Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Any issues changing 10 speed bike into 11 speed?
Quote | Reply
Besides buying properly adapting 11 speed cassette and changing drivetrain, shifters etc is there any issues you guys/gals have encountered?
Quote Reply
Re: Any issues changing 10 speed bike into 11 speed? [ErickBar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just finished converting my 2012 Cervelo S5 from 10 speed to 11 speed. Pretty easy, but with the latest firmware, Shimano forces you to change both front and rear derailleurs and left and right shifters. It should have just been the rear derailleur as there really is no difference in the shifters or front derailleur that I can see.

In my case with the old external battery, I had to do a firmware update so I brought the battery holder (and battery) to my lbs and the guy did it for free since I was having the wheel trued anyway. The older 10 speed had a different junction block that doesn't allow for FW updates. I was able to do most of the updates by connecting everything to my newer 11 speed bike, but the battery holder (for some reason) can't be updated that way.

I got most of my info from: http://carltonbale.com/...ng-you-need-to-know/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The only possible issue I can think of is the wheels. Most today are 10/11 compatible however, some 10 speed wheels (and 9/10 speed) can not be used on 11 speed. The 7850 Dura Ace series is one that comes to mind. Just be sure your wheels are compatible with an 11 speed drivetrain.

Having said that, there is nothing wrong with 10-speed. I am still on 7900 and it just functions beautifully.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check your wheels and freehub. Most 10sp freehubs can't support 11sp.

If you have a hub with a replaceable freehub, you can order the 11sp body most likely, or if your wheel is newer than ~ 5 years it may be an 11sp with a little spacer ( 1.2mm it think?) already. If you can't replace the hubshell/freehub you would likely need new wheels to support 11sp.

" I take my gear out of my car and put my bike together. Tourists and locals are watching from sidewalk cafes. Non-racers. The emptiness of of their lives shocks me. "
(opening lines from Tim Krabbe's The Rider , 1978
Quote Reply
Re: Any issues changing 10 speed bike into 11 speed? [NealH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good point about the wheels. Fortunately I have been using Mavic wheels that all support 11 speed as well as 10 speed (using spacers).

Also, I do agree that 10 speed is plenty good enough. In my case, I wanted all my bikes to have 11 speed so I can swap out wheels. I had 2 11 speed bikes and 1 10 speed. Now all 3 are 11 speed.

That said, I'm looking for a cheap frame that is Di2 ready so I can put all my 10 speed stuff on ;).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it's done right: no issues.

If it's done wrong: plenty of issues from subtle to show stopping.
Quote Reply
Re: Any issues changing 10 speed bike into 11 speed? [TriDevilDog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriDevilDog wrote:
If you have a hub with a replaceable freehub, you can order the 11sp body most likely, or if your wheel is newer than ~ 5 years it may be an 11sp with a little spacer ( 1.2mm it think?) already. If you can't replace the hubshell/freehub you would likely need new wheels to support 11sp.

And, if you can replace the freehub with an 11sp, remember you'll also need to redish the wheel because of the additional length of the 11sp freehub. I did this with a set of American Classics when I finally moved to 11sp on one of my bikes this spring.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi guys,

I modify 11 s cassettes so they fit and work perfectly on 10 speed hubs. Been doing this for 2 years now. Works great, no reliability issues, and so far 100% satisfaction from clients.
Send me message for more info and go see me review on darkspeedworks (company blog).

Thanks and hope to hear from you

Hugo
Quote Reply
Re: Any issues changing 10 speed bike into 11 speed? [karlw2000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
karlw2000 wrote:
Pretty easy, but with the latest firmware../quote]
Every cycling purist everywhere just threw up in their mouth.
Quote Reply
Re: Any issues changing 10 speed bike into 11 speed? [TriDevilDog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I came across a cassette made in the UK which is 11 speed but can be mounted on a 10 speed wheel hub without modification:

http://www.edco-wheels.co.uk/...monoblock-cassettes/
Quote Reply
Re: Any issues changing 10 speed bike into 11 speed? [Vman455] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vman455 wrote:
TriDevilDog wrote:

And, if you can replace the freehub with an 11sp, remember you'll also need to redish the wheel because of the additional length of the 11sp freehub. I did this with a set of American Classics when I finally moved to 11sp on one of my bikes this spring.

I thought that was on Zipp conversions and not every other wheel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I found that on my frame, 2012 Felt B12, the braze on front derailleur hanger has interference with the inner cage. Makes for adjusting the inner limits for the small-big combo a bit difficult to impossible actually. I was only able to avoid this by using those Rotor derailleur shims that come with qxl rings to move it out of the way.

The OEM on this bike was Shimano 7900 derailleurs. The change in design of cable pull arm and shape of the cage is pretty drastic. If you look at them side by side you'll see that the location of the braze on mounting bolt face on the 11 speed is much farther away from the edge of the cage. That is the cause for the interference I'm experiencing.

Last edited by: loxx0050: Jan 13, 18 10:55
Quote Reply