Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Bike Fit: Unusually tall stack... now what? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
stevej wrote:
I only see 9 fitters who have a portfolio listed unless I am missing something. Jim Manton doesn't have a portfolio and neither does Dave Luscan. Both do excellent fits.

i predict at some point these two excellent fitters will have published portfolios. here are some of my fits, done at slowtwitch road shows. look at the position of the fellow who started this thread. ask yourself if it's likely he'd have ended up with his fit if i was his fitter. further, after he saw these videos, prior to seeing me, don't you think he'd have as a reasonable expectation that his fit would look like these others?

don't you think that's a reasonable standard for bike fitters to adhere to? otherwise, as you and others rightly put it, how do you know in advance of paying your money what it is you're buying?

Maybe fitters should be prepared (and clients should feel free to ask) to provide prospective clients examples of their fits for similar individuals. For example, a 50 year old woman may see some of these fits of 30 year old super skinny super fast guys and think this fitter is not applicable to me. I think that sort of client would really like it if the fitter could show some examples of people they have fit that are similar to this client, that could be valuable and a social media link does not do a great job of this. Maybe the next time you update your "What to Look for in a Fitter" guide, you should add don't be afraid to ask for examples of fits for clients similar to yourself. And fitters should advertise "I have fits lots of different athletes, probably someone that looks a lot like you, feel free to ask for examples!"

I know that a good fitter is a good fitter and that there is nothing fundamentally different between fitting men and women, between fast and slow, etc, but I don't know if everyone knows/believes that. It is kinda cool to think that this is a sport where for not a crazy amount of money, you can have the same service done by the same person that does that service for people at the top of the sport.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Fit: Unusually tall stack... now what? [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:
Slowman wrote:
stevej wrote:
I only see 9 fitters who have a portfolio listed unless I am missing something. Jim Manton doesn't have a portfolio and neither does Dave Luscan. Both do excellent fits.

i predict at some point these two excellent fitters will have published portfolios. here are some of my fits, done at slowtwitch road shows. look at the position of the fellow who started this thread. ask yourself if it's likely he'd have ended up with his fit if i was his fitter. further, after he saw these videos, prior to seeing me, don't you think he'd have as a reasonable expectation that his fit would look like these others?

don't you think that's a reasonable standard for bike fitters to adhere to? otherwise, as you and others rightly put it, how do you know in advance of paying your money what it is you're buying?

Maybe fitters should be prepared (and clients should feel free to ask) to provide prospective clients examples of their fits for similar individuals. For example, a 50 year old woman may see some of these fits of 30 year old super skinny super fast guys and think this fitter is not applicable to me. I think that sort of client would really like it if the fitter could show some examples of people they have fit that are similar to this client,

i agree. did you look at that link i produced that you quoted? i don't think you'll see a bunch of 30 year old super skinny super fast guys. in fact, i have those super skinny fast guy videos and i specifically left them off, as they are really not representative of most folks.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Fit: Unusually tall stack... now what? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
From what I have read, most fitters do not have the tools to deal with different crank lengths.

Where are you reading this? Every dynamic fit bike that I've seen has adjustable cranks. Even the Serotta Size Cycle I was using back in the '90s was fitted with adjustable cranks. Maybe you're thinking of the "fitters" whose tools consist only of your bike and a trainer...

"I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10, and I don't know why!"
Last edited by: Warbird: Nov 28, 17 12:07
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Fit: Unusually tall stack... now what? [trentnix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trentnix wrote:
MattyK wrote:
If that isn't terrible, can you give an example of a fit that is?
Challenge accepted!

Is he actually sitting on the saddle or pushing himself all the way up out of the saddle for whatever reason and is it that just visible little piece sticking out midway back of his thigh the back end of the saddle? Not that it changes the quality of the fit, but was seriously wondering how he would have looked cycling if that was his actual saddle height.

Jeroen

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Fit: Unusually tall stack... now what? [tri-run] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's mid-pedal stroke. We don't do any static photos - we just capture the frame at the bottom of the pedal stroke.

Trent Nix
Owned and operated Tri Shop
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter (back when those were things)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trentnix wrote:
That's mid-pedal stroke. We don't do any static photos - we just capture the frame at the bottom of the pedal stroke.

Yeh, this is what i wondered. The back wheel is spinning, but that is also the case if someone stops pedalling and he just liftee from the toes up out of the saddle. But if he sits on the saddle it must have worked like a contraceptive for him ;-).

Quote Reply
Re: Bike Fit: Unusually tall stack... now what? [tri-run] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's hard to have saddle pain when you can't feel anything at all!

Trent Nix
Owned and operated Tri Shop
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter (back when those were things)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trentnix wrote:
It's hard to have saddle pain when you can't feel anything at all!

Hahaha that is true

Jeroen

Quote Reply
Re: Bike Fit: Unusually tall stack... now what? [MattyK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MattyK wrote:
trentnix wrote:

Fact of the matter is, that fit isn't terrible based on what I see day-in, day-out. It just isn't very good.

Quote Reply
Re: Bike Fit: Unusually tall stack... now what? [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
MattyK wrote:
trentnix wrote:

Fact of the matter is, that fit isn't terrible based on what I see day-in, day-out. It just isn't very good.

Well, to be fair: maybe he borrowed the bike.

;-)

Citizen of the world, former drunkard. Resident Traumatic Brain Injury advocate.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Fit: Unusually tall stack... now what? [MattyK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MattyK wrote:
BrickMick wrote:
I am 6-2 with 35.8" crotch. What am I?

A horse?

Thx for your helpful comment MattyK
Last edited by: BrickMick: Nov 28, 17 21:59
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Fit: Unusually tall stack... now what? [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you cyclenutz!
Great data. Very helpful.

cyclenutnz wrote:
BrickMick wrote:

Anybody care to share some wisdom? What is the normal leg/torso ratio?
I am 6-2 with 35.8" crotch. What am I?

You are nearly perfectly average
For someone your height

Peoples legs get longer as they get taller (presumably you only need so much space for organs)
Note that the trendlines make it look like Women have longer legs at the same height - the suppressed zeroes on the graph are magnifying a tiny difference. The in-gender variation is much larger than the between gender variation so it's worthless to make any generalisations about differences between genders.
Last edited by: BrickMick: Nov 28, 17 22:00
Quote Reply

Prev Next