Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Elite Direto Erg Mode Not working: Help please
Quote | Reply
I was able to pick up an Elite Direto on sale this past weekend and it arrived today. The setup was easy enough, but once I started my first workout I found the problem. The trainer is not adjusting the resistance at all. I have tried a workout in TrainerRoad, and the Elite app as well. I have done the trainer calibration and matched it to the number written on the bottom of the trainer from the factory, completed the power smoothing, and entered the wheel size as 173 as directed in the manual. I wrote Elite an email, but the auto response indicated a 48 hour response. Does anyone have any recommendations?
Quote Reply
Re: Elite Direto Erg Mode Not working: Help please [jwf0056] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had the same problem while using an I-Pad (still kinda have the issue). However, if i started a trainer road workout, unplugged the direto, plugged it back in, it would work. SOMETIMES i needed to also unpair the device.

I switched to just using a Macbook and it worked fine, so i think the issue is with ios. I assume trainer road or direto will come out with some firmware that solves the issue in the near future.
Last edited by: patentattorney: Nov 30, 17 6:37
Quote Reply
Re: Elite Direto Erg Mode Not working: Help please [patentattorney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll have to give the restart a try. The downfall is I'm already using a MacBook to run the software.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Let me know if that works/doesnt work. I can write down the steps I take later today/tomorrow if it doesnt. If you find a better way in the future, let me know.

(I have emailed ELITE asking about the issue a couple of days ago, havent heard anything). I also dont know if there is a similar issue on other software (whether it is on elite's end or trainerroads) P.S. love you trainer road guys, and the podcasts, everything from you has been great.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use an iPad with mine - do you get to a screen like this?

Quote Reply
Re: Elite Direto Erg Mode Not working: Help please [kenwil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry, just actually read your title - Erg mode problems. I've been using resistance only w/ no issues. that obviously doesn't help...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jwf0056 wrote:
I was able to pick up an Elite Direto on sale this past weekend and it arrived today. The setup was easy enough, but once I started my first workout I found the problem. The trainer is not adjusting the resistance at all. I have tried a workout in TrainerRoad, and the Elite app as well. I have done the trainer calibration and matched it to the number written on the bottom of the trainer from the factory, completed the power smoothing, and entered the wheel size as 173 as directed in the manual. I wrote Elite an email, but the auto response indicated a 48 hour response. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Hey there!

Unfortunately this is a known issue with the Direto when paired via Bluetooth. We have found that the trainer can put itself in a "bad state", in which case you have to unplug it for a few minutes before plugging it back in This resets the trainer and clears out anything that might have been "off". Currently, we don't have a more elegant solution to this problem, but we are hoping that Elite releases a firmware update in the near future.

If you have any more questions, you can always reach us at support@trainerroad.com :)

Get Faster with TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've also been having issues with Ipad but my Iphone is working fine. Not sure why one works and other doesn't but it is annoying.
Quote Reply
Re: Elite Direto Erg Mode Not working: Help please [Kenny Hines] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well the unplug was able to turn the erg mode on. Thank you to everyone for the replies. Unfortunately this brought up another problem during the actual set. The control of the power is all over the place. This is manageable on the recovery portions, even though it is consistently over the prescribed power, but the constant spikes during the set seems to void the point of the of the workout. I do have a QX1 ring, which i though may be causing some issues, so I traded it for a round ring for the second set. It didn't seem to do any better with a round ring. Any more ideas? I had a kickr snap that did the same thing before doing an advanced spin down, but that stabilized the power, even with the QX1 ring. I attached a picture from the Kickr Snap trainer. It did a fantastic job when I could get it connected, and it stayed connected.
Last edited by: jwf0056: Nov 30, 17 15:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
re: your second problem, I am finding the direto a little bit picky about gear choice in ERG mode, depending on the prescribed power intervals. If you want to get around 100-400 Watts at cadences between 80 and 100, I find that small chainring and middle (15-17) cog works better.
Quote Reply
Re: Elite Direto Erg Mode Not working: Help please [iker2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I second this (using smaller chain and middle gear). I use a 10spd on the device.
Quote Reply
Re: Elite Direto Erg Mode Not working: Help please [iker2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iker2 wrote:
re: your second problem, I am finding the direto a little bit picky about gear choice in ERG mode, depending on the prescribed power intervals. If you want to get around 100-400 Watts at cadences between 80 and 100, I find that small chainring and middle (15-17) cog works better.

I've found this as well. The Direto struggles with low resistance (e.g. 100-150 watts). My first few times using it I was in 52x15 or thereabouts at ~80rpms and the lowest power the Direto was able to obtain was ~150 watts even though TR was calling for ~100 watts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dang it, having issues with both iphone and ipad now. The trainer's bluetooth keeps getting hosed up. Sure hope that Elite has a firmware fix.
Quote Reply
Re: Elite Direto Erg Mode Not working: Help please [Kenny Hines] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Had my Direto for 7 days now and ERG has just packed up. Running it on Bluetooth through iPhone or iPad into Trainer Road and after working great for 7 days it’s stopping working. No matter what you do to reset it the ERG does not engage.
Going to try it through Ant+ tonight and see if that works?
Quote Reply
Re: Elite Direto Erg Mode Not working: Help please [bailey2310] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Let us know how it goes with ant connection.
Posted on DCRainmaker about the problem and his advice was to ensure no other bluetooth aps were running to hose things up. The part I don't understand is I can see all the information from the trainee to my iphone but unable to control resistance in either mode with any ap.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeh the power is reading ok on mine but the actual ERG has totally stopping providing resistance to keep power at set level. Very frustrating as I’m in middle of build phase.
Quote Reply
Re: Elite Direto Erg Mode Not working: Help please [bailey2310] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bluetooth can be an issue. Sometimes even after powering the unit off and turning it back on it pairs to whatever device it was paired with. If you use your phone to pair to the trainer via BT, I would turn off BT on the phone completely. Unplug your Direto. Open the app you want to use it with and then plug in your Dirto.
Also, are you trying to use it w/TrainerRoad? Have you tried it with other apps such as Zwift?

SmartBikeTrainers.com || YouTube || My Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Elite Direto Erg Mode Not working: Help please [Tri Nut] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just tried it with Ant+ TrainerRoad on pc and erg is working. Might just keep it on n there now and see how it goes. I’ll post if any issues arise with Ant+ and ERG
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kenny Hines wrote:
Let us know how it goes with ant connection.
Posted on DCRainmaker about the problem and his advice was to ensure no other bluetooth aps were running to hose things up. The part I don't understand is I can see all the information from the trainee to my iphone but unable to control resistance in either mode with any ap.

I just figured out something this evening: erg mode works fine for me over bluetooth until I pair my bluetooth headphones to my Mac. At that point, erg goes out but I still get power readings.
Quote Reply
Re: Elite Direto Erg Mode Not working: Help please [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Crazy, all worked great today. I turned iphone, ipad and garmin watch off and unplugged the trainer. Plugged the trainer in and turned on ipad only. Opened trainerroad ap and loaded workout then statted pedaling. No issues, erg worked perfect.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Likewise this morning I did a TR workout with wired headphones. During the cool down I turned on my bluetooth headphones and, sure enough, erg crapped out.
Quote Reply
Re: Elite Direto Erg Mode Not working: Help please [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
when the cyclops magnus first came out it would only work ant+ with trainer road. might be the same case. give it a try

Yellowfin Endurance Coaching and Bike Fits
USAT Level 1, USAC Level 3
Quote Reply
Re: Elite Direto Erg Mode Not working: Help please [surfNJmatt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
surfNJmatt wrote:
when the cyclops magnus first came out it would only work ant+ with trainer road. might be the same case. give it a try

The Direto will work via both ANT+ and Bluetooth with TrainerRoad. Elite is however working through an issue with their FTMS Bluetooth impementation. This is newely developed universal Bluetooth protocol that will allow devices with FTMS to run much more reliably, however there are a few kinks that are being ironed out. Elite is working on a firmware update that will prevent the trainer from going into a "bad state", requiring an unplugging reboot process. Until then, it would be good practice to unplug your trainer for a few minutes before each workout if pairing via Bluetooth.

Regarding the headphones issue, this is not something that we have heard of before. This seems to differ from the typical "bad state" issues we've been dealing with if connecting Bluetooth mid-ride causes ERG irregularities. Will those having issues with Bluetooth Headphones reach out to our support staff at support@trainerroad.com? We would love to take a closer look at the log files for the rides in question.

Thanks so much!

Get Faster with TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm having a similar issue with my Direto - works great in erg mode when it works, but doesn't work all the time. I'm using Trainer Road, with a bluetooth connection through iOS 11.1. See the attached image for an example of where the trainer does not match the target power. This is frustrating when it happens, as it means I need to abandon a workout and mess about trying to reset the Direto, and then test it to see if the reset worked. For this purpose, I have created a short custom training session in Trainer Road that goes through some up/down power steps over a 2 min duration. At least this way I can test quickly if the trainer is working in erg mode before getting too far into a TR workout.

I have not yet found any pattern to the situations in which the Direto works vs. doesn't work. I'll report back here if I have any luck resolving the issues.

Separately, repeating I think what some others have pointed out, it's pretty important to have the trainer in the right gear for the target power and cadence ranges that you are aiming for when in erg mode. See the second attached image for a table I found on the Elite Direto facebook page. This was very helpful in guiding me towards the right gear for my workouts.
Last edited by: BigWheels7: Dec 8, 17 8:31
Quote Reply
Re: Elite Direto Erg Mode Not working: Help please [BigWheels7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have had four rides now without issue. Not sure what is making the difference but I start with everything off and direto unplugged. While ipad is booting up, I plug in direto and start pedaling. Open trainerroad ap and load a workout. After its going then I don tickr hrm. So far so good.
Quote Reply

Prev Next