.

https://www.vtsmts.com/savageman70half/

Virginia-Maryland Triathlon Series says the changes are in response to dwindling registration numbers. I'm not sure this will affect that. I've done the race twice. It seems like it's still way to hard for the crowd that is looking to step up from olympic distance. But it's no longer the toughest half IM around, either.

I might check out the 20/20 race. I hope to one day got the hills again out there. Was an amazing race. I would love to see my brick too!

I'm kinda bummed about the early pricing for some of these races (vtsmts). They are starting the early registration prices at 75 for a sprint. That seems way too high to me. I will try a few this next year and maybe move on from this. I like training and I enjoy my roadie.
Quote Reply
Re: Savageman 70.0 to become 60.0 [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Prices go up tonight. I've scheduled a calendar reminder to register the wife and I tonight (after I've started drinking). Finally going to do it. Anyone else with me?
Quote Reply
Re: Savageman 70.0 to become 60.0 [dprocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Might use as "tuneup" for IMAZ as I've always wanted to do this race.
Quote Reply
Re: Savageman 70.0 to become 60.0 [TrierinKC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TrierinKC wrote:
Might use as "tuneup" for IMAZ as I've always wanted to do this race.

Travelling from Kansas City also?
Quote Reply
Re: Savageman 70.0 to become 60.0 [dprocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in for the 20/20 and 60. Really excited. Races like this really keep me motivated.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
70 is back for 2019.

And this:

Big Savage Challenge
3 days of racing. $10,000 in prize money. Lowest cumulative time wins. Select Big Savage Challenge when registering for a multi-event discount.
Friday – Swim-Run Prologue / Saturday – Olympic / Sunday – Long Course
Quote Reply
Re: Savageman 70.0 to become 60.0 [mjp202] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
anyone know if the race happened in 2018? I didn't see any results.

Glad that they brought the 70 back, since I had it on my bucket list for a while. Doing it this year and didn't realize that there were this many iterations of the race. Looks like about 500 athletes signed up for the various events, so while there will only be about 100 for the 70, there are at least people signing up for the shorter ones. Admittedly though since they are on different days, it ads to the costs/logistics.
Quote Reply
Re: Savageman 70.0 to become 60.0 [Bioteknik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The race was canceled due to weather. It was borderline apocalyptic here in Maryland with all the rain last year and a lot of local events were canceled or modified due to being in a constant state of flood.

Level II USAT Coach | Level 3 USAC Coach | NASM-CPT
Team Zoot | Tailwind Trailblazer
I can tell you why you're sick, I just can't write you an Rx
Quote Reply
Re: Savageman 70.0 to become 60.0 [Dr_Cupcake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I remember thinking that it was canceled due to the rain when I was looking but couldn't remember specifically if that weekend was actually bad. But now I can see I rode inside on a Saturday that weekend (I'm out near Frederick), but thought the weekend before was the crazy one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, just 100 in the 70. That's depressing. Gonna be lonely out there. In the peak years it had about 600 registrants and 500 actually racing on course and 250+ people earning bricks to go in the road. I sure hope they get more than 100 out there, although that will sure make for less congestion on the Wall. :)
Quote Reply
Re: Savageman 70.0 to become 60.0 [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it’s closer to 200? Site shows 132, and then another 67 for the big savage challenge (plus 4 relays and 15 aqua bikes)
Quote Reply
Re: Savageman 70.0 to become 60.0 [Willi3ja] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Willi3ja wrote:
I think it’s closer to 200? Site shows 132, and then another 67 for the big savage challenge (plus 4 relays and 15 aqua bikes)

That sounds a lot better. Still way down from the peak years of 2011-13, but pretty consistent with the past few years. So, that's good. Sasquatch will have a lot more difficulty isolating single riders atop Big Savage Mountain to take back to his lair.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's going to be awesome I think we're going to have a good amount of people from st there
Quote Reply
Re: Savageman 70.0 to become 60.0 [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kileyay wrote:
B_Doughtie wrote:
I wish we as a sport could keep races like this, but in my opinion this isn't the way to save them.

---------------

Ok then what is the way to save them?

Stop WTC. How exactly, I don’t know. And I’m part of the problem.

I think the answer is simple. Support (= enter) indi events, not WTC ones.
Indies are flourishing in the UK, because people keep entering them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I rode up there for a few days in June and did the GCGF and am chiming in to say the roads there are incredible. If you are on the fence, you have to go do this race. Just beautiful. You will not regret it.
Quote Reply
Re: Savageman 70.0 to become 60.0 [DBF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cam Wurf's been doing a lot of training out there. Not many KOMs left around for others to have....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Willi3ja wrote:

I didn't mean around to say <= 100. But i did forget to add in the big savage challenge racers.

About the same size as the ex2 xterra in flintstone.

Im pre riding the course tomorrow, nice that this heat wave finally broke. Im hoping to do pretty well in my age group but there will be some fast people in the 40-44 group.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bioteknik wrote:
Willi3ja wrote:

I didn't mean around to say <= 100. But i did forget to add in the big savage challenge racers.

About the same size as the ex2 xterra in flintstone.

Im pre riding the course tomorrow, nice that this heat wave finally broke. Im hoping to do pretty well in my age group but there will be some fast people in the 40-44 group.

I'm in 40 - 44. I hope just to be middle of the pack. There are some studs in our AG.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bioteknik wrote:
Im pre riding the course tomorrow, nice that this heat wave finally broke.

It's a gorgeous freaking day. And high of 67. I'm going to go out on a limb and wager that you had a most enjoyable ride today.
Quote Reply
Re: Savageman 70.0 to become 60.0 [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kny wrote:
Bioteknik wrote:

It's a gorgeous freaking day. And high of 67. I'm going to go out on a limb and wager that you had a most enjoyable ride today.

It was phenomenal out there. Very nice ride. I'm going to post up my thoughts on the other thread for this year's race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bioteknik wrote:
kny wrote:
Bioteknik wrote:

It was phenomenal out there. Very nice ride. I'm going to post up my thoughts on the other thread for this year's race.

Do a roll call with ur thoughts?
Quote Reply

Prev Next