Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Oh those wacky college kids. What silly prank will they think of next?
Quote | Reply

"STATE COLLEGE, Pa. — Beta Theta Pi brothers gave their pledge 18 drinks in an hour and 22 minutes, surveillance video from the basement of the fraternity house shows.

The new tape led Centre County's district attorney, Stacy Parks Miller, to announce additional criminal charges Monday against frat members as a result of the investigation into deleted surveillance video from Feb. 2 when Timothy J. Piazza participated in a hazing ritual.
Twelve more Beta Theta Pi members have been charged, including five facing manslaughter charges. At least two dozen people now face charges in the case.

The uncovered footage sheds fresh light on the events that resulted in the 19-year-old's death,"

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Re: Oh those wacky college kids. What silly prank will they think of next? [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shit, kids always think they have invented stuff that has been around forever.

Sex, drugs, drinking... all has been done before, better and by dumber people. Alcohol poisoning isn't hard to pull off, just have to be stupid and committed.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Oh those wacky college kids. What silly prank will they think of next? [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FSU just suspended all their fraternities after a pledge died during hazing.

So stupid.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I feel a slight buzz just reading that. Kids can be so stupid. I saw a friend come within minutes of dying from choking on his own vomit thanks to excessive drinking. Luckily someone noticed and turned him on his side before it was too late.
Quote Reply
Re: Oh those wacky college kids. What silly prank will they think of next? [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:

So stupid.

Just for clarification (this is the LR after all...) so stupid that they hazed someone to their death or so stupid that the University suspended the fraternities?

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Oh those wacky college kids. What silly prank will they think of next? [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
vitus979 wrote:

So stupid.

Just for clarification (this is the LR after all...) so stupid that they hazed someone to their death or so stupid that the University suspended the fraternities?

Some chick in the Tri-Forum mentioned Power Cranks.

Dan shut down ALL the forums and banned ALL female posters.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Oh those wacky college kids. What silly prank will they think of next? [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So stupid that they hazed someone to death.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So sad but I doubt this is changing the behavior at Universities, unfortunately.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't get the whole frat house thing. Not really done in our country. Maybe its time for it to go?

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Oh those wacky college kids. What silly prank will they think of next? [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
len wrote:
Don't get the whole frat house thing. Not really done in our country. Maybe its time for it to go?

I was never a joiner so I never understood the appeal. Unless of course it was this fraternity:

I'd hope that all parents have a serious talk with their kids about the dangers of alcohol. I imagine many do and still the kids, being kids, will ignore the talk in order
to fit in.

Last edited by: jkca1: Nov 14, 17 20:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkca1 wrote:
len wrote:

I'd hope that all parents have a serious talk with their kids about the dangers of alcohol. I imagine many do and still the kids, being kids, will ignore the talk in order
to fit in.

Yep. My son is headed off to college next year, and this sort of thing is very concerning to me. I've already talked about this with him a few times, but you can bet I'll be bringing it up again. That being said, I rather doubt he has any intention of joining a frat in the first place, nor do I have any desire to pay the dues for him to join.

Quote | Reply
jkca1 wrote:
len wrote:

I was never a joiner so I never understood the appeal.

x3. I never understood the allure of Greek life in college.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Oh those wacky college kids. What silly prank will they think of next? [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
len wrote:

It's happening but very slowly. Unfortunately, it's all about alumni and their money.
Quote Reply
Re: Oh those wacky college kids. What silly prank will they think of next? [spot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spot wrote:
jkca1 wrote:
len wrote:

to fit in.

Yep. My son is headed off to college next year, and this sort of thing is very concerning to me. I've already talked about this with him a few times, but you can bet I'll be bringing it up again. That being said, I rather doubt he has any intention of joining a frat in the first place, nor do I have any desire to pay the dues for him to join.

It doesn't take being in a frat.

My freshman year, students moved into the dorms the weekend before classes. Classes started Wednesday. 16 people in the suite, all incoming freshmen. Sunday night we had a drinking contest. Most shots in an hour wins. 17 shots of Seagrams whiskey in 45 minutes won.

Bunch of stupid 18 year olds being stupid. No one bright enough to know when you should take someone to the hospital. No one bright enough to know that even if they don't take someone to the hospital they ought to keep a pretty close eye on them to keep them from choking to death.

My dorm suite could easily have been in the news. And we were supposed to be a smart floor, all math and science majors.

So yeah, talk to your kids.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There was a student death on Sunday in San Marcos, TX - Texas State University suspended all Greek chapters yesterday. From the university president -

Quote:
Dear Bobcat Community:

As president of Texas State University, I am deeply saddened by the tragic death of one of our students who attended an off-campus social event on Sunday evening hosted by members of a university fraternity. Following a call from friends, officers with the San Marcos Police Department found Matthew Ellis, a Phi Kappa Psi pledge, unresponsive on Monday morning at an apartment off campus. He was pronounced dead after EMS personnel were unable to revive him. My thoughts are with his family, friends, and the Texas State Community.

As a result of this tragedy, I have suspended activities of all Greek fraternity and sorority chapters at Texas State. These chapters are prohibited from holding new-member events, chapter meetings, social functions, and philanthropic activities until a thorough review of the Greek Affairs system is completed.

I have asked Dr. Joanne Smith, Vice President for Student Affairs, who has responsibility for the Greek Affairs system, to immediately initiate this review and propose recommendations for reinstating fraternity and sorority chapters that demonstrate a commitment to the core values of Texas State and the ideals established by their respective national organizations.

It is imperative that our entire university community develop a culture that places the highest priority on the safety of its students, faculty, and staff.

Sincerely,

Denise M. Trauth
President
Quote Reply
Re: Oh those wacky college kids. What silly prank will they think of next? [microspawn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
double secret probation

(sorry, poor taste to make a joke on this thread)

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, on the bright side a Harvard Business School professor is predicting that half of US colleges and universities will be bankrupt in 10 to 15 years, so we always have that going for us, which is nice. ;-)

The academy is seriously in need of a high colonic or an enema or similar. According to cultural anthropologist Richard Schweder, of the University of Chicago, US universities once adhered to three ideals or core values. They were:

Ideal #1: “Research done primarily in anticipation of profit is incompatible with the aims
of the university.”

Ideal #2: “The basic principles of the university include complete freedom of research
and the unrestricted dissemination of information.”

Ideal #3: “There must be no consideration of sex, ethnic or national characteristics, or
political or religious beliefs or affiliations in any decision regarding appointment,
promotion, or reappointment at any level of the academic staff.”

Unrestricted and untrammeled discourse? No identity politics? Heresy! Hell, that's hate speech!! ;-)

HBS professor: Half of US colleges will be bankrupt in 10 to 15 years

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: Oh those wacky college kids. What silly prank will they think of next? [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
jkca1 wrote:
len wrote:

I was never a joiner so I never understood the appeal.

x3. I never understood the allure of Greek life in college.

NERDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Oh those wacky college kids. What silly prank will they think of next? [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hopefully dorms now have a residence don or something like that who is mandated to look in on the kids and has a bit of training and their head screwed on straight. When I moved in 30 years ago they were serving purple Jesus' from a bathtub but I didn't see anyone so drunk they couldn't stand up.

There was that girl though on third day who at breakfast was quite worried because she couldn't remember where she was the night before or how she got into bed.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
len wrote:
Hopefully dorms now have a residence don or something like that who is mandated to look in on the kids and has a bit of training and their head screwed on straight. When I moved in 30 years ago they were serving purple Jesus' from a bathtub but I didn't see anyone so drunk they couldn't stand up.

There was that girl though on third day who at breakfast was quite worried because she couldn't remember where she was the night before or how she got into bed.

She could have been the first roofied coed.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
len wrote:

We had a resident advisor for the floor. They can't be all places at all times. Large numbers of 18 year olds on their own with no supervision are dangerous animals.

Quote Reply
Re: Oh those wacky college kids. What silly prank will they think of next? [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was in "quiet block" which was supposed to be filled with scholarship holders and people who wanted to study. Must have been a shortage that year because they filled the first floor with animal house guys. Three of them got sent home when they put a refrigerator on the train tracks behind the university and watched it get hit. CN rail was not impressed.

Quote Reply