Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cervelo P3C conversion to aero road bike - can it be done?
Quote | Reply
Anyone have success converting their TT bike into an aero road bike? I have a beautiful 2005 P3C (and a new Premier Tactical) and believe the P3C would be a great road bike (as opposed to selling it).
Thx
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P3C conversion to aero road bike - can it be done? [Pathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've looked at doing just that. I think it all depends on the geometry of the bike, your road bike fit and what you want/need in handling. Biggest differences seem to be chain stay length, front to center measurement, seat tube and head tube angles, and head tube length. Well, I guess that's most of the bike!

I think the new P3 may be closer to a road bike in some ways than the older models.

FWIW, the LBS I trust the most absolutely refuses to build a tri bike as a road bike. Flat out against it. After we reviewed the readily available road bikes in xs size and 650c wheels (ie, none) he begrudgingly said, "well, you can try it and see how it handles, but I won't build it for you."

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Last edited by: Tri3: Nov 9, 17 17:38
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P3C conversion to aero road bike - can it be done? [Pathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A friend of mine turned a P2C into a road bike fairly successfully, but he is all torso and no legs. For my giraffe proportions it would never work.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ask Rinard. The NP3 is a bike that could handle it.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P3C conversion to aero road bike - can it be done? [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I converted my steep angled tri bike by just putting a road front end on. I may not be right for the purists, but sure worked fine for me in my Draft legal races.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I converted a mid 2000's carbon TT bike into a flat bar speedster. It was pretty cool but the frame didn't last. Felt like I had front and rear steering the BB+chain-stays got sloppy. An aero front fork of that vintage can be very stiff too. So I would suggest carbon bars if you decide to convert.

I tested it against a steel frame which was very flexy too. But the carbon frame wasn't riding right in certain situations + had a downtube repair, so I junked it

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I converted my Felt B16 for draft legal races with a road cockpit and ITU-style clip on; it works very well, at least for me.
Back in 2007-2008 Reinaldo Colucci of Brazil raced the ITU and possibly the Beijing Olympics with a "converted" P3C
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I converted a P2C into an aero road bike, I think the geometry is the same as the old P3C:

https://www.flickr.com/...933@N05/17470773863/

I use it for crits and for "road bike TTs". It is definitely not comfortable but fast as hell! I do not use it for road races longer than 3 hours. I have no problems to go fast through tight turns in crits.
I have long legs and long arms but a short body, with the 140mm stem and the low stack long reach of the P2 I can come close to my position at my dedicated Ridley Dean TT bike.
Last edited by: BergHugi: Nov 10, 17 0:44
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P3C conversion to aero road bike - can it be done? [BergHugi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes the geometry of size 51 was the same for P2C and P3C, but larger size were different (the P2C was taller)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did it for a season with my P3C, and while it worked fine, it was a pretty terrible road bike. 1) Too much handlebar drop meant the palms of my hands were always sore from the pressure. 2) Because of the geometry, it handled like a dog. Turning was slow and unresponsive compared to a normal road bike. 3) Long road rides were considerably less comfortable. 4) Hill climbing is definitely different than a road bike, not as good - this one is hard to quantify, but real.

If I had the opportunity to convert it again, I wouldn't do it. I'd just keep it as a TT bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
...easily,...

Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P3C conversion to aero road bike - can it be done? [Keehna666] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another pic

Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P3C conversion to aero road bike - can it be done? [Keehna666] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
..what it normally looks like (before winter conversion to a trainer road bike).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very cool! Looks like your saddle position didn't change much?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very minimally.

I use the Fizik Arione model on all my road bikes so it was an easy conversion. I really just manipulated the road bar height and reach (I use the compact reach 3T ergobar and a 10mm shorter stem) and they closely approximate the tri set up (just a little higher and shorter).

I use this configuration in the winter when it sits on the trainer as I find it easier to use for structured workouts (can exert more leverage on the handle bars) and it takes some pressure off my lower back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice. I use the Arione as well. How tall are you? - wondering what sort of stem length I should use as I'm 6'-1"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 5' 8" and the P3 frame is a 54cm one.

The stem is 90mm but I wouldn't go much shorter if you're gonna ride it outside and the handling will get "twitchy". If just on the trainer, no issues.

Last note, since mine is on a trainer and I've slapped on some short ITU style aerobars, I do drop the nose of the saddle 1/6 to 1/8" in case I slide forward for more leverage using the aerobars (again, mine is on a trainer, not being used outside).

Good luck.
Quote Reply