Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
2018 Race Plans
Quote | Reply
So... what is on the calendar for 2018?

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Race Plans [SLOgoing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What's on the list for you?

I'm signing up for my USAC license in December. It will be my first go at cycle racing. I'm on the fence about road and crit races, but definitely all in for TTs, including one that is a hill climb.

And this is now on its way as a retirement gift to myself--it's "me sized" with 36cm bars, short reach shifters and 152 cranks!

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Last edited by: Tri3: Nov 6, 17 11:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If there is enough snow I will learn to XC ski and do a short race at the Birkie!

And I am contemplating a return to multi sport at the Penticton Super League. This is still very much in contemplation stage.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Race Plans [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yay for new bike day!

I didnā€™t know short reach shifters were a thing. I might need to look into that for my tiny hands.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been trying to decide if I am going to run a spring 2018 marathon. Still thinking...

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Race Plans [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes, Microshift has the SB-R402K(S) Dual Control Levers for 2 x 10 Speed, short reach version (10mm)

Not only do I have child size hands, between the bike crash injury and arthritis, I have a hard time grasping. I'm hoping these will be better than the "full size" Ultegra shifters I tried to use at one point.

The only down side, as far as I can tell, is that the cables are routed externally (ie, not under bar tape).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Scheherazade wrote:
If there is enough snow I will learn to XC ski and do a short race at the Birkie!

There will be. Do it, it's fun!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A birkie would be so much fun! I picked up some used skis and boots (no poles yet) a couple of years ago, but haven't gotten around to trying them yet.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Race Plans [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Registration opens on the 28th but I've already got Dan on board. AND my physio might do it with me too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yikes! Snow stuff. We don't have any of that, so no snow racing for me.

In 2018 I'm aiming for:

Backpacking x2
70.3 x3
OLY x3
Sprint x3
10k Run x1
5k Run x1
25k Trail x1

I've registered for:

March Triathlon Series (OLY) - as a guide!
Wildflower (70.3)

On my radar...

MdO Trail Run 25k
La Cuesta Trail Run 25k
Wildfire Tri (sprint) - if they do it again (super small race)
SLO Tri (sprint)
Santa Barbara (odd distance)

But, I REALLY want to do a SwimRun. I would do good at that. I just don't have a like-speed partner. All my friends are fast runners and slow swimmers. I'm a fast swimmer and a medium runner. I'm giving myself a goal prize of when I get down to 150 pounds I can do a SwimRun. Maybe my sister will do it with me...

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Still planning!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am having a post-IM slump, so I haven't decided. I would like to do more trail racing, and maybe some mountain biking. Unfortunately, the two trail races that I most want to do have registration that fills up almost immediately. Despite having done two ultras, an IM, and IMNC (short bike), I have never run a marathon. There is a local one that is small and hilly, so I am thinking about doing that. I might also do the Savageman 70 again because I am in the area.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Been awhile since I stopped by - hi womens! Awesome to see all the ambitious planning going on here!

Jan: Stride Inside 6-hour indoor track race + 3-hour Frosty Trail winter trail race

May: Seaton Soaker 50k - the river crossing in this one is fun, and I'll get to do it twice as it's 2 out-and-backs on a 12.5k trail. Also going to pace a friend through about 40km of their first hundred miler a couple of weeks later.

June: Niagara Ultra 100k. Notoriously hot, big effin' hill in the middle, and on a paved path which is going to beat the hell out of me. But, there's a hoodie, and this will be my "long day on feet" plus more double out-and-back mental training. Plus, the turn-around is right at Niagara Falls!

July: Limberlost 56k - going to stack this with the Haliburton training run the next day (40k) for my big back-to-back weekend

August: 2nd Hali training run (40k) to get as much time as I can on the course

September: attempting the Haliburton Forest 100 miler as my first hundo. I did the 50mi two months ago today and it was challenging but incredibly beautiful - having finished that in just under 13hrs I know I have a strong possibility of failing to make the 30hr cut-off for the 100mi, but I'm giving it a whack. The 100 is a double out-and-back, and I'll be starting the second trip out at sunset. It's going to be tough, but I'm hoping I can be tougher. I get the hoodie regardless - have to finish sub 30hrs for the buckle, though.

October: my husband and I have volunteered to paddle in an aid station for the new La Cloche Endurance Runs 50mi and 100mi. Free backcountry camping in Killarney Provincial Park for the weekend! I'll race the Horror Trail 6-hour at the end of the month, too.

There may be the occasional other race sprinkled in (mostly as supported training days), but that's the shape of 2018 for me.

Last edited by: mistressk: Nov 8, 17 7:29
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Race Plans [mistressk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MK, good to hear from you. That's quite a lineup of races!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That La Cloche Endurance run looks gorgeous. I wish I were closer so I could do that.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Race Plans [happyscientist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Tri3 - hoping I'll be able to pull it all off!

happyscientist, it truly is an incredible venue - I've backpacked parts of that trail and it's as stunning as it is challenging. I honestly don't know if I'll ever be able to do more than volunteer there, though: I just barely qualify for the 50mi based on squeaking in under 13hrs at the Hali 50mi, but I have so many food allergies that I have to carry all of my own nutrition in races and I just don't know if I'm capable of carrying 50mi worth of stuff on me (since there are no drop bags) and still running safely. Looking forward to paddling in an aid station with my partner in crime and camping, though!

Quote | Reply
Tri3,

Where do you live? I just switched primarily to Road Racing from triathlon this season (2017), live in Southern California.

:)
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Race Plans [laurenwebb3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As my handle suggests, I'm a new-ish triathlete in SoCal, laurenwebb3 :D

I haven't signed up for any triathlons yet. I suspect I'll stick with the 70.3 distance because I like it the most. I missed the window at Oceanside but am considering St. George (May 5), Victoria 70.3 (Jun 3), and/or Santa Rosa 70.3 (July 28) OR Calgary 70.3 (July 29).

I'm open to suggestions and might just follow SLO around like I did this past season.

Outside of tri, I'm signed up for two very different 24 hour running/MTB/climbing/adventure racing events in January and February as well as the Alcatraz Sharkfest Swim in June.

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Race Plans [SoCalTricurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You need to come do Wildflower (May 5). Why?

1. It is camping + tri + music fest
2. We have water - come while it lasts
3. You haven't lived until you've done Wildflower

:-)

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After an awful year of chronic Iļø juries and health issues Iā€™ve decided to jump back in with 2 feet. Iļø hope to get back to Kona after 10 years. Registering for IM Texas now. Will start training the Monday after Thanksgiving.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Race Plans [GhiaGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GhiaGirl wrote:
After an awful year of chronic Iļø juries and health issues Iā€™ve decided to jump back in with 2 feet. Iļø hope to get back to Kona after 10 years. Registering for IM Texas now. Will start training the Monday after Thanksgiving.

YEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm planning to do some aqua bike races, but not sure which ones. I do miss running and trail racing, especially since running is so much better than riding here. I have gotten back in the pool and might do a swim meet in the spring. Biggest goal is to get % body fat down and get back in shape.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After swearing off marathons I signed up for IMMT 70.3 and IMLP, then figured why not toss in the NYC marathon! Look out 2018!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the La Cloche run looks just tremendous.. thank you for paddling in the aid station, and supporting the ultra nuts..
the website says bear spray is recommended.. guess one waterbottle on the hydration vest, the other side a bear spray.. hard core !
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Race Plans [doug in co] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Supporting the ultra nuts is just sort of quid pro quo for me - I try to get out to volunteer at a minimum of one race per year, and I'm grateful that my husband is amazing about volunteering at most of the events in which I participate so I can give back even while I'm racing.

Killarney is no joke - true northern wilderness. I anticipate a pretty high DNF rate even with the vetting process, especially if there's the least bit of inclement weather. Snow is a pretty solid possibility at that time of year.

Quote | Reply
70.3 Oceanside in April and 140.6 Cozumel in a year from today. On my way to a hopeful Kona slot in April of 2019 (AG 60-64) in South Africa. If not, then I'll try again in Cozumel.

There, my A-race schedule for the next two years ;-)

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply

Prev Next