Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Direct Drive Trainers - if power accuracy is most important factor which is safest bet?
Quote | Reply
From all direct drive bike trainers currently in the market, which one would be the safest bet if the most important factor is power accuracy? Need to be really confident in the power numbers of the trainer without requiring to have an external power meter each time to either validate the numbers or to use "power match" function. Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Direct Drive Trainers - if power accuracy is most important factor which is safest bet? [pabloarc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tacx Neo I believe.
Have a look at DC Rainmaker's reviews and comparison tables on his website if you haven't already.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Direct Drive Trainers - if power accuracy is most important factor which is safest bet? [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you, yeah, have already reviewed that, good stuff.

I'm interested in knowing about actual user experiences as well.
There have been some cases where a specific review of the product is really good, but then in other units of the same brand/model users are experiencing issues. So I guess, quality have not been consistent for some brand/models.

But I agree, based on what I have read about, seems it would be the Tacx Neo, however the most expensive as well.

Elite Direto seems to be really good in regards to power accuracy, but issue is that it has just been released, so not many actual user experiences.
Quote Reply
Re: Direct Drive Trainers - if power accuracy is most important factor which is safest bet? [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power accuracy on those may be great, but I'd still recommend doing some kind of trainer specific "test" as well to do your zones by.

I train on both my bike with a Stages left only on a Cycleops fluid, a full on powertap stationary bike by Cycleops, and on the road with the meter.

All three are VERY consistent day to day, within it's own "realm" or equipment setup. But.........the difference between the Cycleops stationary with powertap and the Stages on the Cycleops fluid is easily about 10%.

Yeah, the fan in the gym with the stationary is about 10x bigger, but still.

I'd just do another 2x 8min test for the zones indoors instead of trying to match 100% the power numbers.
Quote Reply
Re: Direct Drive Trainers - if power accuracy is most important factor which is safest bet? [pabloarc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My Wahoo Kickr typically reads 2-3% lower than my Quarq. Not sure which is closer to the true wattage given that I do not have a third power meter for comparison. It's close enough for my purposes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tacx Neo claims to be the most accurate, and just as significantly is one of the few (only?) that doesn't require calibration. I validated it against my PM (Garmin Vector) for a few weeks when I first got it, and they were within 1-2 watts of each other moment to moment, and dead on in AP and NP at the end of a workout.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pabloarc wrote:
From all direct drive bike trainers currently in the market, which one would be the safest bet if the most important factor is power accuracy? Need to be really confident in the power numbers of the trainer without requiring to have an external power meter each time to either validate the numbers or to use "power match" function. Thanks

The Elite Drivo and Direto have also been found to be very accurate. In the top end group of trainers the Direto is a steal for the price.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Neo is probably the most accurate. BUT, there are definitely questions about the Neo's durability and quality control during manufacturing. If you plan to do a lot of indoor training on the thing, be prepared for the Neo to possibly have issues a year down the road.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a NEO, and the accuracy is spot on. I appreciate not having to calibrate the trainer, which seemed to consume a lot of time when I had a Kickr.

I haven't heard of, or experienced any reliability issues. There should be less issues since it has much fewer moving parts than something like the Kickr i.e. no belts to wear out.
Quote Reply