Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

FTP expectations
Quote | Reply
 Just caught up to the rest of the world, and was curious if there are any ideas about what my FTP should be at 65 yrs old? A number I should shoot for?
Thanks!

🐾
Quote Reply
Re: FTP expectations [wawaski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The biggest factor to FTP (other than fitness) is your size. As such, a common measure of "how good" an FTP is is watts/kilogram of body weight (w/kg). And of course, that weight can be either muscle or fat, which is why people's ftp can fluctuate widely when factored with bike fitness. Start by evaluating your weight and current fitness level to set a baseline in your mind, then go do a 20 minute power test. If you are relatively unfit and/or have extra weight, you can know there is a fair amount of wiggle room to make gains, whereas if you are close to peak fitness and don't carry much weight, your gains will be smaller.

If you want an example, I am 5'4/122 lbs (55.45 kg), my 30 minute power as of this weekend is 209, so my FTP is going to be right around 200 (95ish% of 209). My watts/kg is 3.61, though my goal is to increase it to at least 3.8 by the end of the season by dropping a few pounds and doing more bike training.
Quote Reply
Re: FTP expectations [fate] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 Super! Initial test today, 5'9"/149 here.

🐾
Quote Reply