Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Superfrog got cheaper
Quote | Reply
I see they reduced the general entry to $325. Good to see this compared to the $500 entry fee we've seen in the past.
Quote Reply
Re: Superfrog got cheaper [T3_Beer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wow, didn't realize it was that much before! Makes more sense and puts in in line with other IM races here in California.

Have you raced it before? Thoughts on the beach parts? My on hesitation to sign up for it, I don't like sand in my shoes!
Quote Reply
Re: Superfrog got cheaper [spectrum5825] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't raced it, mainly due to the $500 entry fee. It's tempting at this price, although I'm sure it will be a tough day out there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's that or santa cruz for me, which is drivable. But any excuse to get down to San Diego is good enough for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
spectrum5825 wrote:
wow, didn't realize it was that much before! Makes more sense and puts in in line with other IM races here in California.

Have you raced it before? Thoughts on the beach parts? My on hesitation to sign up for it, I don't like sand in my shoes!

A lot of people remove their shoes on the sand

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
spectrum5825 wrote:
It's that or santa cruz for me, which is drivable. But any excuse to get down to San Diego is good enough for me.

I did Santa Cruz this year, it was an awesome race. Would have been better if the swim wasn't shortened due to fog, but there was nothing anybody could do about that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For sure it was my first 70.3 in 2016. Great race, but that water is damn cold!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe it was a mandatory donation to the military. I will race this at a normal fee.
Quote Reply
Re: Superfrog got cheaper [Sbernardi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sbernardi wrote:
I believe it was a mandatory donation to the military. I will race this at a normal fee.

It was not a mandatory donation to the military. $35 of every entry goes to the Ironman Foundation, which after it takes its administrative cut, some fraction gets sent to the Navy SEAL Foundation. There are also some permitting costs for running parts of the race on military property, but nothing more than normal permitting costs. Don't try to pin the $350-$500 on "the military." That's pure Ironman/WTC.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
325$ I may race it now!

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: Superfrog got cheaper [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I never “blamed” the military. I stated a fact.

200.00 of the entry fee will be a tax deductible donation to the IRONMAN Foundation, a U.S. registered 501 (c) (3) organization. The donation portion of this entry will be used to support military and local charities including The Navy Seal Foundation, The Optimist Club of Coronado and the Islander Sports Foundation. Athletes will receive their tax deductible receipt at as part of their registration receipt." Originally from: http://www.ironman.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sbernardi wrote:
I never “blamed” the military. I stated a fact.

It's not a donation to "the military", but to the Ironman Foundation.

You're right about the $200 tack-on, thugh.
Quote Reply
Re: Superfrog got cheaper [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yea. I should have found that first. I knew it was donations to military organizations not the us military.
Quote Reply
Re: Superfrog got cheaper [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seriously, people did this? I did it this year and there were 18 sand/asphalt transitions in total (4 per lap + start/finish). Swapping shoes is not an option because you run down the beach on sand and then do a loop on asphalt before running up on sand and doing a different loop on asphalt, repeat 4x.

The majority of the run was on sand, a good amount being deep soft sand. Even the sand along the water was pretty soft and slow (high tide). Just go in knowing you are not going to have a fast run time based on your effort. This is what the race is known for and just the way it is. I think that practicing on soft sand the month before helped me in my race, both technique and conditioning.

I had a great time at this race and recommend it, just don't expect a smokin run split.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does it sell out usually?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sbernardi wrote:
Yea. I should have found that first. I knew it was donations to military organizations not the us military.

Yeah, the IRS manages your donation to the actual US military!
Quote Reply