Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Best rain shell/jacket for running?
Quote | Reply
Somehow I've managed to live in the PNW for 11 years and never actually owned a rain shell that I can use for running. Does anyone have one they love? Preference is for something lightweight and easily packable in a hydration pack for when not needed - can layer up and down underneath as needed. Thanks!

http://smallfoodbiz.com
</blatent self-marketing>
Quote Reply
Re: Best rain shell/jacket for running? [lilpups] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First of all, how is that even possible? ;-P

I have a Pearl Izumi one that is my go-to. I've had it for a while, so I can't remember the exact model, but it's very similar to this one. The zip-off sleeves are a very helpful feature for variable temps (or you can throw the sleeves in your bag/pocket and add them when it starts pouring on you mid-way through a long run – ask me how I know!) Since you are in Seattle, I'd cruise into Oiselle's store in U-Village. I have been very impressed with their stuff and I bet they'd make a great rainshell. (I have a lightweight rain vest that I got at a sample sale that is really great.)

------------------------------------------------------------
The beatings will continue until morale improves
Quote Reply
Re: Best rain shell/jacket for running? [mdraegerpnw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had an Outdoor Research Helium 2 jacket that was superlight weight, probably lasted 2-3 years before it started wetting out. packs up pretty small into its own pocket.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Brooks LSD jacket might well fit the bill. I have an older model that just packs into its own pocket and has a clip - very small, soft and lightweight. I've worn it for a 6-hour race in mixed rain/snow before and in hours of freezing rain. Never used the hood as I always wear a hat, but it packs away nicely in the collar.

I've never had a chance to even try one on, but I know a ton of ultrarunners and fastpackers swear by the Patagonia Houdini.

Quote | Reply
I have the Patagonia Houdini -- it's water repellent not waterproof but works great for me on rainy days.

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply
Re: Best rain shell/jacket for running? [SoCalTricurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks - I'll check out both the Brooks and the Patagonia. Appreciate it!!

http://smallfoodbiz.com
</blatent self-marketing>
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm obsessed with my Saucony shell it's perfect for an outer protective layer to turn anything waterproof but it can also bunch up to fit in my pocket! It's amazing.
Quote Reply