Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Now People Are Coming Out of the Closet as... Fat?
Quote | Reply
Really? They have to come out of the closet to, you know, let the rest of us know they're fat? ;-)

Looks like another stampede to claim victimhood and a super-special-double-plus-good position in our hierarchy. All of this grasping, clutching, DEMANDING victimology is going to be the death of our liberal democracy.

Why? Glad you asked: To me, it seems like a play to gain power that comes from the advantages government grants to favored classes of people. It's all about who can gain that favored position these days. Never mind the whole "we're all created equal" thing, right?

Coming Out As Fat | Ravishly

"Before I came out as fat, my friends and family had been well-trained never to bring up the subject of my weight; we all participated in a group delusion of my own making. I didn’t want to be criticized and chastised because of my weight, so we spent a lot of time avoiding the topic."

My, how far we've come since I was 19, when my company Gunny -- during early morning PT ("physical training") -- used to rage at all of us that he'd be damned if any one of us worthless piles of dogsh*t were going to turn into a fat food blister on his watch. LOL!

(P.S. Don't ask me how I stumbled on the linked site. I swear I wasn't over at BBWwomen.com!)

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: Now People Are Coming Out of the Closet as... Fat? [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If accept a fat chick as being beautiful and express that to her have I committed sexual assault?

And if I don’t express my appreciation for her fat beauty then I’m victimizing her because she’s fat?

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Now People Are Coming Out of the Closet as... Fat? [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I gather that whole idea of losing weight is now considered ridiculous when you can just join the latest social justice warrior group.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If only there was some sort of visible clue that the rest of us could see without too much effort, that would negate this whole movement. If only...

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
Really? They have to come out of the closet to, you know, let the rest of us know they're fat? ;-)

Looks like another stampede to claim victimhood and a super-special-double-plus-good position in our hierarchy. All of this grasping, clutching, DEMANDING victimology is going to be the death of our liberal democracy.

Why? Glad you asked: To me, it seems like a play to gain power that comes from the advantages government grants to favored classes of people. It's all about who can gain that favored position these days. Never mind the whole "we're all created equal" thing, right?

"Before I came out as fat, my friends and family had been well-trained never to bring up the subject of my weight; we all participated in a group delusion of my own making. I didn’t want to be criticized and chastised because of my weight, so we spent a lot of time avoiding the topic."

My, how far we've come since I was 19, when my company Gunny -- during early morning PT ("physical training") -- used to rage at all of us that he'd be damned if any one of us worthless piles of dogsh*t were going to turn into a fat food blister on his watch. LOL!

(P.S. Don't ask me how I stumbled on the linked site. I swear I wasn't over at BBWwomen.com!)

You'll probably get some crazy shit ads from Google now!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
#MeTooFat
Quote Reply
Re: Now People Are Coming Out of the Closet as... Fat? [racin_rusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HAHAHAHAHA! you're a trip!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Where do you think the line should be drawn the line on this? I've LONG believed that all men are created equal and thus should be treated equally under the law in all respects. This to me does not mean equal outcomes, equal opportunities or equal anything else simply that the laws are as equal as possible and treat everyone equal in similar cases as possible.

I've long believed that we have shifted from "Equal under the law" to an attempt at "Equal outcomes under the law", to me entirely different things. I think the former is a necessary part of a free society, I think the latter is a recipe for a non free society.

I think most would consider my opinions on this "Radical" as most see "Equal under the law" as making sure one person doesn't ever get treated differently than another. I tend to believe that this should mean that laws created should treat everyone equally not that laws should be created to make sure that everyone is treated equally.

~Matt

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I suspect this entire movement is BS since the truly fat ones would never have been able to fit into the closet.
Quote Reply
Re: Now People Are Coming Out of the Closet as... Fat? [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
If accept a fat chick as being beautiful and express that to her have I committed sexual assault?

And if I don’t express my appreciation for her fat beauty then I’m victimizing her because she’s fat?

Have you photographed brides recently?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My goodness, that article is ridiculous.

Quote | Reply
EndlessH2O wrote:
Duffy wrote:

Last wedding I shot was in 2004.

I had a very odd way of doing things when it came to weddings. I did no marketing at all. People who had seen my work sought me out. If they wanted something other than what I wanted to do I’d tell them to find someone else.

I had no interest in photographing unattractive brides so those that weren’t up to snuff got sent away.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm really hating this whole fat acceptance thing. You are fat. Do something about it. You are not attractive and you are not healthy. You are a burden on our health system such as it is. You do not belong in the SI bikini edition. Put down the Big Mac, take that money you just spent on hair and nails, and get a trainer/nutritionist.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:

You got it, sir.

Quote Reply
Re: Now People Are Coming Out of the Closet as... Fat? [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
If only there was some sort of visible clue that the rest of us could see without too much effort, that would negate this whole movement. If only...

Yah. But any visible clue would be so obscure that it would be near-impossible to discover...

Quote Reply
Re: Now People Are Coming Out of the Closet as... Fat? [Go Pound Sand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Go Pound Sand wrote:
big kahuna wrote:

You'll probably get some crazy shit ads from Google now!

Hahahahahaha! I'm looking forward to them! ;-)

Quote Reply
Re: Now People Are Coming Out of the Closet as... Fat? [MJuric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MJuric wrote:

Where do you think the line should be drawn the line on this? I've LONG believed that all men are created equal and thus should be treated equally under the law in all respects. This to me does not mean equal outcomes, equal opportunities or equal anything else simply that the laws are as equal as possible and treat everyone equal in similar cases as possible.

I've long believed that we have shifted from "Equal under the law" to an attempt at "Equal outcomes under the law", to me entirely different things. I think the former is a necessary part of a free society, I think the latter is a recipe for a non free society.

I think most would consider my opinions on this "Radical" as most see "Equal under the law" as making sure one person doesn't ever get treated differently than another. I tend to believe that this should mean that laws created should treat everyone equally not that laws should be created to make sure that everyone is treated equally.

~Matt

I agree. I don't see how this sort of stuff can end well for us as a society. "Fat acceptance" could easily turn into what Mr. Duffy described in his post: if you aren't sufficiently "enthusiastic" about fat people then you're "fat-phobic" or something and need to be reeducated. If you don't support protected-class status for fat people you're being discriminatory or something.

Science about obesity is even now being turned on its head with all this "fat but healthy" thinking, which I don't think is actually supported by the science. SMH.

Quote Reply
Re: Now People Are Coming Out of the Closet as... Fat? [DJRed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DJRed wrote:
I suspect this entire movement is BS since the truly fat ones would never have been able to fit into the closet.

Too, too funny. :-)

Quote Reply
Re: Now People Are Coming Out of the Closet as... Fat? [travelmama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
travelmama wrote:
My goodness, that article is ridiculous.

My wife read it. Her sentiments were much the same as yours. ;-)

Quote Reply
Re: Now People Are Coming Out of the Closet as... Fat? [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
I gather that whole idea of losing weight is now considered ridiculous when you can just join the latest social justice warrior group.

I'm scratching my head over the seeming rush on the part of people today to claim some sort of victimhood when it comes to being obese or fat. Sure enough, what we'll see next is a demand for protected-class status. That's insane, if you ask me.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On the basis that fat people are now a majority, why not just start your own special status group of people with a healthy BMI who exercise regularly? It's clearly a minority group, and one who is discriminated against in many ways.

E.g. They are victimised when they're put on the plane next to a fat person who doesn't fit in their seat. Their health care costs go up in order to subsidise fat people. Proposals such as a sugar tax will unfairly penalise those who like the occasional treat, in order to pander to those with no self control who order doughnuts by the dozen. They are ridiculed for wearing tight fitting sportswear. Etc, etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
EndlessH2O wrote:
Duffy wrote:

I had a very odd way of doing things when it came to weddings. I did no marketing at all. People who had seen my work sought me out. If they wanted something other than what I wanted to do I’d tell them to find someone else.

I had no interest in photographing unattractive brides so those that weren’t up to snuff got sent away.

I am shocked these days when I have a bride that fits into their dress. The majority can't! And don't get me started about the bridesmaids.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
MJuric wrote:

~Matt

I agree. I don't see how this sort of stuff can end well for us as a society. "Fat acceptance" could easily turn into what Mr. Duffy described in his post: if you aren't sufficiently "enthusiastic" about fat people then you're "fat-phobic" or something and need to be reeducated. If you don't support protected-class status for fat people you're being discriminatory or something.

Science about obesity is even now being turned on its head with all this "fat but healthy" thinking, which I don't think is actually supported by the science. SMH.

Basically as you move from normal weight through the obese categories a greater percentage of people become unhealthy. The percentage of normal weight persons who are unhealthy and the percent of obese people who are healthy about the same, somewhere in the ball park of 25% or so (maybe a little lower for the healthy obese, depends on the study you look at). At least if you're talking about the major health risks; CVD, Cancer, hypertension, cholesterol, diabetes, etc.

A lot of this is probably mediated by other lifestyle factors like smoking and fitness levels.
Quote Reply
Re: Now People Are Coming Out of the Closet as... Fat? [EndlessH2O] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EndlessH2O wrote:
Duffy wrote:
EndlessH2O wrote:
Duffy wrote:

I am shocked these days when I have a bride that fits into their dress. The majority can't! And don't get me started about the bridesmaids.

It's their right to look as porcine as they want, I suppose. I just don't like that they expect the rest of us to applaud their decision to remain so svelte and sleek and demand that we accede to their "fat acceptance" push.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
EndlessH2O wrote:
Duffy wrote:
EndlessH2O wrote:
Duffy wrote:

It's their right to look as porcine as they want, I suppose. I just don't like that they expect the rest of us to applaud their decision to remain so svelte and sleek and demand that we accede to their "fat acceptance" push.

Quote Reply

Prev Next