Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Gwen Jorgensen going for 3rd place at US Olympic trials 2020
Quote | Reply
putting my marker down now... let's revisit in three years

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Jorgensen going for 3rd place at US Olympic trials 2020 [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:

OK, so you're saying she will come in 3rd at the Mary Trials???

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Jorgensen going for 3rd place at US Olympic trials 2020 [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
ericMPro wrote:

OK, so you're saying she will come in 3rd at the Mary Trials???

Well, third or worse...

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Jorgensen going for 3rd place at US Olympic trials 2020 [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I'm a bit torn on this one. She clearly has great running chops. But I also remember Desiree's crossover attempt. Desiree did well, but never really got close to cracking into even a top 5 (or even 10?) capability at well-attended marathons.

I'm going to guess Gwen can easily go sub 2:30. But that's not going to cut it for even the trials podium, let alone Olympic gold. And as good as her running is relative to the ITU women's field, in the last few miles of a marathon, if she's somehow in the lead pack, she's going to quickly find out that everyone there has at least her level of speed, most of them significantly more. That's my sober analysis.

That said, I definitely admire the dream.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Putting my marker down, I say she takes it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Honest question, I don't know the answer.

Is GJ a better pure runner than Carol Montgomery was?

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agreed. I don't think she qualifies for the Olympics.
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Jorgensen going for 3rd place at US Olympic trials 2020 [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Honest question, I don't know the answer.

Is GJ a better pure runner than Carol Montgomery was?

hmmm - monty's 10000 PB was a 32:11 (per wikipedia), and 5000m of 15:36. to me that sounds like more 'pure' track chops than gwen, although i don't really think there's much good track data for gwen.

at the height of her tri powers gwen apparently ran a 32:21 on the road (not sure about accuracy), and at the height of her college running powers put down a 33:36 on the track at Mt.Sac.

so on balance i'd probably give monty the edge at the moment. will be interesting to see how it shakes down as gwen starts tuning her running more though.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Jorgensen going for 3rd place at US Olympic trials 2020 [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I figure Jordan Hasay will be at her prime in 2020, so there's 1st qualifier.

Shalane just proved she's a force, so maybe 2nd.

Maybe Molly Huddle moves up in distance?

Qualifing is going to be incredible dofficult, but I'm looking forward to the show.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Jorgensen going for 3rd place at US Olympic trials 2020 [doublea334] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
doublea334 wrote:

just gonna leave this here.

http://usatf-10mile-championships.runnerspace.com/...ear=2016&do=info

that was off post olympic ''training.'' so, yea.
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Jorgensen going for 3rd place at US Olympic trials 2020 [doublea334] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
doublea334 wrote:

Qualifing is going to be incredible dofficult, but I'm looking forward to the show.

Shalane is a huge question mark. There's speculation she may never run another marathon. I think she'll probably give Boston one more go then retire.

But I agree that Hasay and Huddle will be 2 of the 3. Gwen has a good shot at the 3rd slot I'd guess.

The thing most people haven't discussed is that Gwen and her coaches are the only ones that have any insight into what her true potential would be at this. We try and nit pick from 2 road races essentially immediately after winning triathlon gold. Her training performances will surely give them much more insight into what they think she can do.
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Jorgensen going for 3rd place at US Olympic trials 2020 [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How much insight does her new coach/group have into cross training from triathletes? IE ramping up the run volume to achieve the training levels that are needed to get the time down. She has what 2.25 years, that's not really a lot of a time, a little niggle injury here or there and you lose 2 months etc. So that to me will be interesting to see just what her actual training volume looks like. I dont remember if she has ever been injured while training under JT.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Nov 8, 17 9:52
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Jorgensen going for 3rd place at US Olympic trials 2020 [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
doublea334 wrote:

and the fact that she left no stone unturned to achieve her goal to win gold in rio.
i have no idea how far she will go, but i have no doubt that she thought this well through, with her advisors.
will be interesting to watch.

Its a pity she is leaving tri .
flora and gwen would have been great for the sport
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:

My marker is that she doesn't make the team at all.
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Jorgensen going for 3rd place at US Olympic trials 2020 [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
doublea334 wrote:

This is interesting....

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
.......no mention of Amy Cragg yet? Talented and as tough as anyone.

i think third in the trials would be a great result. one thing that may help is that most of the top US women are already in their mid 30s (Amy, Desi Linden, Molly Huddle, Shalane) and the miles will catch up with one or two of them in the next 3 years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gwen is 5'10" and 126lbs currently. That's big for a marathon runner, even a male marathoner. OTOH Paula Radcliffe was 5'8" and 119lbs, so it is not disqualifying, just makes it unlikely Gwen can be a good marathoner. Paula was a massive outlier in many ways. So is Gwen of course, between her physical talent and smart analytical training methods, it may be possible..

'Average' Olympic women marathoners are 5'4" and 105lbs. Jordan Hasay is 5'4" though I don't find a weight, would guess she is not over 100lbs, basically the perfect build for marathon. Ten-mile races are very different from marathons..

Specifically for Tokyo the likely heat of the race will make it immensely difficult for a big runner to do well. But I do hope to see GJ there, will be cheering for her all the way..

"It is a good feeling for old men who have begun to fear failure, any sort of failure, to set a schedule for exercise and stick to it. If an aging man can run a distance of three miles, for instance, he knows that whatever his other failures may be, he is not completely wasted away." Romain Gary, SI interview
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Jorgensen going for 3rd place at US Olympic trials 2020 [doug in co] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love the the 'runners brave the heat' pic in that article has some guy in full black sleeves on arms & legs

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Jorgensen going for 3rd place at US Olympic trials 2020 [doug in co] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
doug in co wrote:
Paula was a massive outlier in many ways.

I'll say...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’d assume she’s “bigger” because she was training for triathlons. Not bigger just because of her build. I’d imagine she sheds some weight once swimming and biking are out of the picture.

I also think it may have something to do with having a baby based on the video. I wonder if biking became more difficult or painful because of hip/pelvis structural changes from giving birth. the video didn’t seem all sunshine and roses about her giving birth almost made it sound like she got hurt from it.
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Jorgensen going for 3rd place at US Olympic trials 2020 [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grant.Reuter wrote:
I’d assume she’s “bigger” because she was training for triathlons. Not bigger just because of her build. I’d imagine she sheds some weight once swimming and biking are out of the picture.

I also think it may have something to do with having a baby based on the video. I wonder if biking became more difficult or painful because of hip/pelvis structural changes from giving birth. the video didn’t seem all sunshine and roses about her giving birth almost made it sound like she got hurt from it.

If you read her blog, it sounded like she needed surgery to fix serious issues with her pelvic floor after birth. Running isn't great for your pelvic floor but I imagine it's better than biking.

In regards to weight/build discussion, the 5th place finisher at NYC (Allie Kieffer) has a bigger build. She talks about it in a post-race interview.

For what it's worth I don't think Gwen will make the Olympic team. I do think her can-do attitude is what makes her such a fierce competitor, though - some people don't even consider failure an option.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
doublea334 wrote:

I doubt Shalane will be a factor. I suspect her career was made last Sunday. But Amy Cragg will be. And so will Des Linden (who just finished 7th at Rio).

We've entered a great age of US women's distance running. Watching Gwen go for this will be fascinating.
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Jorgensen going for 3rd place at US Olympic trials 2020 [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
so on balance i'd probably give monty the edge at the moment. will be interesting to see how it shakes down as gwen starts tuning her running more though.

In terms of Jorgensen's ultimate ability as a runner - there are a good deal of unknowns here and only time will tell.

For only a brief period - last two years at Wisconsin, did she focus only on running (to the best of my knowledge). She came over from the Varisity swim program after and year and ran Varsity XC/Track for the final two years. Then it was right into triathlon training from there.

Who knows what the upside is, if she JUST focuses on running. She was able to get faster in her 10K running, while triathlon training. The central system aerobic engine of her's is big - with all the training of swim/bike/run for the past 5 - 6 years added up. Her challenge, will be staying healthy with run only training and a move to more weekly distance than she has ever run in her life!

You mentioned Carol Montgomery - when Montgomery was at her best as a triathlete, she was also a VERY fast 10K runner - fast enough to qualify for the Canadian Olympic Team in 2000 for the triathlon AND the 10000m on the track - an unprecedented achievement in Olympic Sports history.

We all know that Simon Whitfield won the Gold Medal in the first men's Olympic triathlon. The unfortunate part of all that is, that Carol Montgomery, was a REAL serious threat for the win or at the very least a podium spot in that first women's Olympic Games Triathlon. The way she was running at the time, had she been close at the end of the bike, it would have been lights-out for the others. As many know, Carol crashed on the bike, broke her wrist and was unable to continue in the triathlon, and that also took her out of the 10,000m on the track the following week.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Jorgensen going for 3rd place at US Olympic trials 2020 [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree that 10k results and the marathon are two different animals. Gwen has a much different life now and I wonder if she will have the focus and determination she had before. That is before Olympic Gold and before Stanley. Also I am assuming before big bucks.
I don't know if Gwen has the body type to sustain the training it would take. And I think it is just too competitive at the top. But I do think Flanagan will be long retired by 2010.
I completely understand why she doesn't want to compete in ITU due to travel/ time commitment. But declaring the marathon is her focus is pretty surprising IMO.
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Jorgensen going for 3rd place at US Olympic trials 2020 [Pat0] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Look how much $$$ Kara Goucher still makes. She doesnt have to be the best, just a cute competitive ambassador for USA. She will do well enough to be marketable (cute mommy gold medal athlete) and make a lot more money without all the training hours and travel. Smart move on her part.
Quote Reply

Prev Next