Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: How I'll use the TriRig Alpha One [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would have understood the point of this if it was possible to tuck the Monopost thing supporting the pads into the head tube ala P5X. But it is not unless you are riding an Omni - so how do people feel about having that thing just hanging in there a few inches in front of the headtube? Wasn't that always a knock on the aero bottle - specifically by you Jim?

Not to mention that this looks pretty flexy when full extended..

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: How I'll use the TriRig Alpha One [doublea334] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
doublea334 wrote:
Yeah, but in the AG2R/Factor's defense, they said they used the wrong size boltS. Plural, bolts. So they messed up multiple bolts.

The TriRig One only needs a single bolt and the length of the bolt never changes. This is pretty clear science.

What? Everything you just said reinforces what I was suggesting as being the basis of my fear.
Quote Reply
Re: How I'll use the TriRig Alpha One [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My Internet sarcasm does not type well. Just assume everything I post is sarcastic or trolling.

So yeah, I have the same uncertainties regarding the clamping support.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: How I'll use the TriRig Alpha One [TriRig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriRig wrote:
Yes we tested the post wedge, back during the metal prototyping phase, and are working to ensure the carbon version performs the same as the metal prototypes. It’s not functionally different in mechanism from seatposts you see on MANY bikes. And actually does one better because the force goes directly perpendicular to the post’s telescope axis (seatposts wedges have to be slightly off-perpendicular due to the geometry there, which saps them of a little force).

To be fair those seat posts have been known to slip.

That in combination with torque on the post from pulling on the bars & the recently posted bar-failure video does make me nervous.

Gonna need some testing.
Quote Reply
Re: How I'll use the TriRig Alpha One [SteveM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SteveM wrote:
To be fair those seat posts have been known to slip.

I'm super annoyed at my Cervelo S5 seatpost wedge. Tried making it super clean. Tried carbon paste. Tried light grease (as suggested by a mechanic). Always torque it to spec with a calibrated wrench.

Mofo still slips when I least want it to. And I'm not super heavy ~78kg.
Quote Reply
Re: How I'll use the TriRig Alpha One [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alex_korr wrote:
I would have understood the point of this if it was possible to tuck the Monopost thing supporting the pads into the head tube ala P5X. But it is not unless you are riding an Omni - so how do people feel about having that thing just hanging in there a few inches in front of the headtube? Wasn't that always a knock on the aero bottle - specifically by you Jim?

Not to mention that this looks pretty flexy when full extended..

The only way to know is to test. Drop it, test it, cut it, test it again, answer.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Problem with cutting the monopost is that It's going to kill the resale value of this thing - the stack that works for me might be too low for another person. With Alpha X it's just the matter of adding/removing pedestal pieces. Here it is kind of a permanent decision.

Last edited by: alex_korr: Nov 22, 17 16:23
Quote Reply
Re: How I'll use the TriRig Alpha One [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Replacement posts will be available as a separate part. Cost tbd.

--
TriRig.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriRig wrote:
Replacement posts will be available as a separate part. Cost tbd.

Perfect. That part had me worried. I can slam it and cut it and not have to worry about getting another post if I want to raise it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If the cost of the replacement post is reasonable from the market perspective, then this will work.

Last edited by: alex_korr: Nov 22, 17 21:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
doublea334 wrote:
Yeah, but in the AG2R/Factor's defense, they said they used the wrong size boltS. Plural, bolts. So they messed up multiple bolts.

The TriRig One only needs a single bolt and the length of the bolt never changes. This is pretty clear science.

What? Everything you just said reinforces what I was suggesting as being the basis of my fear.

I mentioned this on the other thread but my equal or greater fear is the two bolt tilt attachment which carries most of the weight on top of the mast.

IE insert failure a la arduro high V.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: How I'll use the TriRig Alpha One [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mauricemaher wrote:
jkhayc wrote:
doublea334 wrote:

I mentioned this on the other thread but my equal or greater fear is the two bolt tilt attachment which carries most of the weight on top of the mast.

Maurice

Looks similar to Trek's attachment point to the mono-spacer and I've never seen one of those fail.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure you get the implication of what I (and maybe others) are trying to say:

I am confident in TREK's engineering and QC department. I am confident in CERVELO's, SPECIALIZED, etc. They've earned that trust. So when I see a bolt on their bikes/products, I trust that it's the right one.

Has TriRig earned that trust from its customers? No, it simply has not.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jim@EROsports wrote:
mauricemaher wrote:
jkhayc wrote:
doublea334 wrote:

Maurice

Looks similar to Trek's attachment point to the mono-spacer and I've never seen one of those fail.

Aren’t those aluminum?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I get it, though I would certainly not include Specialized in that list. Let's not forget their aero bar debacle, and the middle finger replacement they provided to their customers.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yea, my metaphor isn't perfect. But you know what I mean, looks like.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jim@EROsports wrote:
doublea334 wrote:
I thought I recall Grill make a comment on these forums that his position tested differently on different frames. Something about his old Plasma position replicated on his P5 tested differently.

What do you think? Or would the ability to test so many positions so quickly 'probably' be an ideal position for whatever bike the tester is on?

Yeah, I don't foresee that being an issue. If you want to tease out those numbers, you'd need multiple tests on multiple frames making sure everything is replicated to the millimeter. Those clients are basically non-existent, and even then it would be a mostly Quixotic endeavor.

I managed to test 4 different stack heights, plus multiple other changes in a 2 hours paired session on the Plasma 3 TT (PRO Missile Evo bars), and even more on the P5. It's actually really simple if you plan and you're prepared, and it boggles the mind why anyone spending the time and money aero testing wouldn't plan out how to make quick changes ahead of time.

The delta in CdA between the same frame in different sizes can be sizeable, and as I've said before what's fastest on one won't necessarily translate to another. Perhaps for those ecstatic about achieving <.250m^2 it won't make a big difference, but those who are serious about aero shouldn't, and hopefully won't, settle.
Quote Reply
Re: How I'll use the TriRig Alpha One [Grill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Was it cabled? That's a well-planned test, for sure.

The overwhelming number of clients we have will not have multiple-sizes in frames, but I would never insult them saying they're not serious about aero. Your position wasn't more aero on different size frames, one setup was more aero than another. There's a big difference. The position is the position; your personal drag area, if your set ups were absolutely identical, didn't change. The setup on how you achieved that position on different size frames is what mattered. How your body interacted with the frame might/will change, but your drag area will not. I'm only looking for the fastest position. It's up to the athlete to choose/purchase the right equipment once it's known.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Removed the rear brake cable, and unplugged the shifters, super easy. On the P5 I just used an adjustable stem.

When I say aero, I mean the whole package, as it's the interaction between all elements that matters. Obviously the interaction between position and frame is what's important, and changes when either of those variables change. Look at other this way, if position B on bike A was the gave the lowest CdA of positions A, B, and C, but when testing position B on bike B your CdA came out higher, would you think to retest positions A and C? And if you did and found position C to now be fastest, what conclusions would you draw?

My 'fastest position' changed based on my equipment choice, so how would testing on kit I have no intention of using be of use?

Not saying that it might not be helpful for some, but I if you're looking to spend money to make things easier for your clients then a good selection of helmets is far more useful.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[/quote] We first produced solid metal prototypes as a proof of concept back in the early months of this year. These were solid and tested very well. So we proceeded to open the carbon molds several months ago. Those molds are finished and the first pulls have come out. I will post pictures in the next few days. We are finalizing layup and doing fatigue testing right now.

Yes we tested the post wedge, back during the metal prototyping phase, and are working to ensure the carbon version performs the same as the metal prototypes. It’s not functionally different in mechanism from seatposts you see on MANY bikes. And actually does one better because the force goes directly perpendicular to the post’s telescope axis (seatposts wedges have to be slightly off-perpendicular due to the geometry there, which saps them of a little force).[/quote]

that monopost just reminds me of a typical seatpost you find on a gym bike: one knob to turn and lift the seat higher or lower. this might be great for a bike fitter using it on a jig or aero testing but i'd be reluctant to use this out on the road until fully tested.

in essence Tririg are using a seatpost clamp on the front of the bike, despite there being known issues with certain seatposts slipping.

and it looks like Tririg are happy to take customers money now, with a delivery date in March, not having fully tested a final version of this product: isn't that what they did with the omni?

good luck to anyone putting their money down now.

i'd probably have a different view if this was a 3T or Profile Design product.
Last edited by: moonmonkey02: Nov 23, 17 1:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jim@EROsports wrote:

The overwhelming number of clients we have will not have multiple-sizes in frames, but I would never insult them saying they're not serious about aero. Your position wasn't more aero on different size frames, one setup was more aero than another. There's a big difference. The position is the position; your personal drag area, if your set ups were absolutely identical, didn't change. The setup on how you achieved that position on different size frames is what mattered. How your body interacted with the frame might/will change, but your drag area will not. I'm only looking for the fastest position. It's up to the athlete to choose/purchase the right equipment once it's known.

I can't tell you how many clients come see me only to realize they're on too small of a bike, or worse too small of a narrow/tall bike when they need a bigger long and low. It's probably the number one issue I run up against.

I'm planning some testing with multiple frames and intended to use my old short cable trick on the rear derailleur unless I swap over my eTap in a 1x situation like you've been talking about. Not a TriRig One situation on both frames though... testing against a P5.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Nick,

I highly suggest something like Bike Ahead’s NSA coating to prevent the post from slipping.

https://www.bikerumor.com/...-wins-award-for-nsa/

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Quote Reply
Re: How I'll use the TriRig Alpha One [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have it on order, and am excited to try it out. I have been pleased with what I have purchased from them already, and have not heard of issues with other components they have manufactured. (the ability to purchase an extra monopost answered one of the questions i had, since I will be cutting mine.....they are going to put out a FAQ soon with some of the questions and concerns that have been raised...which hopefully addresses cable routing from the extensions...and the ability to hide them).

They teased this product in April 2017....and are not shipping it until March 2018.

The amount of negativity and skepticism on ST never ceases to amaze me. I imagine the 11+ months includes some testing for safety.....I can't imagine their goal is to ship a product that is dangerous and have subsequent liability from injury.

The more companies we have creating unique products for our sport, the better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
I'm not sure you get the implication of what I (and maybe others) are trying to say:

I am confident in TREK's engineering and QC department. I am confident in CERVELO's, SPECIALIZED, etc. They've earned that trust. So when I see a bolt on their bikes/products, I trust that it's the right one.

Has TriRig earned that trust from its customers? No, it simply has not.

I would argue it has - how many people use Tririg brakes? Not at item you would want to fail. Lots also using previous bars and stem seemingly with little or no issue.
Quote Reply
Re: How I'll use the TriRig Alpha One [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
milesthedog wrote:
Hi Nick,

I highly suggest something like Bike Ahead’s NSA coating to prevent the post from slipping.

https://www.bikerumor.com/...-wins-award-for-nsa/

I’d like to 2nd this. My biggest concern about this bar is the post suddenly slipping.

One more thing if you’re reading this, Nick: make the grips on the basebar a bit long like what Profile Design did with the Aeria Ultimate. My hands never fit properly on the Alpha X.
Quote Reply

Prev Next