Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Who has a good return policy these days?
Quote | Reply
I used to always buy from Performance because if it didn't work out, I could send it back. Didn't want to take advantage of it, but if it sat on my desk for three months, I tried it out twice and didn't like it - back it went.

Looks like they only take back unopened items now.

I need a saddle, and fear that I might not get it right on the first shot.

Looks like Competitive Cyclist isn't bad - can't get your money back, but you can exchange within 30 days. A bit tough to do these days with limited time on the bike due to daylight savings and the weather.

Nashbar is very liberal, but has a limited selection.

Who is the most consumer friendly these days?
Quote Reply
Re: Who has a good return policy these days? [greenlawnracing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your local bike shop! Mine will let you try out a loaner saddle for a few weeks to see if you like it.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Who has a good return policy these days? [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very true, except I travel extensively and rarely can make those schedules work. Otherwise that would be my first choice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My default when purchasing something I'm not quite sure about or high dollar is REI. The return policy is fantastic. I've only used it once though and it was a nice option. I bought a Wahoo Kickr. Used it 2-3 times and didn't like it. Brought it back and had my money (including refunding shipping costs) in less than 5 mins.

If REI doesn't have what I'm looking for and return policy is a concern for me, I'll then check Clever Training. It seems to be pretty good. Haven't need to make use of their policy though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
REI and Performance Bike if you need something bigger/nationwide/shippable.

The REI membership has paid for itself for access to their "used garage item" sale that is member's only. Got some hiking shoes for Costa Rica for wife and self for like $20 each. Were returns for fit. Originally some like $150 shoes each.

I find the Perf Bike membership a huge gimmick. You pay YEARLY instead of once lifetime. That's BS. Pretty much only way that works is to buy a whole bike or wheels or like $1000+ in merch per year.

Both claim to take stuff back for a long time, I think a year even in cases.
Quote Reply
Re: Who has a good return policy these days? [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a member of PB. I don't mind the $30/ year because you basically get 10% off. I know I'll spend $300 or more and since the price match I've been buying exclusively from them for years.

BUT I just noticed they changed their policy from lifetime to a year. That's fine, you know if you don't want it/doesn't fit in a year. But since they now only take unopened stuff, its basically a worthless policy other than the unopened cassette that has been sitting in my garage for three months waiting for me to print a return label.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cobb (direct) was amazing. I tried a bunch of their saddles, didn't end up finding one I liked, and they gave me my money back!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most LBS's have demo saddles you take home and try out for period of time. I'd go this route. If it's a TT saddle, Cobb and ISM have pretty liberal return policies.
Quote Reply
Re: Who has a good return policy these days? [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm getting a saddle for my road bike - going to try the Selle Italia Flite Flow.

Nashbar had it and would price match, but shipping was expensive.

Went on Amazon and hit the "easy button". If it doesn't work, I've got 30 days to send it back.

I'll likely regret it as I know saddle choice is a tough one, and well worth a few extra bucks. Just one of those things where I'm traveling, can't make it to the LBS, and want a saddle waiting for me on Friday that I can throw on before my Saturday ride.

If I'm lucky, it will work out. If not, I'll send it back and work with the LBS after the holidays when I have more time.

Did also give some thought into a custom saddle:

https://www.meld3d.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Use your LBS or Trek online Unconditional Guarantee on all Bontrager Items
Quote Reply
Re: Who has a good return policy these days? [integrator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
integrator wrote:
Cobb (direct) was amazing. I tried a bunch of their saddles, didn't end up finding one I liked, and they gave me my money back!

Agreed, I ordered five or six saddles (with their encouragement), tried each for a few days on my bike, kept one, and returned the rest for a full refund.

It made me wonder what happens to returns, maybe they give them to sponsored athletes or sell them discounted somewhere else?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CCs return policy is incredible. Great customer service.
Quote Reply
Re: Who has a good return policy these days? [niccolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
niccolo wrote:
integrator wrote:

Agreed, I ordered five or six saddles (with their encouragement), tried each for a few days on my bike, kept one, and returned the rest for a full refund.

It made me wonder what happens to returns, maybe they give them to sponsored athletes or sell them discounted somewhere else?

Well had I waited more than ten minutes after asking for etailer advice, I probably could have gone this route given my time constraints!

I'm not familiar with Cobb, so I just looked at their web site. Appears that they are $200 - $300. I don't know anything about the custom saddles, but at that price wouldn't one just go that route?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
greenlawnracing wrote:
I used to always buy from Performance because if it didn't work out, I could send it back. Didn't want to take advantage of it, but if it sat on my desk for three months, I tried it out twice and didn't like it - back it went.

Looks like they only take back unopened items now.

I need a saddle, and fear that I might not get it right on the first shot.

Looks like Competitive Cyclist isn't bad - can't get your money back, but you can exchange within 30 days. A bit tough to do these days with limited time on the bike due to daylight savings and the weather.

Nashbar is very liberal, but has a limited selection.

Who is the most consumer friendly these days?

Cobb Cycling still has 90 days. Highly recommend both their saddles but also their return policy. Fwiw, I did a little larger blurb on them with 10% savings opportunity as well here.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Who has a good return policy these days? [joehysong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Second for the Bontrager policy- used it one a few things, really easy.
Quote Reply
Re: Who has a good return policy these days? [elf6c] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
elf6c wrote:
Second for the Bontrager policy- used it one a few things, really easy.

Even more incredible is their no-questions-asked one year warranty on helmets. Unfortunately I had to try it - went OTB in a mountain bike race and ended up with a split helmet (yet no other injuries). Showed up at the shop, they procured a new helmet, and that was it. Also had very good experience with warranty on their shoes.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CleverTraining has a 60 day return policy, used to be 75 days. Unfortunately they only carry ISM, but if you are in the market for ISM then that might work for you. You can also go through ISM direct as they have the full range of saddle selection, but their return policy is 30 days.

http://www.clevertraining.com/cycle/bike-accessories/cycle-saddles?acc=c9f0f895fb98ab9159f51fd0297e236d

-Brad Williams
Website | Twitter: @BW_Tri |Instagram: @BW_Tri | Strava | Co-Founder & Coach at: KIS Coaching
Partnered with: Zoot Sports | Precision Fuel &Hydration | ISM
Quote Reply