Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ferry Boats... Ever had the urge to jump?
Quote | Reply
If I had my wetsuit I might have. Friday afternoon's ferry we were doing a doz circles in the water until the sun went down. A BC Ferry boat doesn't turn well. They announced on the PA, "We are searching for an "object in the water." There were aircraft etc. that is true. I had some fun with the news article....

Search Comes up Empty after Ferry Passenger Reports Seeing Hand Gripping a Pull-buoy

A large search was underway in the Strait of Georgia after a B.C. Ferries passenger thought they spotted a hand gripping a pull-buoy in the water on Friday afternoon.

The Queen of Oak Bay was about midway through the 3 p.m. sailing to Departure Bay from Horseshoe Bay when a passenger told staff they had seen a hand holding onto a pull-buoy among some kelp, said Dylan Carter, a maritime search-and-rescue co-ordinator with the Victoria Joint Rescue Co-ordination Centre.
Ferry crew deployed life rings and searched the waters.

A Canadian Coast Guard hovercraft from Sea Island also responded, along with Royal Canadian Marine Search and Rescue members from Nanaimo and a Cormorant helicopter from CFB Comox.
The ferry continued on its way about 6 p.m., after a 90-minute delay.

“We don’t really know how much credence to give that initial report,” Carter said. “We doubt that there'd be a triathlete out there training at this time of year" Carter added.

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Last edited by: SharkFM: Nov 14, 17 18:30
Quote Reply
Re: Ferry Boats... Ever had the urge to jump? [SharkFM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SharkFM wrote:
If I had my wetsuit I might have. Friday afternoon's ferry we were doing a doz circles in the water until the sun went down. A BC Ferry boat doesn't turn well. They announced on the PA, "We are searching for an "object in the water." There were aircraft etc. that is true. I had some fun with the news article....

Search Comes up Empty after Ferry Passenger Reports Seeing Hand Gripping a Pull-buoy

A large search was underway in the Strait of Georgia after a B.C. Ferries passenger thought they spotted a hand gripping a pull-buoy in the water on Friday afternoon.

The Queen of Oak Bay was about midway through the 3 p.m. sailing to Departure Bay from Horseshoe Bay when a passenger told staff they had seen a hand holding onto a pull-buoy among some kelp, said Dylan Carter, a maritime search-and-rescue co-ordinator with the Victoria Joint Rescue Co-ordination Centre.
Ferry crew deployed life rings and searched the waters.

A Canadian Coast Guard hovercraft from Sea Island also responded, along with Royal Canadian Marine Search and Rescue members from Nanaimo and a Cormorant helicopter from CFB Comox.
The ferry continued on its way about 6 p.m., after a 90-minute delay.

“We don’t really know how much credence to give that initial report,” Carter said. “We doubt that there'd be a triathlete out there training at this time of year" Carter added.

The passenger was probably a Triathlete.

But man, you guys are gullible up there.

Down here nobody would blink an eye, maybe they'd inform Coast Guard.
And the Guard would circle around a couple times and then just wait until the body floats ashore.

Last edited by: windschatten: Nov 14, 17 21:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
someone was probably using an old pullbuoy for a crab trap marker.
then hand thing is kind of weird. how would they only see a hand gripping a pullbuoy?...no arm no flailing. what a waste of evryones time and resources.

Now I did jump off the back of a ferry at Norseman. It was at a stop.
Last edited by: rhayden: Nov 14, 17 22:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is what happens when you on ferry and the "We are sorry" nxtri email comes through
Quote Reply
Re: Ferry Boats... Ever had the urge to jump? [rhayden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rhayden wrote:
someone was probably using an old pullbuoy for a crab trap marker.
then hand thing is kind of weird. how would they only see a hand gripping a pullbuoy?...no arm no flailing. what a waste of evryones time and resources.

SwimRun B.C.?
Quote Reply
Re: Ferry Boats... Ever had the urge to jump? [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I called BC Ferries to complain and ask for a refund. I burned up an ALT ride (twice the fare) to meet my wife and son after their swim practice.

The ferry was jam packed so I said "how about 2 people see this before you divert?"

The cost was over 4000 man hours of time if you consider those waiting on shore. It's huge.

Another episode for the egregious stupidity file.

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SharkFM wrote:
I called BC Ferries to complain and ask for a refund. I burned up an ALT ride (twice the fare) to meet my wife and son after their swim practice.

The ferry was jam packed so I said "how about 2 people see this before you divert?"

The cost was over 4000 man hours of time if you consider those waiting on shore. It's huge.

Another episode for the egregious stupidity file.

Did they give you the refund?

I sat on a ferry going from Saltspring to tswassen for an hour while we watched a motor boat stuck on some rocks.
Another time the ferry was delayed due to a 'medical emergency on board'....you would think that would speed it up no slow it down!

The ferries are actually not that bad. I believe they have a mandate to be a rescue vessel and respond to emergency calls.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've jumped off a ferry in San Francisco Bay about a dozen times. But, that was a bit different. No pull buoy involved.
Quote Reply
Re: Ferry Boats... Ever had the urge to jump? [Rumpled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I thought this was going to be about Alcatraz or Escape the Cape [DE]

http://delmosports.com/...rseys-best-triathlon

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Ferry Boats... Ever had the urge to jump? [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
Yeah, I thought this was going to be about Alcatraz or Escape the Cape [DE]

http://delmosports.com/...rseys-best-triathlon

I still remember thinking, on the way down, "why haven't I hit the water yet?"

Higher than you might think...until you are on the edge looking down!

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A couple of weeks ago a woman jumped off a BC Ferry into the Georgia Strait.
She was rescued after FIVE HOURS, and apparently lived.
Was probably a suicide attempt.
So, while we think BC Ferries might be ridiculous here... people probably go overboard more often than we think.

Bizarre part of the story... it was my neighbours ex-wife! She had a few mental issues...
Quote Reply