I hear “Immune to flats? Really?
Quote Reply
Re: Is anyone using Tubeless for racing? [scca_ita] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scca_ita wrote:
What distance?
It the tech mature?

Yes. Since I'm a roadie, everything from prologue TT (6-7 miles) to longer road races (100 miles+)

Yes, the tech is fairly mature. Stuff works.

No, not immune to flats. My perception is that it mitigates about 2/3 of punctures. Meaning that there's either minimal air loss or it's enough air to keep going (very useful for a roadie to be able to get to the pit area of a criterium or keep rolling until a support vehicle reaches you). The other 1/3 it'll go totally flat. These are usually things like sidewall slashes, etc.

It's been worthwhile for me. But it's not the complete Promised Land.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been running tubeless on my race wheels for the last 2 years. Only time I flatted was in training when I hit a large chunk of glass. I have been running the Bontrager R3 25mm Tubless tires (technically 26mm).

I ran them in all of my races so sprint/oly/half. I have not done a full yet, but I would run them in that if I did.

The small punctures you are pretty much immune to, but large gashes you would still flat. Sealer can only seal certain size holes, but that is getting to be larger than it used to be, with some of the new sealer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tubeless mis adventure.
Being a typical obsessive cyclist
i jumped on tubeless concept to never have another twilight
along a busy road or late for family function flat again.
I ordered some american classic 420 tubeless rims and
25mm Shwalbe celebrated tubeless tires. Instruction were to use soapy water and
no spoons or levers for install. Holly crap they were tight. I ran a
sink full of hottest water possible , added some dish soap
and heated tires up to improve flexibility. I got them on with
a lever,injected 2 oz of sealer , and had time to ride 20 miles and they road like my usual conti s.
2 days later front was low so I tried to take it off with bare hands and could not.
I tried to take it off with a spoon and screw drivers and could not. I couldn t
even wiggle bead loose. Try to pry up with channel locks and
every thing else in tool box. Not sure if it was sealer (looked like elmers glue)
kevlar bead fibers, or a combination. I found there was no way
I could dismount and repair in a race or any ride. I would need to carry
razor knife and spare folded tire.

Is this possible hoax the reason the main stay brands arn t promoting tubeless road tires?

Are there tubeless tires I can dismount ?

Gonna need 3 glow sticks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
scca_ita wrote:
What distance?
It the tech mature?

All my bikes are tubeless (4) and my wife's 2 race bikes are as well. 70.3 and IM, she qualified for Kona on them. Are they fun to install and remove, sure but its not impossible but it does take patience. Have they done what I expected them to, yes. Did I get a flat with one, yes. I wasn't able to find the culprit but there was a nasty gash in the front tire and it just puked sealant. Upgraded to Stans Race formula after that and no issues since then. Bontrager Aeolus wheels with Pro One tires.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have ridden 15,000 miles on road tubless without a flat. Proabbaly saved me one this year at WC 70.3, I hit a hole so hard it burped some air(20psi) and left a noticeable ring indention around the tire. I do not carry a spare in a race as they are a real pita to get off.
Quote Reply
Re: Is anyone using Tubeless for racing? [DBF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Me, for 3 years. Wheels/Tires survived some major square edge hits that would have flatted me out of races with tubes. I am running Bontrager TLR wheels and Tires, so fitment is pretty good.
Quote Reply