Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
What Power Numbers Do You Display On Your Head Unit??
Quote | Reply
Finally pulled the trigger on a power meter, just picked up my Vector 3's.

I was just curious what numbers everyone likes to display on their head unit? For me that is an Edge 520. From what I've read here on ST, seems like a few options would be 3-5 sec avg (current power), AP and NP.

I've been training with virtual power on Trainer Road for a couple months now, but besides that, power is new to me. Currently training for my first full iron distance race, where I'll be targeting a percentage of my FTP.

Right now my Edge unit displays Total Ride Time, Avg Speed, Current Speed, Cadence, Distance, & HR. What power numbers should I add to my display?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: What Power Numbers Do You Display On Your Head Unit?? [BTEEZY28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've got a 520. I display 3s avg power, AP and NP. I also display HR, current speed, time of ride and time of day.
Quote Reply
Re: What Power Numbers Do You Display On Your Head Unit?? [BTEEZY28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I display 3s power on my main screen. On my 2nd screen, I have average power. I should probably have NP on the 2nd screen also, but I have not tweaked it in a while.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
During a ride I look at 3s and 30s power. I don't find AP and NP terribly useful during a ride. They cover too long a period of time to be actionable. I also have HR, speed, cadence, distance, time and lap time.
Last edited by: jkatsoudas: Nov 14, 17 12:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Main screen for training:

Power
3 sec power
HR
Speed
Cadence
Ride Time

Racing:

Power
3 sec power
HR
distance or ride time depending on the race (bike races are often time rather than distance based)
If it is a time trial/tri I will add cadence in.
If it is a long race, I will add kilo joules or calories to help keep fueling on track.

I use all the other available screens for a wealth of averages, lap data and other things (I am a data geek) but I try and limit the main screen to just what i need to know often and now. I personally find average power and average NP data to be pretty worthless for real time pacing since once you get some time in, it is hard to move the number without messing up your current pace. So, I just shoot for my target power in the moment and let bygones be bygones. That is why I have no averages on my main screens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have 3 sec power, cadence, ride time and distance. I find speed useless when training with power but it seems a lot like to use it as a measure. Just not sure what it helps with tbh so I keep it simple.
Quote Reply
Re: What Power Numbers Do You Display On Your Head Unit?? [Brett runs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're right, speed is pretty useless but it's still fun to see how fast I'm going when bombing down a steep descent ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: What Power Numbers Do You Display On Your Head Unit?? [Brett runs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brett runs wrote:
I have 3 sec power, cadence, ride time and distance. I find speed useless when training with power but it seems a lot like to use it as a measure. Just not sure what it helps with tbh so I keep it simple.

You need speed so when you're going down a straight descent you can see that you're broke your all time speed record.

https://markmcdermott.substack.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On top of the other ones already mentioned, I like to have Lap Power (5km). Breaks down longer rides into chunks and I find it helpful to pace hillier sections.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use my lap screen as my main screen and I use lap avg power, lap time, lap distance and hr.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
KILOJOULES
ELEVATION
SUNRISE

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The following 6 data are the primary ones I look when I train/race:

3" Power (current)
Lap NP
NP
Lap Time
HR
Cadence

I mainly use 3" Power, Cadence to control my ride.

During training, I would use manual lap instead of auto lap, so I can easily do workout such as 3x 10min @90% FTP.

For my outdoor training/race profile, I would also add current speed just as an FYI.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HR
Cadence
NP
Ride Time

Only those who risk going too far can find out how far they can go...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Brett runs wrote:

The only use for "Speed" is to avoid getting a speeding ticket.
Quote Reply
Re: What Power Numbers Do You Display On Your Head Unit?? [aclawed strandi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aclawed strandi wrote:
I use my lap screen as my main screen and I use lap avg power, lap time, lap distance and hr.

What distance to you break your laps down into?

5-10 miles?
Quote Reply
Re: What Power Numbers Do You Display On Your Head Unit?? [jkatsoudas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
haha yes you're right, although your garmin will also tell you that at the end of the ride, maybe Im a sook when it comes to descending but my garmin is the last thing Im looking at if Im bombing it down a hill ;)
Quote Reply
Re: What Power Numbers Do You Display On Your Head Unit?? [tie3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tie3 wrote:
Brett runs wrote:

The only use for "Speed" is to avoid getting a speeding ticket.

I'm not sure if you meant that in pink, but we have a cop here who strictly enforces the speed limit through the school zones for cyclists. then when we go on the local Facebook groups, the residents are complaining that the cyclists are making it hard to get their precious kids to school ::eye roll::

PS: I'm not advocating for speeding through school zones, just pointing out that the locals are speeding through them and get upset at us for following the rules. plus, they blame us for everything
Last edited by: jazzymusicman: Nov 14, 17 13:31
Quote Reply
Re: What Power Numbers Do You Display On Your Head Unit?? [ddsg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ddsg wrote:
On top of the other ones already mentioned, I like to have Lap Power (5km). Breaks down longer rides into chunks and I find it helpful to pace hillier sections.

This. Or Lap Normalized Power. Hit lap every once in a while and you get a fresh set of numbers to average against. This is because you can be doing 400 watts and that will barely move the needle on your total average of 250 if you've been riding for an hour or more. But if your lap is only 20 minutes long, that 400 watts will make that 20 minute average move big time and send up red flags.

So let's say your target is 250 watts for a race. This 20 or 30 minute lap you hit 249. Next one aim for 251. Next one is 253? Aim for 247 the next. Like the other guy said, it let's you go a bit high for hilly sections and a bit low for easy sections (net downhill or tailwind). Works great.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Last edited by: ZenTriBrett: Nov 14, 17 13:41
Quote Reply
Re: What Power Numbers Do You Display On Your Head Unit?? [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll give you road racing perspective which is different than a lot of the Tri responses;

3s Power
HR
Speed
Cadence
Distance
Calories
Time

Speed becomes a factor in road when it comes to managing the breaks; 1) if you decide to break away, peloton moving at X, once you establish break you need to at least manage X and balance it with power # if you hope to stay away. 2) when you are rolling turns trying to peg the break or reel them back in, matching speed to whomever you are working with is more important than matching power to avoid surging and gaps.

Time is used for crits as most are typically time (75min) + additional # of laps (3 laps). Handy to have if you're not able to see the timing board as you pass the lap counter.

Calories are always good so you can monitor food intake.

Distance is helpful in road as you know when feed zones are, specific hills are, how much is left without having to rely solely on course markings which can be terrible or sneak up on you.
Quote Reply
Re: What Power Numbers Do You Display On Your Head Unit?? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Four screens on my 910xt (basically use it as a bike computer)

Overview - Elapsed time, Distance, Average Speed, NP
Primary - Power, Lap NP
Occasional - Power, Cadence
Seldom - Power, Speed

I'll monitor HR on my wrist (735xt).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had 3s Avg and Lap NP (auto-lap every 5 miles) for power metrics on the main page display, plus Speed, Distance, Cadence, and Time.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Race Mode:
Time
Distance
10s Power
Speed
Heart Rate

In Training Mode:
Lap Time
Lap Distance
Lap NP
10s Power
Speed
Heart Rate

My question: why do so many who posted use 3s power (more stochastic), and not 10s power (smoother)?

no sponsors | no races | nothing to see here
Quote Reply
Re: What Power Numbers Do You Display On Your Head Unit?? [philly1x] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
philly1x wrote:
My question: why do so many who posted use 3s power (more stochastic), and not 10s power (smoother)?

I guess 10 second feedback is too late when you are trying to control your output.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do only 2 fields on my 520. The first is 3second power and the other is average lap power. Given that one of the more effective intervals for TT/Tri efforts is the 2x20, this is the perfect setup. The 3second power helps you stay in the proper power zone +/5 %, while the average lap power makes sure you get the work done without actually killing you.

You no longer have to guess if you are getting your workout done but you won't be over doing your effort because you think you are behind
Quote Reply
Re: What Power Numbers Do You Display On Your Head Unit?? [tie3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do not find 10s smoother. I find it just as chaotic but chaotic over a longer time if that makes sense
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Nov 14, 17 17:25
Quote Reply

Prev Next