Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anything cool to do in norfolk, va?
Quote | Reply
Headed there in a couple weeks. Will probably rent a car to drive to dc for a day or two also.

Obviously tons to do there i know, but anything new in the past few years?

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Re: Anything cool to do in norfolk, va? [veganerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you here a banjo, RUN!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bring your tiki torch. Never know there might be a night time parade that would be fun to join.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chrysler Museum of Art

Nauticus - specifically take a tour of the USS Wisconsin

Take a boat tour of the Naval Base - largest naval base in the world. A very cool experience to see carriers and subs.

Waterside District - basically a huge bar on the water with great food vendors.

Stroll down Granby Street in downtown for shopping and food (I recommend Field Guide)

Stroll down Colley Avenue in Ghent - eat at No Frill Grill and see a movie at the NARO.

Botanical Gardens

Ignore idiotic comments from previous posters.

Freedom just around the corner for you. But with the truth so far off, what good will it do?
Quote Reply
Re: Anything cool to do in norfolk, va? [jepvb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jepvb wrote:
Chrysler Museum of Art

Take a boat tour of the Naval Base - largest naval base in the world. A very cool experience to see carriers and subs.

Stroll down Granby Street in downtown for shopping and food (I recommend Field Guide)

Stroll down Colley Avenue in Ghent - eat at No Frill Grill and see a movie at the NARO.

Botanical Gardens

I was stationed in and lived in the Norfolk area at various times (mostly lived in either Chesapeake and Va Beach, and one of my undergrad degrees is from Old Dominion University :-). I second all your recommendations. .

I thought that with the exception of the northern Virginia D.C. beltway counties Norfolk and the wider Tidewater area was about as far removed from the idea of Virginia as the "South" as one could get. And the town had several excellent rock-and-roll and "college rock" stations back in the day. One of them had a morning radio personality named Henry "The Bull" Del Toro. Never wanted to miss that show. Good times, man. ;-)

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: Anything cool to do in norfolk, va? [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
jepvb wrote:
Chrysler Museum of Art

Botanical Gardens

I was stationed in and lived in the Norfolk area at various times (mostly lived in either Chesapeake and Va Beach, and one of my undergrad degrees is from Old Dominion University :-). I second all your recommendations. .

I thought that with the exception of the northern Virginia D.C. beltway counties Norfolk and the wider Tidewater area was about as far removed from the idea of Virginia as the "South" as one could get. And the town had several excellent rock-and-roll and "college rock" stations back in the day. One of them had a morning radio personality named Henry "The Bull" Del Toro. Never wanted to miss that show. Good times, man. ;-)

FM 99 Rocks! I grew up listening to the Bull. Those were good times.

Norfolk and Virginia Beach are Navy towns - transient by nature. Both are working class cities with lots of diversity (Norfolk has a large African American population, Virginia Beach has a large Filipino and Asian community). Not the traditional "south" at all. You can drive south to rural VB or Suffolk and you will quickly feel like you are in Alabama, not that there is anything wrong with that. I love the mixed bag of cultures that this area offers.

I live at the oceanfront now. If it were summer, I would recommend to the OP a trip to the boardwalk. Depending on the weather, it may still be a good option.

Freedom just around the corner for you. But with the truth so far off, what good will it do?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Been to that area several times (Hampton Roads, actually). Honestly, near Norfolk/Hampton/Newport, there's not that much to do on land. Nearby you have places like Williamsburg. Now if you want donuts, I know where to go in the area!
Quote Reply
Re: Anything cool to do in norfolk, va? [jepvb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great ideas! Where im staying is apparently within walking distance of all those places except the botanical gardens. Id love to tour a sub, but my son will be envious.

Quote Reply
Re: Anything cool to do in norfolk, va? [tigermilk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tigermilk wrote:
Been to that area several times (Hampton Roads, actually). Honestly, near Norfolk/Hampton/Newport, there's not that much to do on land. Nearby you have places like Williamsburg. Now if you want donuts, I know where to go in the area!

Vegan donuts?!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
veganerd wrote:
Great ideas! Where im staying is apparently within walking distance of all those places except the botanical gardens. Id love to tour a sub, but my son will be envious.

Great - enjoy your stay!

Quote Reply
Re: Anything cool to do in norfolk, va? [tigermilk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tigermilk wrote:

DUCK DONUTS probably not Vegan

Top 10 Vegan Restaurants Norfolk

https://www.yelp.com/...nd_loc=Norfolk%2C+VA

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply