Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Miamiman 2017
Quote | Reply
Who's going to be there? It's my first 70.3 and I'm pretty stoked (and a little nervous about the unknown of a longer distance).

Main question:

My wave is the first wave off at 6:35 AM. I'll be towards the front on the bike, but will we hit the olympic traffic on the bike (oly race starts at 8:00 AM)?

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Last edited by: cloy: Nov 9, 17 10:06
Quote Reply
Re: Miamiman 2018 [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oly traffic is not much of an issue in my experience. The second loop of the half is a bit crowded but nothing huge. This is from my experience in previous years including 2016. Be careful on the last stretch back to transition because there will be car traffic on course. Worse part is after the last turn onto 127 right before getting back to the park.
Quote Reply
Re: Miamiman 2017 [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I'll be there - my 3rd 70.3 this year plus 3 other longer events. :) I did the race last year and once before ... 2007 I think. The bike portion has always been short 2 miles, but I see from this year's published map that they've added a small loop on the way back to pick up those miles. USAT must have pressured them to get it right.

They've changed the wave order this year. Last year I was near the beginning and passed a few Oly stragglers towards the end... you shouldn't concern yourself with them. This year I'm next to last wave so I shouldn't see any of them. It's going to be hotter and windier this year (expect 15 ESE) ... stay aero or pay the consequences.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was looking at doing the aqua bike half next year before deciding to just focus on riding... I'll be curious to hear from anyone in regards to how the race went as it might be on the calendar for 2019.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ll be there 6:45am wave.
Was able to pull off zero swimming since last years race. (Hate swimming). And there is a chance it won’t be wetsuit legal as it’s been pretty warm the entire week.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
doing it again this year and will also be in the first wave. the bike is lonely for the first lap and then you'll run into a wall of people for the second lap. keep your eyes open for shiny objects on the road since the course was tacked last year. they weren't there for the front of the race but plenty of reports of people hitting them later on.

be aware that there's a good amount of unpaved running for the start and end of each run loop and that the sidewalk before and after the turnaround on the far side is pretty rooty so watch out so you don't twist your ankles. that area gets very crowded too.

good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: Miamiman 2017 [dualsport] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dualsport wrote:
And there is a chance it won’t be wetsuit legal as it’s been pretty warm the entire week.

Isn't it almost always wetsuit legal?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Usually is, except for a couple of years ago when it wasn't. Even if it's wetsuit legal I will probably go without one since it will be close to 77 degrees at the start. Last year was pretty toasty but at least you could cool off on the bike. I'm glad I'm doing the aqua bike this year and won't have to run in that heat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Watch out for the idiots throwing tacks in the road.
Quote Reply
Re: Miamiman 2017 [Dominion] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dominion wrote:
Watch out for the idiots throwing tacks in the road.

Where were the tacks? I've done it twice before, but missed last year. That was the only time I've heard about tacks.

Never mind, found a thread:

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Triathlon_Forum_F1/Miami_Man_bike_course_%22tacked%22._Thanks,_Trump!_P6141128/
Last edited by: michaer27: Nov 10, 17 3:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m in, 2nd time doing this race (2013). Good tips above. I’d add that the run portion inside the zoo can get crowded. Keep alert for strollers, tourists and the occasional bicycle/surrey. I’d guess that they’ll find someplace to measure it wetsuit legal, but I’ll go speed suit. Can’t see it being windier than Miami 70.3 a few weeks ago.

Enjoy your race!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cloy wrote:
dualsport wrote:
And there is a chance it won’t be wetsuit legal as it’s been pretty warm the entire week.

Isn't it almost always wetsuit legal?[/quote======
======================================================================================
it was 79f today/saturday so it's still iffy. the RD said they will measure the temperature at 4am tomorrow morning and then announce the yes or no on wetsuits when we get there. i swam today in my skinsuit during the practice time slot and it was very nice. i hope they have the temperature/wetsuit decision announcement in each of the parking lots so we don't need to lug our wetsuits in to the T area if they're not to be used.
so far it's been extremely well organized.
peggy
Quote Reply
Re: Miamiman 2017 [pmcdc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pmcdc wrote:
it was 79f today/saturday so it's still iffy. the RD said they will measure the temperature at 4am tomorrow morning and then announce the yes or no on wetsuits when we get there. i swam today in my skinsuit during the practice time slot and it was very nice. i hope they have the temperature/wetsuit decision announcement in each of the parking lots so we don't need to lug our wetsuits in to the T area if they're not to be used.
so far it's been extremely well organized.
peggy

Good luck Peggy!!

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Miamiman 2017 [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
how NICE to get this cheery upper tonight. THANKS!!!!!!!!
peggy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How did everyone’s day go at Miami Man.
I managed a double DNF.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear that ... It was tough. I had a shitty swim start, strong bike and poor run due to my right foot constantly feeling like it was on fire. Ended up in 3rd for my AG which surprised me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dualsport wrote:
I managed a double DNF.

times seemed much slower across the board this year than last year. i managed 5th in my AG even though I was 23 minutes slower than last year with an 8th in my AG. Sorry to hear about your DNF. The strong wind on the bike made it easy to overbike the first part of it and then fade hard trying to fight the cross/headwind on the way back. the heat felt stifling on the run and i know it broke a lot of people
Quote Reply
Re: Miamiman 2017 [jazzymusicman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jazzymusicman wrote:
dualsport wrote:
I managed a double DNF.

times seemed much slower across the board this year than last year. i managed 5th in my AG even though I was 23 minutes slower than last year with an 8th in my AG. Sorry to hear about your DNF. The strong wind on the bike made it easy to overbike the first part of it and then fade hard trying to fight the cross/headwind on the way back. the heat felt stifling on the run and i know it broke a lot of people

Yeah noticed times were a lot slower than last year. I think part of it is that people come to race thinking it will be wet suit legal every year.

For me My race only lasted past the first buoy and three paddle boards later I called it a day. Getting out of the water sucked, but I wasn’t done yet. I remembered that the long course duathlon started at 7:20am so I asked race organizers for a transfer and to my surprise I was told to head to the start line.

Took it easy on the short 1mile run before heading out on the 56 mike bike course.
With a tailwind I went out way to fast and let the high mph get to my head. Then past the midway point I made the mistake of taking a wrong turn, it was only a few hundreds yards before getting back on track. From there on things just got worse and the last 15 miles was into a 20 mph headwind was kinda demoralizing, the stupid road would not end.

Getting off the bike at T2 I called it a day. Legs were toast and marathon season starts in two weeks for me and I didn’t want to risk injury during the run.

Congrats to everyone that finished!!!
Last edited by: dualsport: Nov 13, 17 15:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
time to get a power meter ;)

i was going 25-26mph with the wind, 22mph with the crosstail wind, and 16-18mph into the headwind. pretty big discrepancy and it makes it hard to pace if you don't have one
Last edited by: jazzymusicman: Nov 13, 17 12:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dualsport wrote:
=======================================================
i had a great day. yes, the swim was definitely long.
i thought the race was very, very well organized. good venue (i did the aquabike), and the turn signs on the bike were the best ever. i appreciated all of their efforts.
peggy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did the half last year and this year. I thought the bike was significantly windier this year.
I was kinda disappointed in the aid stations on the run this year. It seemed like every other one didn't have ice and/or didn't have water. It's kinda demoralizing on a hot humid run to be expecting ice water only to be given hot syrupy Gatorade. Those run aid stations seemed to have more/better volunteers last year also. Seemed kinda under-staffed this year.

All in all I still shaved more than an hour off time time from last year and that's with a longer (real) bike leg this year. Goes to show what some good coaching and hard work can do. A "few" dollar investment in the bike didn't hurt either.
Last edited by: coralsnake: Nov 13, 17 18:25
Quote Reply
Re: Miamiman 2017 [pmcdc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pmcdc wrote:
dualsport wrote:
=======================================================
i had a great day. yes, the swim was definitely long.
i thought the race was very, very well organized. good venue (i did the aquabike), and the turn signs on the bike were the best ever. i appreciated all of their efforts.
peggy

I was also surprised with no wetsuit, as I must have jinxed things by buying a new one a week ago! Ended up with fastest split in ag, and then the bike course did me in with an obvious missed direction resulting in a short course. Not sure where I went wrong, as it seemed pretty well marked. Fought the heat for a good run but the missed miles shut me out of 2nd place. Oh well, my mistake and fuel for next year....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PremierBike had 5 competitors on Tactical's - 4 qualified for Worlds. Congratulations to all these athletes for putting in the work and getting great results. Maybe the 5th did also but I have not heard yet. I heard it was wind and hot the last 1/2 of the bike leg.

Dan Kennison

facebook: @triPremierBike
http://www.PremierBike.com
http://www.PositionOneSports.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great race, really well run and nice venue. It was a lot harder than we all planned with the wind and no wetsuit swim, etc. but if you don’t like hard things you probably shouldn’t do triathlons. I had my usual awful swim, felt like a champ the first part of the bike with wind at my back and then just kept it steady into the strong headwind on the way back. This was a matter of taking what the day gave us as I knew if I went deep and tried to keep my pace up I’d pay heavy on the run so I just focused on making forward progress at a pace I could sustain. First mile of the run I still felt pretty bad but looked at my watch and saw my pace was not bad so I just kept trying to do that. Had a great run for me and passed a lot of folks with my only major mishap occurring when I tripped over a crack in the running path right before the turnaround and took a big face plant. Ended up with some scrapes on my legs and hands that bled a bunch for mere flesh wounds but didn’t slow me down. Small price to pay for a good and challenging race.
Quote Reply
Re: Miamiman 2017 [jsmith] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had really high expectations coming into this race, despite it being my first half iron.

The morning started off a little shaky—I heard the no wetsuit news and 3 minutes later I was pumping up my tire and the presta valve broke off into the crack pipe adapter for the disc. Fortunately, the wheel held air for the entire ride, but sitting on the bike for 56 miles with that thought was a little frustrating.

My swim was actually fairly decent for me—33:43. I've been putting in work at the pool, so I'm glad to see it's been paying off.

I hopped on the bike and knew that I had to stick to 260 watts to be able to have anything on the run. Downwind I was hitting 26 to 28 mph and into the wind I was managing 19 to 20 mph. I got a little too excited on the second loop and may have burned a few matches. I stayed consistent throughout the rest of the bike and tapered off a little towards the end because I remembered that I was looking at a 13.1 mile run and not the usual 3.1 miles... I ended up biking a 2:18:44 and felt pretty good coming into T2. Ended up at 261 AP and 265 NP—80% of FTP.

My first mile was considerably faster than my GP—6:30/mile. My legs felt pretty good but my second mile slowed a bit to my goal (6:50/mile) and then I started to develop a bad case of side stitches during mile 3. I ended up doing a run/walk routine and hobbled in to a 1:49:33 run—a very poor time for what I know I am capable of. I also tripped over a crack in the pavement at the uturn close to the entrance of the zoo. Not my proudest moment. hah.

I ended up 1st in my AG (25–29) and 12th OA. For my first showing at this distance, I can't be too upset. It was definitely a learning experience. I need to figure out my side stitch issue (see other thread), but when I do, I'm confident I can go close to the 4:30 mark. Total time was 4:45:33.

During the run, I told myself that I would never do this distance again...

I am already researching 70.3s to do next season.

I have a sprint this weekend back in my hometown that I will probably do, but after that, I am going to take some time completely off and focus on my last semester final exams that I've been somewhat neglecting (the joy of third year law school).

Last edited by: cloy: Nov 14, 17 2:23
Quote Reply

Prev Next