Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Water in Nose...nose clips?
Quote | Reply
Ok. So. Is there some secret to NOT getting water in my nose? It normally doesn't bother me. But, I'm on travel this week and the pool is a salt water pool. In fact I think it is just filtered sea water (I'm at the Hilton in Tel-Aviv). Its very salty. This salt water burns my nose and throat, and makes me my stomach sick. I did about a 1000m today before I wussed out and bailed on the balance of my workout.

I tried to get a nose clip, but I don't know how to use that either, I guess. It was slipping a little, and I was still getting some water in my nose which was burning again after about 400m.
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Nov 14, 17 5:35
Quote Reply
Re: Water in Nose...nose clips? [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you doing underwater dolphin kick on your back?

If your nose opening faces the rear, how can water get in there?
Stop lifting your chin to breathe, Turn your head with your body and breathe in the dip in the water created by your bow wave coming off of your head. Begin exhaling as soon as you face is back in the water.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just started using one of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008DXEDCC

It works great. No water at all in my nose. Though, it definitely messes with my breathing a little, as I used to exhale through my nose and mount simultaneously.
Quote Reply
Re: Water in Nose...nose clips? [lyrrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You never mince words, do you? :-)

No I'm not doing any such goofy thing. I couldn't do that well enough to drown, for god's sake. Just swimming freestyle. Underwater dolphin kick---upside down---me? really? uh, no. ---mutter, mutter... :-)

If I knew how water was getting in there...I'd stop it. Its not like I enjoy it. :-) I had 3k planned for the day, it was 75F outside, and sunny, at the beach, on the med. then I was going to go OWS around the jetty as a cool down.

I think I do all those things, but apparently not. I never really notice a problem at my normal chlorine pool. I mean, I always have a little water run out of my sinuses after in the locker-room. But, it never bothered me.

Raising my chin to breath. Hmmm...is that the opposite of lifting my head? In other words, I'm overcompensating for trying to keep my head in the water?

Thanks for the tough love....
Quote Reply
Re: Water in Nose...nose clips? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok. The store had that and this:

https://www.amazon.com/...&pf_rd_i=3418821

The guy in the store said he sold more of the one I posted...so I bought it instead. Might go back tomorrow and get the ones you have. The one I bought seems to work better upside down and backwards.

Of course Lyrrad seems to think I'm just trying to drain the pool directly into my sinus cavity.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
Of course Lyrrad seems to think I'm just trying to drain the pool directly into my sinus cavity.
Water gets in your nose when you swim. It is what water does. There is practically no way to keep water out of your nose. That does not mean that it is totally filling your nose and flooding your sinuses, but yes, water is getting in your nose. You would never notice unless you have a sensitivity to the water. Then boom, it matters.

Good luck with the clip. I had the luxury of time when I bought mine, so I picked based on what seemed the most aggressive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use nose clips while swimming, I use Water Gear Laxto and they work well. When I first started triathlons I was fine in chlorine water, but did have to drain my nasal cavities. Must be the rotor rooter nose job I had done many years ago because my passages where too narrow and I was always congested. Any way I was fine in the pool, but when ever I did OW swims in the lakes I always got congested for a few days afterwards. I started using the nose clips and now always use them since breathing is different, it took a little time to get used to blowing out my mouth instead of my nose.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One trick for a nose clip is to wash your nose with soap before swimming. Noses (Including mine) tend to be fairly oily and washing really helped keep my clip in place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
The one I bought seems to work better upside down and backwards.

I have found that they tend to work better when I use them upside down. I always feel like a bull with one of those nose loops when I swim.

I too must be overcompensating for something because I get water in my nose when I don't use a nose plug. I feel that I drop my torso too much if I don't raise my chin. It feels more efficient to raise my chin.

Oui, mais pas de femme toute de suite (yes, but I am not ready for a woman straight away) -Stephen Roche's reply when asked whether he was okay after collapsing at the finish in the La Plagne stage of the 1987 Tour
Quote Reply
Re: Water in Nose...nose clips? [Vincible] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm allergic to chlorine so I always use a nose clip in the pool. I use those same Speedo clips recommended earlier (https://www.amazon.com/...duct/B00070QEN0?th=1) but I just now never realized if I'm using them the "correct" right side up way or not.

Whichever way they fit, they work.
Quote Reply
Re: Water in Nose...nose clips? [oktriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use that style too. I get nasty sinus infections from pool or lake water so use it for pretty much every swim except races (I'm afraid of being elbowed or kicked in the nose while wearing it in a race). My nose is "aquiline" but not too big. Other styles that friends have sworn by either didn't work or fell off, probably because of a difference in size or shape of noses.

And yes, you have to de-grease your nose before using!
Quote Reply