Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Any legitimate reason NOT to get a CCW?
Quote | Reply
Just curious, It was one of those things that I have wavered on in the past. It makes it easier going to the range, but that is pretty minor. Any reasons not to get one?
Last edited by: ronc185: Nov 10, 17 9:25
Quote Reply
Re: Any legitimate reason NOT to get a CCW? [ronc185] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't have one because I don't need one. I can't imagine too many situations where I'd need to carry, or even want to. Given how much a pain in the ass carrying a wallet and a phone can be, why would I want to carry something else. That said, I can think a a few rare and unlikely circumstance where I might want (or have wanted) one. But that doesn't mean that the benefit for those rare situations outweighs the hassle of getting one.

Seems like a good enough reason for me. But I understand that it's personal.
Last edited by: AlanShearer: Nov 10, 17 9:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had to give a set of fingerprints to get mine. I would not have got one if my prints weren't already in the system. Other than that, I cant think of a reason.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not really, except for when the government decides to come and confiscate all of our guns they will start with the CCW holders. Had to throw in some paranoia>>

I never got one because I don't see the need but think it's a great thing if you want one. In my 5 decades on this planet I have never once come even close to a scenario where I needed to be armed. Maybe I have lived a charmed life but just don't want to hassle with getting one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Time expenditure to get one. Cost. Both minor, IMO. As others mentioned - if you have one, the government has another file on you. I have one. In WI, we do not need to provide fingerprints. But, I obtained my TSA prescreen a couple years ago, so the feds have my fingerprints anyway. There is also a record of every gun purchase I have ever made. So, I am not too concerned about "the government" having another file on me.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Any legitimate reason NOT to get a CCW? [ACE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ACE wrote:
Not really, except for when the government decides to come and confiscate all of our guns they will start with the CCW holders. Had to throw in some paranoia>>

I never got one because I don't see the need but think it's a great thing if you want one. In my 5 decades on this planet I have never once come even close to a scenario where I needed to be armed. Maybe I have lived a charmed life but just don't want to hassle with getting one.

That's my take on guns too. I have an old aluminum baseball bat I keep next the bed, never needed it either but it's pretty much hassle free.

If I had a reason to get a gun, it's not like I would have any principled reason not to. If I ever end up with a place out in the country, esp. if I raise animals, I'd probably get one.
Quote Reply
Re: Any legitimate reason NOT to get a CCW? [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:

Given how much a pain in the ass carrying a wallet and a phone can be, why would I want to carry something else.

X1000000. I would have to live in the worst hellhole imaginable to ever contemplate needing one. If you go to the range a LOT, Maybe . Then you might have a reason of convenience. On a daily basis, it would useless and inconvenient.
Last edited by: oldandslow: Nov 10, 17 9:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The reasons would vary by state. For instance in my state you have to take out a notice in the paper to say you are requesting one. Therefore any criminal knows you probably have at least one gun. Generally not a good idea to advertise you have guns in the house. In some other states I think foip requests resulted in the complete list of CCW owners being published.

I do not see any great need to carry a gun and am happy to lock them up and transport legally when going to the range.

The problem is that it takes at least 6 months to get one if I change my mind. So I have thought about getting one. Also 40 hours of training is required and I have only taken some of the courses so far.
Quote Reply
Re: Any legitimate reason NOT to get a CCW? [patf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
patf wrote:
The reasons would vary by state. For instance in my state you have to take out a notice in the paper to say you are requesting one.

In what pinko commie state do you live???

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Any legitimate reason NOT to get a CCW? [oldandslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oldandslow wrote:
Quote:

Given how much a pain in the ass carrying a wallet and a phone can be, why would I want to carry something else.

X1000000. I would have to live in the worst hellhole imaginable to ever need one. If you to a range a lot, maybe.then you might have a reason of convenience. On a daily basis, it would useless and inconvenient.

I'm freeballin' it today, because even underwear is too restricting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
patf wrote:
Therefore any criminal knows you probably have at least one gun. Generally not a good idea to advertise you have guns in the house.

Back a couple of election cycles we had a referendum related to guns on the ballot, so lots of good stuff on the state public radio about issues surrounding guns, etc.

One of the things I remember hearing stated was that houses with guns are prime targets for burglary since the stolen guns are so valuable on the black market. So people with signs like "This house protected by Smith and Wesson" are just advertising their place as good one to hit.
Quote Reply
Re: Any legitimate reason NOT to get a CCW? [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
patf wrote:
The reasons would vary by state. For instance in my state you have to take out a notice in the paper to say you are requesting one.

Delaware. you also have to get people to say you are an upstanding citizen.

We are a may-issue state, but reality is most people get them if you word you application correctly.
Quote Reply
Re: Any legitimate reason NOT to get a CCW? [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
ACE wrote:

That's my take on guns too. I have an old aluminum baseball bat I keep next the bed, never needed it either but it's pretty much hassle free.

If I had a reason to get a gun, it's not like I would have any principled reason not to. If I ever end up with a place out in the country, esp. if I raise animals, I'd probably get one.

I grew up with a lot of guns in the house, dad a big hunter and gun afficiando. Got many guns as Christmas presents over the years and still have some sporting shotguns for clay pigeons shooting. But, have no reason to carry one around in my mind.

for home protection I have guns locked up but always thought having a large dog is the best deterrent to criminals. I had a Rottweiler/Chow mix for 12 years while living in a bad part of town in grad school and pretty sure he prevented a few break ins, ( often at the front door going crazy) A guy barged into one apartment I had and my dog jumped up and growled and the guy immediately left ( turns out he was drunk and wrong apartment but made me feel good about my security).
Last edited by: ACE: Nov 10, 17 9:56
Quote Reply
Re: Any legitimate reason NOT to get a CCW? [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Canada we had a long gun registry. The bad guys hacked into it and they then had the locations of all the guns. For other reasons we don't have the registry any more.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
patf wrote:
JSA wrote:
patf wrote:

Delaware. you also have to get people to say you are an upstanding citizen.

We are a may-issue state, but reality is most people get them if you word you application correctly.

Damn. Some of you folks really need to move to America. It's pretty awesome here!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You live in an open carry state and prefer to scare suburban moms at target???
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Having a CCP doesn't mean you have to carry. Just means that you CAN, if you want to. I thought I would carry more than I do when I got mine, but it really is kind of a pain in the ass because you do have to be mindful of all the idiots with businesses that have placed gun-buster signs at the entrances thinking that if someone is going to rob them they will go back to the car because they don't allow guns there. There are lots of public buildings that don't allow concealed carry either and I go to the police station once a week for a course I am taking. Also, I am not a big guy and concealing a weapon on my person is difficult unless I am wearing a jacket or coat.

That said, I do have a firearm in my car and it has been beneficial on one occasion during the four years I have had a CCP. I walked into a Target (with a gun-buster sign) one day and a grungy looking guy walked in with me and hit me up for money. I could tell he didn't really expect me to give him any money by the way he was looking me up and down. I made a mental note to keep track of that guy and sure enough, I could tell he is following me through the store from a distance. Putting two and two together, I concluded that he saw a well dressed guy pull up in an expensive car that he parked away from the rest and decided I was a good victim. When I walked out with my purchases, I walked quickly to see if he would follow, and he did...along with some equally sketchy looking girl that suddenly appeared with a backpack. I had a lead of about 20 yards on them and quickly threw my bags into the car and pulled my pistol from the small glovebox next to the driver's door that I was standing behind. I held my pistol behind my hip and flipped the safety off as the pair fast walked straight toward the front of my car. The guy never took his eyes off of me and we were well away from any other people. But, he could tell by my straightened right arm and hand hidden from sight that it probably wasn't a good idea to make a move. I thought my heart was going to jump out of my chest it was beating so hard. He still walked right past the open car door within 5', staring at me. That guy was about to rob me, no question. The gunphobics will say, 'You don't KNOW that...' or 'You could have held the same position with NO gun and fooled him...' or something else equally idiotic. All I know is that at that moment, I was absolutely glad I was armed and was fully prepared to use it.

My advice, go ahead and get it. Use it if you want to. There will be times you will at least take comfort knowing you could defend yourself.

Greg

If you are a Canuck that engages in gratuitous bashing of the US, you are probably on my Iggy List. So, save your self a bunch of typing a response unless you also feel the need to gratuitously bash me. If so, have fun.
"Don't underestimate Joe's ability to f___ things up" - Barack Obama, 2020
Quote Reply
Re: Any legitimate reason NOT to get a CCW? [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
Time expenditure to get one. Cost. Both minor, IMO. As others mentioned - if you have one, the government has another file on you. I have one. In WI, we do not need to provide fingerprints. But, I obtained my TSA prescreen a couple years ago, so the feds have my fingerprints anyway. There is also a record of every gun purchase I have ever made. So, I am not too concerned about "the government" having another file on me.

The feds had your prints when you were in the Army goof.

ETA and when you were admitted
Last edited by: windywave: Nov 10, 17 10:56
Quote Reply
Re: Any legitimate reason NOT to get a CCW? [gregtryin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gregtryin wrote:
The gunphobics will say, 'You don't KNOW that...' or 'You could have held the same position with NO gun and fooled him...'

...or you could have gotten in your car and left?

The guy pulls a gun on me and I give him the 40 bucks in my wallet. The guy pulls a gun on you and who knows what happens from there. Maybe we're different, but I'm not willing to kill someone over petty theft.

I guess that makes me gun phobic.
Quote Reply
Re: Any legitimate reason NOT to get a CCW? [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Except you don't know what's going to happen after you give him your 40 bucks, either.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"...or you could have gotten in your car and left? "

Wasn't an option and it wouldn't have been smart to get into the car where I would have been essentially trapped. Girl could have gone to the passenger door and opened it, pulled a gun on me. Guy could have broken the driver's window and pulled a gun.

"The guy pulls a gun on me and I give him the 40 bucks in my wallet. The guy pulls a gun on you and who knows what happens from there. Maybe we're different, but I'm not willing to kill someone over petty theft."

And you KNOW this is all it would have come to...'petty theft'? Guy and accomplice are fast walking toward you in a remote area with his eyes locked on and all he wants is your $40, and you are SURE about that, right?

If he had stopped and asked me for my wallet, I would have drawn and told him to take a hike with my finger on the trigger. At that point, it would have been up to him as to what happened. Not me.

If he had a gun, I'd rather be in a gunfight than dead in the parking lot.

Greg

If you are a Canuck that engages in gratuitous bashing of the US, you are probably on my Iggy List. So, save your self a bunch of typing a response unless you also feel the need to gratuitously bash me. If so, have fun.
"Don't underestimate Joe's ability to f___ things up" - Barack Obama, 2020
Quote Reply
Re: Any legitimate reason NOT to get a CCW? [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
JSA wrote:

Wasn't JSA a Marine?

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Any legitimate reason NOT to get a CCW? [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
windywave wrote:
JSA wrote:

Wasn't JSA a Marine?

That would be immaterial to my point, but I am pretty sure he was in the Army.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, generally in Canada you aren't allowed to get a CCW. I am pretty sure that I don't fall under any of the circumstances that would allow it.

Also I don't have a gun to conceal so applying to carry my non-existent gun would be rather pointless.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been "mugged" once

I have lived on 3 continents and spent 7.5 years in the middle east and 6-8 years in the US

I got mugged in Manchester where i went to uni

I "generally" have never felt more or less at risk in US, ME or europe

All that said if someone wants the less than 50 bucks I carry or my cards they can have them. I dont care. I get it all back why would I give a shit
Quote Reply

Prev Next