Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
New call to boycott
Quote | Reply
https://www.msn.com/...r-AAuyxJ1?li=BBnbfcL

So Mila Kunis has been sending a monthly donation to Planned Parenthood in Mike Pence's name. Some conservatives are saying they'll stop buying Jim Beam.

Now first of all, I find the whole, send-a-donation-to-an-organization-you-hate stunt irritating as fuck.

But seriously, does anyone believe that it genuinely involves Jim Beam? No, we all know Jim Beam has nothing to do with Mila Kunis' political opinions. What's the point of announcing social media that you won't buy Jim Beam? It's a cheap attempt to leverage an uninvolved employer to punish a person for exercising their rights.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: New call to boycott [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/celebrity/mila-kunis-donations-to-planned-parenthood-in-mike-pences-name-spark-boycott-of-liquor-brand-she-fronts/ar-AAuyxJ1?li=BBnbfcL

So Mila Kunis has been sending a monthly donation to Planned Parenthood in Mike Pence's name. Some conservatives are saying they'll stop buying Jim Beam.

Now first of all, I find the whole, send-a-donation-to-an-organization-you-hate stunt irritating as fuck.

But seriously, does anyone believe that it genuinely involves Jim Beam? No, we all know Jim Beam has nothing to do with Mila Kunis' political opinions. What's the point of announcing social media that you won't buy Jim Beam? It's a cheap attempt to leverage an uninvolved employer to punish a person for exercising their rights.

which is employed regularly by both sides of the aisle. And why is this tactic employed regularly by both sides of the aisle? Because in many cases it is effective (and may very well be here).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love how the Rich Gans guy goes on Twitter and says he'll boycott Jim and buy Jack. Jim Beam is a Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey and Jack Daniels is a Tennessee whiskey. LOL!

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
People are stupid. They should boycott Jim Beam because it's Jim Beam.

I'd also like to add this is fake news. Republicans don't resort to this type of behavior. That's strictly a liberal thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is a whole lot of stupid happening on those twitter responses.

Also, I cringe whenever conservatives refer to one another as patriots.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The boycott is so they fire her. They hired her now they have to deal with the repercussions of her actions. If she hadn't made the donation in Pence's name AND publicized it, would this be an issue?
Quote Reply
Re: New call to boycott [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The boycott is so they fire her.

My point exactly.

If she hadn't made the donation in Pence's name AND publicized it, would this be an issue?

No. If she never exercises her right to free speech and never says anything that someone disagrees with, she wouldn't have people trying to get her fired from her job. Just like the rest of us.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have no idea other than I wouldn’t mind giving Mila a, umm, donation. Just saying

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The most bewildering part is that Mila Kunis is a paid spokesperson for Jim Beam.

But there's also the fact that purchasing Jim Beam now means voluntarily funding Planned Parenthood.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wonder how many pregnancies are attributable to Jim Beam.

http://www.litespeed.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:

My point exactly.

If she hadn't made the donation in Pence's name AND publicized it, would this be an issue?

No. If she never exercises her right to free speech and never says anything that someone disagrees with, she wouldn't have people trying to get her fired from her job. Just like the rest of us.

But in this situation who really cares? It's not going to impact her bottom line much as I suspect she generates most of her income / wealth from movies.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:

Why? You don't know any of the people. Such an action has absolutely zero impact on you, and it a basic freedom of expression "thing". Turn it around, if a prominent conservative donated to the NRA in Obama's name, would you care at all? I certainly wouldn't. The only thing more pointless about such as action is that anyone would any emotional energy on it....

BTW, I agree with your larger point. Boycotting is almost always useless, and I oppose calls for it, in the context of almost all free speech against political figures.
Last edited by: oldandslow: Nov 8, 17 12:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The boycott is to create a PR blemish on Jim Beam so they drop her as the face on their commercials. If this works, then we could expect companies to begin adding clauses in the contracts with their 'talent' stating they cannot conduct such behavior or will be subject to return monies paid, etc, etc.

I'm curious to figure out if it actually works.

I also agree with the comments that this tactic is frustrating as hell.
Quote Reply
Re: New call to boycott [JD21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I also agree with the comments that this tactic is frustrating as hell.

Why do you care?

In this case in particular, her name and face is her brand. She's directly associating her brand with Beam, Planned Parenthood, and a vindictive attack on the Vice President. If people want to give Beam feedback about how they feel about them using her as their public face and spokesperson, more power to them. Beam can do something about it, or not. It's entirely up to them, as is Kunis' decision to continue what she's doing, or associating with Beam.

Quote Reply
Re: New call to boycott [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:

vindictive attack on the Vice President

Define "vindictive" Here is a link at the clip from Conan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4T39EAnS6o

It is a peaceful protest. Calling it vindictive is setting new levels of "snowflakiness".

You are right, freedom of expression can cut both ways. Largely, I believe that almost all speech should be afforded deference AS SPEECH. Boycott calls on the basis of respectful free expression is what any conservative used to despise. Too many folks on the extremes have basically become endlessly self-contradicting caricatures of what they purport to believe.
Last edited by: oldandslow: Nov 8, 17 13:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:

My point exactly.

I'm confused. She is a spokesman for Beam meaning Beam wants people to associate her with the product. She did something they don't agree with so they are not going to purchase the product that is paying her from the association. What is your issue here?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
//In this case in particular, her name and face is her brand. She's directly associating her brand with Beam, Planned Parenthood, and a vindictive attack on the Vice President. If people want to give Beam feedback about how they feel about them using her as their public face and spokesperson, more power to them. Beam can do something about it, or not. It's entirely up to them, as is Kunis' decision to continue what she's doing, or associating with Beam. //

Of course. And I don't particularly care, I was commenting on the logic behind the call for a boycott and the potential ramifications. However, I am curious how it plays out, if at all. For the record, I'd be aggravated if someone began donating money in my name to an organization I don't support.

OTOH, I just walked by the lunch room and noticed someone placed a cake for everyone to enjoy so I grabbed a fork (I didn't want to take the time and hassle to get a place and cut the cake with a knife), cut a piece, balanced it on the fork while I walked back to my office then dropped it onto my pants when I sat down and smeared some on the floor. I'd eating the crumbs off my crotch at the moment so perhaps I'm not the person to opine on the complex topic of corporate PR.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The most bewildering part is that Mila Kunis is a paid spokesperson for Jim Beam.

That's true. Mrs. Vitus and I actually saw one of her ads just the other night and agree she was terrible in it. Trying way to hard to come across as sultry, not succeeding.

But there's also the fact that purchasing Jim Beam now means voluntarily funding Planned Parenthood.

Please tell me that was meant to be read in pink.

Why do you care?

About the tactic of sending a donation to an organization someone opposes, in their name?

Because nobody like to have actions performed in their name when they oppose those actions. Duh. It's not the end of the world, but it's childish, it's meant to be annoying, and it is. It's a passive aggressive punk ass move.

In this case in particular, her name and face is her brand. She's directly associating her brand with Beam, Planned Parenthood, and a vindictive attack on the Vice President.

Meh. Nobody thereby associates Planned Parenthood and Jim Beam.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m not going to buy Jim Beam.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: New call to boycott [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:

I'm not going to buy baby parts.
Quote Reply
Re: New call to boycott [schroeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
schroeder wrote:
Duffy wrote:

I'm not going to buy baby parts.

The thighs can be tasty.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: New call to boycott [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TimeIsUp wrote:
People are stupid. They should boycott Jim Beam because it's Jim Beam.

I'd also like to add this is fake news. Republicans don't resort to this type of behavior. That's strictly a liberal thing.

*Pink*?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote:

Please tell me that was meant to be read in pink.

I'll drop that line of reasoning if and when people who argue that tax dollars pay for PP abortions drop theirs.

Even though it happens to be technically true. It would be condescending to explain how, so I'll leave it at that.

Quote:
Why do you care?

About the tactic of sending a donation to an organization someone opposes, in their name?

Because nobody like to have actions performed in their name when they oppose those actions. Duh. It's not the end of the world, but it's childish, it's meant to be annoying, and it is. It's a passive aggressive punk ass move.

I though the person I was addressing was referring to boycotting companies for who they employ. I get why people would oppose what she's doing with regard to PP and the Vice President--which is why I don't see it as problematic when people organize to tell Jim Beam how they feel about her and what she's doing with their money.

Quote Reply
Re: New call to boycott [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
More stupid coming because now you can use 280 characters. And who is Mila Cunis?

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Last edited by: len: Nov 8, 17 15:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll drop that line of reasoning if and when people who argue that tax dollars pay for PP abortions drop theirs.

There is a world of difference between arguing that my tax money shoudn't be used to fund PP, and arguing that if I buy Jim Beam I'm voluntarily funding PP because one of Jim Beam's employee's donates to Planned Parenthood.

If you don't see that, let's agree to condescend to each other long enough to have the discussion and explain our positions.

I get why people would oppose what she's doing with regard to PP and the Vice President--which is why I don't see it as problematic when people organize to tell Jim Beam how they feel about her and what she's doing with their money.

So, again- if I oppose her expressed opinion, and/or if I find the manner in which she expressed it irritating, it's acceptable to try to get her fired?

Quote Reply

Prev Next