Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Fluctuating PowerTap calibration number
Quote | Reply
I've been finding the power numbers on my G3 hub have felt off, but not way off. When doing threshold intervals, it seems like it's +/- 20w.

The other symptom I've noticed is that everytime I stop to calibrate, I get a number from one of 2 narrow ranges. eg. If I calibrate 4 times on a ride, I might get calibration numbers of: 9,8,16,9, or 9,16,17,9, or 17,8,8,16, etc...
(if I calibrate multiple times in a row, then I get a consistent number, the number only changes randomly if I've ridden for a bit)

I also tried putting put a second power meter on the bike (C1 chainrings) to compare and they would often disagree. Sometimes the G3 would read higher, sometimes lower (usually somewhere in the +/-25 watt range)

To me it seems like there is something wrong with the power meter, but Saris is telling me that it's behaving fine. They say that if it's giving a calibration number between -30 and +30, then it's working fine. My understanding was that unless there was a substantial temperature change, I should be getting a consistent calibration number, is this wrong?

Quote Reply
Re: Fluctuating PowerTap calibration number [AngrySaki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How old is your battery? The CR2032 does not last long, like 3 months for me. I ride 3-4x a week.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wait, you are getting calibration numbers like 9, 8, 16, 9? I hope you mean 509, 508, 516, 509, right?

Whenever I calibrate my G3, those are the sorts of numbers I get. As I recall it's supposed to be something from 500 to 520
Quote Reply
Re: Fluctuating PowerTap calibration number [jdais] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've tried replacing it twice, but it unfortunately hasn't made a difference
Quote Reply
Re: Fluctuating PowerTap calibration number [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It used to read in those 500 ranges you are talking about, but I got it repaired last winter because it was giving me strange power numbers. During that process they had me load some newer firmware which changed the calibration range. (the numbers I'm getting now are usually between 5 and 20 depending on the temperature).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply