Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 2017/18 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi all! how can I sync Strava to Slowtwitch, is it possible? (newbie to Strava here)
Quote Reply
Re: 2017/18 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread [MarioTB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MarioTB wrote:
Hi all! how can I sync Strava to Slowtwitch, is it possible? (newbie to Strava here)

we hope to have that functionality finished by the start of the 100/100. we're close! the workouts will sync to our training log. theoretically.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: 2017/18 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It would be nice to allow a minimum of 5K or 3 miles instead of 30 minutes. This would also allow 4x1 mile or 6x800 (plus 400 warmup) speed workouts. If it's not too complex, you could put a required average pace on the runs under 30 minutes to keep it from being too easy. It's a little odd to count a 30-minute 5K but not a 20-minute 5K.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
MarioTB wrote:

we hope to have that functionality finished by the start of the 100/100. we're close! the workouts will sync to our training log. theoretically.

Nice! thanks so much Dan!
Quote Reply
Re: 2017/18 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread [xpda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xpda wrote:
It would be nice to allow a minimum of 5K or 3 miles instead of 30 minutes. This would also allow 4x1 mile or 6x800 (plus 400 warmup) speed workouts. If it's not too complex, you could put a required average pace on the runs under 30 minutes to keep it from being too easy. It's a little odd to count a 30-minute 5K but not a 20-minute 5K.

i think if you ran 4 x 1mi, with the rest interval, you could count your rest interval. so, as long as this was an active workout, with the rest being no more than is necessary to achieve the desired interval workout effect, you'd get the whole time start to finish as your allotted time. that is what my best sense tells me.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: 2017/18 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri3 wrote:
SLO, game on!

You better start running. I’m gonna catch you this time!!

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Re: 2017/18 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
Impulse-Warp wrote:

Is there a rules thread to go with this?

Asking for a friend who owns an elliptical....

devashish_paul wrote:
Both feet need to leave the medium you are landing on and be in the air during every stride if not that does not count as running.

I think that's a no to elliptical

This is correct. Both feet have to leave the medium you are landing on during every stride.....does not matter if you land on pavement, sand, snow, gravel, treadmill deck, a boardwalk, a concrete runway outsprinting an F-18 with F404 turbofans or if you are running in the Kentucky Derby on mud trying to win the triple crown....you need to take flight on every stride. Heck, you can include water running if your entire body launches out of the water, leaves the water, is suspended in air and then you come back down on the water. If you are Jesus, you would not sink and just launch into the next stride....the rest of us will sink making it harder to launch into the air on the next stride.

Seriously, we all know what real running is. If you have to ask if what you were doing is running good chance it is not. It's like what I told my son when he was 7....if you have to ask me for permission for something you think might transgress family rules/values, you probably don't have to ask because you already know yourself what the answer is. He's 21 now and it's work pretty good. . Just do real running and it does not matter what surface you are on and what you are wearing on your feet (spikes, hokas, snowshoes, studded screws on your Newtons to run on ice....we don't care....just run dammit)!!!!

Now where is the festivus pole? I got the soup Nazi coming over this afternoon if you guys get out of line. Gotta go prepare for some VC meetings. If I am successful, then this place will have to police itself during 100/100....if I fail, I will have a ton of time to be a pain in the butt....hopefully you don't have to air the grievance that I have too much time to devote around here!
Quote Reply
Re: 2017/18 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
I think you mean the complement, not the inverse

Gawd.

Citizen of the world, former drunkard. Resident Traumatic Brain Injury advocate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in if y'all can get the auto sync to work.
Quote Reply
Re: 2017/18 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't Strava, nor do I have a GPS watch, so manual entries are fine with me

How lazy are you people that if you can't sync your device to the Log, you won't take a minute to hop over and enter it manually?

I mean, you're already here anyway, right? Afraid you're gonna miss something?

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: 2017/18 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm going to be running a shitload regardless. This seems like it will be fun, but what I don't need is something else I have to do, like manually logging miles that are already automatically logged from my garmin to my training peaks and strava accounts.
Quote Reply
Re: 2017/18 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread [Richard Blaine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
I think you mean the complement, not the inverse
Gawd.

:D

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: 2017/18 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
I'm in if y'all can get the auto sync to work.

I'm about 90% of the way there, Sean, so I feel safe in saying yes, it will be there.

-Eric
Quote Reply
Re: 2017/18 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread [xpda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xpda wrote:
It would be nice to allow a minimum of 5K or 3 miles instead of 30 minutes.

This was proposed last year, as well

sch340 wrote:
RandMart wrote:
B.McMaster wrote:
How about we drop the "threshold" to 3.1 miles or 30 minutes?

During the Summer, I hosted the 2016 Screaming Tortise [It Only FEELS Endless] Endless Summer 100 Days / 100 Runs Challenge, wherein the minimum was 3 miles or 30 minutes

However, for the Slowtwitch crowd, who can probably drop a 24:00 5K without much trouble, what's another 6 minutes? Granted, we're all pressed for time, but ... it's SIX minutes!!!

Agree with keeping it to 30 minutes.. the challenge is about consistency not speed - no temptations to race through the 3.1 miles to get done faster.

Also, the Challenge is for % days out of 100; no prizes for how many MILES you run on those days

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's a little odd to count a 30-minute 5K but not a 20-minute 5K. //

Well for most here running a 20 or under 5K would be a race, or race effort type of run. So add in a little warm up and warm down and you got your 30 minutes.

My interest is piqued, did we decide treadmill is ok?? I would definitely have to start there before my big body hits the road surfaces and full gravity. Perhaps this is what I need to get those pesky 15 lbs to leave the mothership..
Quote Reply
Re: 2017/18 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
It's a little odd to count a 30-minute 5K but not a 20-minute 5K. //

Well for most here running a 20 or under 5K would be a race, or race effort type of run. So add in a little warm up and warm down and you got your 30 minutes.

My interest is piqued, did we decide treadmill is ok?? I would definitely have to start there before my big body hits the road surfaces and full gravity. Perhaps this is what I need to get those pesky 15 lbs to leave the mothership..

Treadmill is definitely OK.

I mean, for purposes of the challenge. It's the fastest path to madness that I'm aware of :-D :-D :-D

-Eric
Quote Reply
Re: 2017/18 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread [EricTheBiking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good deal, thx
Quote Reply
Re: 2017/18 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread [EricTheBiking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EricTheBiking wrote:
Treadmill is definitely OK.

I mean, for purposes of the challenge. It's the fastest path to madness that I'm aware of :-D :-D :-D

-Eric

Yeah, I frequently count on it December-March

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Treadmill should be in!

For us in the colder parts of the country, this might be the only way to log miles due to inclement conditions, cold, darkness, etc.

Anyone want to go for 150 in 100 days?
Quote Reply
Re: 2017/18 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread [JGell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JGell wrote:
Treadmill should be in!

For us in the colder parts of the country, this might be the only way to log miles due to inclement conditions, cold, darkness, etc.

He said "Yes" = leave it alone

Quote Reply
Re: 2017/18 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread [SLOgoing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
You better start running. I’m gonna catch you this time!!

Catch me if you can!
PS Tomorrow is my last day of work before I retire.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Re: 2017/18 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread [JGell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JGell wrote:
Treadmill should be in!

My grievance.....can't you guys even read what has already been covered on this stupid thread?
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Nov 29, 17 20:58
Quote Reply
Re: 2017/18 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
JGell wrote:
Treadmill should be in!

My grievance.....can't t you guys even read what has already been covered on this stupid thread?

Newbies with less than 1,000 posts should be decremented accordingly

Quote Reply
Re: 2017/18 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My only grievance is that with an injured shoulder limiting my biking and denying swimming, I have no excuse not to do this challenge. Damn.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
can i wear my vaporfly 4% and if so does the run have to be 30x1.04 min long to count?
Quote Reply

Prev Next